• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question re: cord cutting

I got rid of cable at the end of November last year and I've been with YouTube TV since. I honestly don't think you can beat the service for $50 per month. It has MLB Network, FOX Sports West, Prime Ticket, FOX Sports San Diego,  and a bunch of college sports channels. It has all the local channels, except channel 5 (KTLA). There are add-on options for most of the premium cable networks (except HBO, which I can access through Prime Video, if I ever want to subscribe). The unlimited DVR is great, too. Any show that you add to your library automatically records (it doesn't record the same episode twice), and each recording is available for 6 months. It also seems to be relatively smart about when to stop recording a sports event, if the game happens to run past the allotted scheduled time.

My only real complaint is that sometimes the DVR functionality isn't always reliable when trying to pause and rewind a live show. I'm not sure if that's an issue with my smart TV or maybe an issue with my internet speed. I have the $65 per month plan for internet through Spectrum, so I doubt it's a speed issue. It may also just be a glitch with the service. One additional small complaint is that sometimes the feed will simply cut out and it will take me back to the live menu screen and I have to go back to the channel I was watching to continue watching the show.

Aside from those small gripes, I'm tremendously happy with YouTube TV. It has nearly all of the channels I usually watch (the only one it doesn't have is Comedy Central, which I used to watch occasionally). It also allows for separate accounts for as many as 6 people in the same household. Plus, each account gets their own personal unlimited DVR.

I'm actually saving quite a bit of money each month. I had Spectrum cable and internet previously. I kept the internet for $65 and then subscribed to YouTube TV for $50. My last bill from Spectrum that included both cable and internet was $231 (the junk fees and cost of each DVR box were ridiculous and only getting worse). So at this point, barring a price increase from either service, I'll be saving nearly $1,400 per year.

1 hour ago, Ray McKigney said:

I got rid of cable at the end of November last year and I've been with YouTube TV since. I honestly don't think you can beat the service for $50 per month. It has MLB Network, FOX Sports West, Prime Ticket, FOX Sports San Diego,  and a bunch of college sports channels. It has all the local channels, except channel 5 (KTLA). There are add-on options for most of the premium cable networks (except HBO, which I can access through Prime Video, if I ever want to subscribe). The unlimited DVR is great, too. Any show that you add to your library automatically records (it doesn't record the same episode twice), and each recording is available for 6 months. It also seems to be relatively smart about when to stop recording a sports event, if the game happens to run past the allotted scheduled time.

My only real complaint is that sometimes the DVR functionality isn't always reliable when trying to pause and rewind a live show. I'm not sure if that's an issue with my smart TV or maybe an issue with my internet speed. I have the $65 per month plan for internet through Spectrum, so I doubt it's a speed issue. It may also just be a glitch with the service. One additional small complaint is that sometimes the feed will simply cut out and it will take me back to the live menu screen and I have to go back to the channel I was watching to continue watching the show.

Aside from those small gripes, I'm tremendously happy with YouTube TV. It has nearly all of the channels I usually watch (the only one it doesn't have is Comedy Central, which I used to watch occasionally). It also allows for separate accounts for as many as 6 people in the same household. Plus, each account gets their own personal unlimited DVR.

I'm actually saving quite a bit of money each month. I had Spectrum cable and internet previously. I kept the internet for $65 and then subscribed to YouTube TV for $50. My last bill from Spectrum that included both cable and internet was $231 (the junk fees and cost of each DVR box were ridiculous and only getting worse). So at this point, barring a price increase from either service, I'll be saving nearly $1,400 per year.

Thanks for posting this. PlayStation Vue is discontinuing service to a few of us in about two weeks and we need options. I heard good things about this (except I was hoping that if I ordered the service I would also get the ad free YouTube, which I was told is a negative) and even when Sony sent out emails it mentioned going over to YouTube tv for something comparable.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Thanks for posting this. PlayStation Vue is discontinuing service to a few of us in about two weeks and we need options. I heard good things about this (except I was hoping that if I ordered the service I would also get the ad free YouTube, which I was told is a negative) and even when Sony sent out emails it mentioned going over to YouTube tv for something comparable.

You're welcome and I hope it helps. I tried the free trials for almost all of the streaming services (YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu Live, etc.) I found YouTube TV to offer the most for the best price. The unlimited DVR is also a huge feature that the others don't offer. It's basically $50 a month for 6 separate accounts (each with their own unlimited DVR). From my perspective, it's the best deal out of all of the services.

