• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question re: cord cutting

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just received this note from Playstation Vue:

After more than four years of innovating in the Pay TV industry, we regret to inform you that Sony Interactive Entertainment is discontinuing the PlayStation Vue service on January 30, 2020. We appreciate your support of our pioneering live TV service over this time.

PlayStation Vue will continue to deliver live, On Demand and DVR programs until the service discontinuation date of January 30, 2020.
Subscribers will receive their final charge for PlayStation Vue in the month of December. Active paid subscribers will not be charged for the service after December 31, 2019. 

For more information on the service discontinuation please see visit the FAQ page here.

Review your current plan details or cancel here. If you cancel your service, you may not be able to re-subscribe. Please look out for additional updates and information in the coming weeks.

Thank you for your understanding and patronage.

- The PlayStation™Vue team

------------

So to all the PS Vue users, where are you going to go now?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Just received this note from Playstation Vue:

After more than four years of innovating in the Pay TV industry, we regret to inform you that Sony Interactive Entertainment is discontinuing the PlayStation Vue service on January 30, 2020. We appreciate your support of our pioneering live TV service over this time.

PlayStation Vue will continue to deliver live, On Demand and DVR programs until the service discontinuation date of January 30, 2020.
Subscribers will receive their final charge for PlayStation Vue in the month of December. Active paid subscribers will not be charged for the service after December 31, 2019. 

For more information on the service discontinuation please see visit the FAQ page here.

Review your current plan details or cancel here. If you cancel your service, you may not be able to re-subscribe. Please look out for additional updates and information in the coming weeks.

Thank you for your understanding and patronage.

- The PlayStation™Vue team

------------

So to all the PS Vue users, where are you going to go now?

Seems like a pretty good thing for YouTube TV especially. Try to pick up a good chunk of the people that will be available customers in that market, do everything possible to keep costs to the consumer down for awhile, and invest a ton into original content that you don't have to buy the broadcast rights to. Maybe operate at a loss for a few years, but try to take control of a corner everyone will come to.

Yeah, I just got the email, too. I guess Amazon or Youtube is the next move. I honestly watch Youtube more than regular TV anyway. If I can get sports I will be happy with Youtube as their service will also drop all the ads that cut in between videos/podcasts of shit I watch.

I don't know anyone who has playstation vue.  I'm down to prime, sling, hulu and some free channels.  I cut netflix because I felt like I was paying for a bunch of content they rushed out and I can't in good conscience contribute to any more Adam Sandler movies.  I think I'm just a bad consumer and not the target audience for a lot of the new channels coming out.  Between what I have I'll never run out of material to watch yet at the same time I can flip through and not want to watch anything which even used to happen when I had cable with every movie channel available.

7 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I don't know anyone who has playstation vue.  I'm down to prime, sling, hulu and some free channels.  I cut netflix because I felt like I was paying for a bunch of content they rushed out and I can't in good conscience contribute to any more Adam Sandler movies.  I think I'm just a bad consumer and not the target audience for a lot of the new channels coming out.  Between what I have I'll never run out of material to watch yet at the same time I can flip through and not want to watch anything which even used to happen when I had cable with every movie channel available.

I basically have the same setup as you, though I still have Netflix at the moment. I usually do MLB.TV during the season too. Honestly, I'd like to cut Sling as it's rare that I watch much live TV on there... other than sports. Just sucks not having access to all the cable-based sports content without Sling, but I also wonder if it's actually worth the like $50/month to catch Sportscenter/MLB Network/a college basketball or football game here and there.

I generally pay $26 a month for sling.  I say generally because I added the $10 sports package which gives me NFL red zone along with some MLB/NBA channels.  When the NFL regular season ends I'll cut that package out.  I've got fox, FSN, TNT and some other channels that show professional and college sports.  I kind of got over ESPN years ago when it seemed to be more about the personalities rather than the actual content.  I loved sportscenter back in the day and still remember when they broke the news that the Lakers signed Shaq but with the internet/phones I can get updates just by going online.  

18 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I generally pay $26 a month for sling.  I say generally because I added the $10 sports package which gives me NFL red zone along with some MLB/NBA channels.  When the NFL regular season ends I'll cut that package out.  I've got fox, FSN, TNT and some other channels that show professional and college sports.  I kind of got over ESPN years ago when it seemed to be more about the personalities rather than the actual content.  I loved sportscenter back in the day and still remember when they broke the news that the Lakers signed Shaq but with the internet/phones I can get updates just by going online.  

You would have to think at some point, RSN's will have to offer individual internet service.  Especially now that Fox sports have been sold off to Sinclair, who I don't think have many other channels.  If you could get the former Fox Sports regional channels as a $10 a month streaming service, that would be the death blow that I'm waiting for.  

