• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Death Penalty (or lack thereof) in California

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

Just out of curiosity, was your use of the singular form of a definite article intentional? Are you actually implying that there’s just one black market to which they all belong?

"I never said that."

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

Minorities also routinely get stiffer sentences for similar crimes then their white counter parts.  Especially drug related offenses.  Also related to the representation issue.   This is something that has been researched heavily.  It’s indisputable.  Pretty solid evidence of systematic injustice. 

I would like to see the data on this.

Thanks

I'd like to see if sentencing data is based on priors or the data simply shows the last in a series of convictions. A career criminal is certainly getting harsher sentencing than first time offenders. This isn't traffic court where your parking fine is always the same amount no matter how many previous fines were paid.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

I’m not trying to make any racial point.

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Since 1973, 161 people who were sentenced to death have been acquitted on appeal, had charges dismissed, or been pardoned based on evidence of innocence. 

By my count about 90 of them were black. 

Makes you wonder how many have actually been put to death who didn’t have the means or methods to prove themselves innocent 

This is why I think your being disingenuous about this whole thing, which actually comes as a surprise to me because I have always found you to be anything but that in all of your previous posts. 

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

This is why I think your being disingenuous about this whole thing, which actually comes as a surprise to me because I have always found you to be anything but that in all of your previous posts. 

I mentioned the blacks because the others brought it up. My point was that when that many death sentence convictions could be undone then how many more who were actually executed might also have been undone if the same resources were available. 

I asked MAGA about the black community grouping because I find it lazy to group that way 

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

This isn't just a black/white issue.  It's a wealth/non-wealth issue.  The discrepancy is too much to take someone's life.  It is the one punishment you can't fix.

Exactly. 

Watch Making a Murderer. Steven Avery went to jail for 18 years for a tape he didn't commit. He provided a time stamp receipt from a store 30 miles away from the scene while the crime was being committed plus had 16 people verify his whereabouts on that day and still went to jail for 18 years. 

Look how they police and his attorneys treated his nephew during the murder trial. 

There might be a bias in the documentary but I believe it represents the issues with our criminal justice system. 

4 hours ago, RallyMo said:

It's also a clever response when I'm right, which I am.

Also, of course Cal lost to Stanford. They're terrible. 

Wrong. 

about being right, not that Cal is terrible. 

btw, we just beat Stanford, leading wire-to-wire. 

1 hour ago, RallyMo said:

How in the world am I wrong? There's no way that we'll have across the board certainly on all cases. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's holding onto here. The only way Louf can believe you're wrong is if he didn't follow along and then stripped your quote from its context... perhaps unintentionally.

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/33793-death-penalty-or-lack-thereof-in-california/?tab=comments#comment-1094334

I'd be interested to hear the stats of the racial breakdown of the victims of those on death row. Particularly, do blacks get sentenced to death more often if the victim(s) is white? 

(I ask this with the understanding that particular case details influence the decision)

Edited by Lou

14 hours ago, Lou said:

You didn't say "on all cases" 

I don't really think that I needed to based on the conversation that we were  having in the thread. It's not as if I was the only person to express the sentiment. Also, there are obviously plenty of individual cases where there's absolute certainty.

10 hours ago, RallyMo said:

I don't really think that I needed to based on the conversation that we were  having in the thread. It's not as if I was the only person to express the sentiment. Also, there are obviously plenty of individual cases where there's absolute certainty.

Yes, you needed to say it.

Read the rules.