• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Death Penalty (or lack thereof) in California

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Well yeah, there are a lot more white people.

African Americans make up 12.6% of the us population, but are 34.5% of all people executed during the same period.  Also the current death row population is equal between black and whites.

Total population doesn't depict the rate of blacks vs white who are sentenced to death, however. You need to compare the numbers to the prison population. All people not in prison have a 0% chance of being sentenced to die. 

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Well yeah, there are a lot more white people.

African Americans make up 12.6% of the us population, but are 34.5% of all people executed during the same period.  Also the current death row population is equal between black and whites.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/187239.pdf

The child murder may be why the death penalty is used more. This is just one thing though

On March 6, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Adam said:

It isn't worth having a death penalty if this is the process. Plus it requires 100% accuracy to be just. 

I'm good with 28.2%, which coincidentally was Cal's shooting percentage from the field vs Stanford today. 

44 minutes ago, Lou said:

How many is that? 

That is the unknown factor.  It would be nice if there is clear indisputable proof on all cases on death row.  But we don't know that, hence the need for the appeals process.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

That is the unknown factor.  It would be nice if there is clear indisputable proof on all cases on death row.  But we don't know that, hence the need for the appeals process.

I have no problem with an appeals process. I have a problem with one that takes 3 decades, however. 

8 hours ago, Rico said:

Are they though?  Or are they simply more likely to be sentenced to death for the same crime simply because they are black?

If Brock Turner were a black kid he would still be in jail right now.

let's be realistic for a minute, rico.

there's no such thing as a black kid named brock.

Since 1973, 161 people who were sentenced to death have been acquitted on appeal, had charges dismissed, or been pardoned based on evidence of innocence. 

By my count about 90 of them were black. 

Makes you wonder how many have actually been put to death who didn’t have the means or methods to prove themselves innocent 

12 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Yes. Blacks commit murder at almost 6 times the rate of whites. In terms of murders committed between blacks and whites it's almost completely equal.

Source here: https://infogram.com/us-crime-in-black-and-white-1gzxop49q0okmwy

The biggest contributor to this is I believe the rate of single motherhood in the black community.

Just out of curiosity, was your use of the singular form of a definite article intentional? Are you actually implying that there’s just one black community to which they all belong?

49 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Since 1973, 161 people who were sentenced to death have been acquitted on appeal, had charges dismissed, or been pardoned based on evidence of innocence. 

By my count about 90 of them were black. 

Makes you wonder how many have actually been put to death who didn’t have the means or methods to prove themselves innocent 

Perhaps they just had better lawyers. 

5 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Who?

The blacks who you referred to in your post.

Also, by your count, that comes to 56% who are black. Not quite the overwhelming amount that people here seem to be claiming.