I get the FS channels included in the $26 a month through sling which I think overall is a good value and includes channels with the ability to play shows that aired so many days ago and other shows they have on demand.  I hated paying for cable for a bunch of channels I never watched or wanted.  Now that streaming services have moved towards that we're getting too many options and situations where one of the providers buys the right to a show that only they carry.  Ultimately I'm still paying for things I don't want because of the things a provider carries I like but at least I'm paying less, everything is month to month and easy to get out of.

I don't care much about live TV except I like college football, which means I need the ESPN channels, CBS Sports Network, and some others.

I don't know how to get those without a TV provider. I really don't want a pirate-type arrangement, I'm not completely off the grid plus I have 4 tvs in the house and 1 in the garage.

My wife enjoys a few of the channels but not many.

Fubo doesn't have the ESPN channels, Sling doesn't have CBSSN, it's messed up.

Kind of leaves me to choose between YouTube TV ($50) and Hulu ($45).

Another thing that's messed up is, if you subscribe to YouTube TV in most places it's $50 and you get a RSN. If you subscribe to YouTube TV in Boise it's $50 and there is no RSN. Same with the other providers. That irks me a little bit. At least give me the Seattle RSN or something.

And there's still a boatload of channels that I never watch, like Cheddar Business.

Playstation Vue is about the same as the others, maybe a bit more costly.

I guess when you think about it $50 per month is not bad for the amount of entertainment you can get if you watch it. Still way cheaper than what I used to spend on DirecTV.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't care much about live TV except I like college football, which means I need the ESPN channels, CBS Sports Network, and some others.

I don't know how to get those without a TV provider. I really don't want a pirate-type arrangement, I'm not completely off the grid plus I have 4 tvs in the house and 1 in the garage.

My wife enjoys a few of the channels but not many.

Fubo doesn't have the ESPN channels, Sling doesn't have CBSSN, it's messed up.

Kind of leaves me to choose between YouTube TV ($50) and Hulu ($45).

Another thing that's messed up is, if you subscribe to YouTube TV in most places it's $50 and you get a RSN. If you subscribe to YouTube TV in Boise it's $50 and there is no RSN. Same with the other providers. That irks me a little bit. At least give me the Seattle RSN or something.

And there's still a boatload of channels that I never watch, like Cheddar Business.

Playstation Vue is about the same as the others, maybe a bit more costly.

I guess when you think about it $50 per month is not bad for the amount of entertainment you can get if you watch it. Still way cheaper than what I used to spend on DirecTV.

Important difference between Hulu and YTTV, YTTV has unlimited DVR, Hulu is only 50 hours, or you can pay an extra $10 for 200 hours DVR.  Also Hulu is 2 screens while YTTV is 3.

We have YTTV and really like it.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Scratch Vue, but it would have been a good option for you. They have everything you mentioned plus all the ESPN extra channels that seemed to be taylor made for CFB.

But they are discontinuing service in January.

Yeah PS Vue is what we had for the last 1.5 years.

25 minutes ago, nate said:

Important difference between Hulu and YTTV, YTTV has unlimited DVR, Hulu is only 50 hours, or you can pay an extra $10 for 200 hours DVR.  Also Hulu is 2 screens while YTTV is 3.

We have YTTV and really like it.

I'm leaning toward YTTV. I was looking at it online yesterday. With PS Vue you could go to the guide, and if you missed a show you could just play it on demand. I don't see that with YTTV. But it is what it is I guess.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yeah PS Vue is what we had for the last 1.5 years.

I'm leaning toward YTTV. I was looking at it online yesterday. With PS Vue you could go to the guide, and if you missed a show you could just play it on demand. I don't see that with YTTV. But it is what it is I guess.

So on YTTV, you basically add all the shows and teams you follow, then anything recorded or on demand will show in the library.

Also you can just search the show and it will show up, it lists new episodes, then anything else available by season/episode.  Also if the show is on, you can go to the episode list from the guide.

1 hour ago, cysomeawfulpitcher said:

Thank goodness I just got Apple TV plus for a year since I upgraded my TV box a month ago.

I also get Disney for a year from a Verizon unlimited but screw them for ruining R rated  Fox and their cash grab remakes.

I'm also getting Disney+ free for having Verizon. This show looks like it might be awesome. Happy to see Carl Weathers getting some work. 

15 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Tempted to "re-cord"

Right now paying $55 a month for internet and $49.99 for YTTV.

Spectrum has a bundle deal for $80+fees, comes out to like $105 a month...so same price but...I miss having the 4k TV. YTTV doesn't stream in 4k..such a tough decision...

Since when does Spectrum show anything in 4k?

• 1 month later...

I'm late to this conversation... and I really don't want to read all nine pages.

I'm thinking of cutting cable, finally.  I don't watch a lot of TV and the only thing I really care about is being able to see Angel games.  I read on one of the pages (glanced through some) that Sling no longer offers Angel games. Is that still true?

What's really the best alternative to cable without subscribing to a boat load of different resources?  I'm thinking of Sling - but would love to get some feedback.