• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday : 2/24 Angels vs Brewers

Spirit

Good first inning from Ohtani.  I do think it's important that we, as fans, pump the brakes on the hype machine for Ohtani and have realistic expectations.  He has all the potential in the world, but he will go through rough patches as he adjusts to an entirely new world - new country, new culture, new baseball system, hell, even different baseball weights now (compared to Japan's baseballs).  I am confident he'll be a star for us down the line, but he definitely will go through an adjustment period as well.  Probably unfair to him to assume he is an ace immediately.

If Ohtani does struggle to start off the regular season, we have to remember that no every star player do well early on in their careers. Trout, Altuve, Kershaw, and many others didn't play like the players we all know today in their first year of playing in the Major Leagues. Most guys take like 3-4 years to become superstars, although Trout only took a year to reach that level.

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Shohei showed a little Blanton there.

Doesn't matter how hard you throw, if a hitter is sitting dead red fastball and you throw it right down the middle of the plate, you're going to destroy the baseball. 

In Ohtani's next start I'd like to see more secondary pitches from him to mix things up. 

Overall, good first start. I'm sure his jitters are over with now as typically Japanese players have ice in their veins. 

Just now, fan_since79 said:

Kershaw dominates on a 93mph fastball, a devastating curve, and a deceptive delivery.

Give Ohtani a little time. He could be another great one. The talent is there.

Kershaw sucked in his first year (2008) in the majors. Even the greatest players in the game don't always do well in their first year. 

5 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

If Ohtani does struggle to start off the regular season, we have to remember that no every star player do well early on in their careers. Trout, Altuve, Kershaw, and many others didn't play like the players we all know today in their first year of playing in the Major Leagues. Most guys take like 3-4 years to become superstars, although Trout only took a year to reach that level.

Absolutely.  It's unfair to assume he comes in and dominates everyone right away.  I'd be happy with him pitching 120-130 IP this year and pitching like a #2/#3 in his first full season with us, while showing us the promise that he can in subsequent seasons elevated to a 150+ IP #1/#2 SP.

5 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Trout, Altuve, Kershaw, and many others didn't play like the players we all know today in their first year of playing in the Major Leagues. Most guys take like 3-4 years to become superstars, although Trout only took a year to reach that level.

Trout's first year was all of 40 games, as an injury replacement for Peter Bourjos.

Just now, Warfarin said:

Absolutely.  It's unfair to assume he comes in and dominates everyone right away.  I'd be happy with him pitching 120-130 IP this year and pitching like a #2/#3 in his first full season with us, while showing us the promise that he can in subsequent seasons elevated to a 150+ IP #1/#2 SP.

I think Ohtani can give the Angels a season of 140-150 innings pitch with a 3.50 ERA and a good WHIP. Needs to take advantage of the great defense behind him and pitcher friendly Angels Stadium.