If you end up trying it out, I'd be interested to hear if you have the same issue with the DVR pause and rewind during live shows and the issue with it cutting out and redirecting back to the live menu screen. I'm trying to figure out if that's a common problem that's just a glitch within the app or if it's a problem on my end that I can somehow remedy. The issues don't happen very often, but when they do, it's kind of annoying.

it's been more than 3 years since i cut cable.  

comes to about $3000 i've been able to put to much better use.  i quit paying for coffee 4X/week right around the same time, so that's another $600 or so saved.  

the only reason i could see going back is if somehow the m's were ever able to contend....so probably around 2049.  so i'm looking at about $30,000 in savings during that time. 

but seriously.  give it a try. that's my advice to people on the fence about cord cutting. 

I finally signed up for vudu. Has king of the hill.... so that decided it.

Im a tv junky.... and then i realized i really dont watch it. I just rewatch the same movies all the time... while i read, play on my phone etc.

To those considering it. The basic service is like 10 bucks or so a month. Ill upgrade when the season starts. Cancel afterwards, back down to the 10 bucks or so.

On 1/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, Ray McKigney said:

You're welcome and I hope it helps. I tried the free trials for almost all of the streaming services (YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu Live, etc.) I found YouTube TV to offer the most for the best price. The unlimited DVR is also a huge feature that the others don't offer. It's basically $50 a month for 6 separate accounts (each with their own unlimited DVR). From my perspective, it's the best deal out of all of the services.

If you end up trying it out, I'd be interested to hear if you have the same issue with the DVR pause and rewind during live shows and the issue with it cutting out and redirecting back to the live menu screen. I'm trying to figure out if that's a common problem that's just a glitch within the app or if it's a problem on my end that I can somehow remedy. The issues don't happen very often, but when they do, it's kind of annoying.

Will do as I think I’m going to go this route.

Curious question, if one purchases YouTube TV, it doesn’t grant you ad free viewing for the YouTube account, does it? I was told no, ad I mentioned in my post, but since you subscribe you would know better than her.

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Will do as I think I’m going to go this route.

Curious question, if one purchases YouTube TV, it doesn’t grant you ad free viewing for the YouTube account, does it? I was told no, ad I mentioned in my post, but since you subscribe you would know better than her.

I know that YouTube TV and YouTube Premium are separate. I think YouTube Premium costs $12 per month. With YouTube TV, I can watch YouTube originals, like the Cobra Kai series, and those don't have any ads. But, I think the regular YouTube videos still contain ads.

51 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

I know that YouTube TV and YouTube Premium are separate. I think YouTube Premium costs $12 per month. With YouTube TV, I can watch YouTube originals, like the Cobra Kai series, and those don't have any ads. But, I think the regular YouTube videos still contain ads.

Gotcha. I think I’ll just pay for it. I think I spend more time on YouTube than anything with all the podcasts, comedy, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party, but I am ready to kick DirecTV to the curb. The final straw came when we bought a 4K TV for the living room. Three online chats and five phone calls later, I was no closer to getting the equipment that I needed than I was when I started. Customer service is likely in India, judging from the accents that I am hearing in the other end of the phone. Their comprehension isn't great. After giving them my phone number four times, they still couldn't seem to figure out what I wanted.

I finally went to my neighborhood AT&T Store, because the website said that I could. During that conversation, it came up that AT&T is about to introduce a streaming service, and the ultimate goal is to wean people off of the dish (people who live in remote areas without reliable high speed internet may be the only ones left when it all shakes out). I wasn't really sold on AT&T TV (which if the advertising is correct, goes up to near DirecTV prices after a teaser first year), but I am sold on the idea of dumping the dish and moving on. DirecTV customer service is an oxymoron since AT&T took them over (I used to have great luck with it), and I'm done. I am evaluating television services to see what will be the best. I would like local channels, because the antennas for over-the-air HDTV are just another expense and, from what I can tell, hit-and-miss quality as far as signal.

• 4 months later...

YouTube TV has announced that it’ll be raising its monthly price from $50 per month to $64.99 as the company starts to offer eight of ViacomCBS’s channels, which are available today: BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land, and VH1.