• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question re: cord cutting

we're seriously looking at ditching directv and weighing our options with hulu, roku, or youtube red. for those of you who have a streaming service like one of these, how do you watch angels games? it looks like fox sports west isn't carried by any of those services.

They generally are or you need to purchase a tier with sports channels or Fox Sports. I got it when I tried DirecTV Now (I thought it sucked by the way and it's more expensive than what I have now) and I now have Playstation Vue which has all the Fox Sports channels....even SD and some other closer locals.

Just check their tiers or channels of the subscription apps. I think what you listed is purely app based like Netflix and just covers movies and shows. You need a streaming service that provides local channels, live shows, live sports etc. Something like Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling, etc.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, Tank said:

we're seriously looking at ditching directv and weighing our options with hulu, roku, or youtube red. for those of you who have a streaming service like one of these, how do you watch angels games? it looks like fox sports west isn't carried by any of those services.

One of the streaming services I have is Sling and at least their second cheapest option which is $26 a month comes with FSW.  Their cheapest option which is closer to $20 may include it as well.

Okay, we’ve decided to go with Roku. We have a Roku stick and this is a good option.

heres our quandary: I want fox sports west so I can watch the Kings and Angels. I also want the golf channel. I cannot get all of these from one place (Hulu and YouTube). Any of you have any suggestions on solving this?

okay, i need to clarify.

Like @Adam in his college years, yesterday was all about experimenting.

My sister-in-law who just passed away gave us a Roku stick a few months ago. We set it up yesterday to see what it offered for quality. We had interest in it because through it we could get a couple of religious satellite tv channels our church sponsors, and that was important to us. Also important is that there wasn't any cost to us, and we're looking to cut back on a few of our expenses. Paying almost $200 a month for directv is not sustainable.

We have taken a look at playstation due and like what it offers for channels. It solves the Golf Channel/Fox Sports issue for us but doesn't include NHL Network. We'll have to live with that it seems.

The reviews we're reading about playstation due make it sound like it has some issues with having to reset it several times a day due to freezing or the screen going blank. Has that been common for those of you here who have it?

Anyone have Sling TV? Thoughts, opinions, problems, praises?

I've never once had to reset anything for PS Vue. It has always just worked for me.

Also, if you want a seamless experience, the new Fire TV Stick 4K is the best streaming device you can get for the money now. Even if you're not using it on a 4k tv, doesn't matter, the hardware inside the stick is better than any of their recent devices, and they're only 40 or 50 bucks a pop. If you're paying 200 a month in directv, you could get 3 of them and they pay for themselves in a month with the $50 PS Vue package.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, Tank said:

We have Hulu Live for $40 per month. I'm able to watch every Angel game.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:57 AM, Tank said:

okay, i need to clarify.

Like @Adam in his college years, yesterday was all about experimenting.

My sister-in-law who just passed away gave us a Roku stick a few months ago. We set it up yesterday to see what it offered for quality. We had interest in it because through it we could get a couple of religious satellite tv channels our church sponsors, and that was important to us. Also important is that there wasn't any cost to us, and we're looking to cut back on a few of our expenses. Paying almost $200 a month for directv is not sustainable.

We have taken a look at playstation due and like what it offers for channels. It solves the Golf Channel/Fox Sports issue for us but doesn't include NHL Network. We'll have to live with that it seems.

The reviews we're reading about playstation due make it sound like it has some issues with having to reset it several times a day due to freezing or the screen going blank. Has that been common for those of you here who have it?

Anyone have Sling TV? Thoughts, opinions, problems, praises?

I've had Vue for 2 years now and not once have I had a freezing issue. Sounds like a device is causing it to freeze. Back when I signed up I was using Roku, but the UI was horrible. The FireTv fixed that. But I'm sure Vue has updated the roku UI since then. With Vue I also get Fox Sports San Diego which is a nice bonus.

I had Hulu for a short time but ditched it since the Vue already had the same shows I watched.

So I did go ahead and sign up for DirecTV Now, and had it for about two months. It actually worked well for me functionality-wise, but like two weeks after I signed up they re-did their channel packages and upped the price (I was still grandfathered in to the original lineup I subscribed to). Sling recently added MLB Network though, (which is one of the three channels I watch the most, and why I hadn’t chose them before) in a $40/month package, which is way less than $70/month for the DirecTV Now package I had. So I went ahead and cancelled that package (still have it until the end of the billing cycle), and will pick up Sling as soon as the DirecTV Now package ends.

just finished reading don's post when i got a call from directv. they're thanking me for being a loyal subscriber by giving me the showtime movie channels for free.

we'll see how free it is.

• 2 months later...

Ah damn it

Dear valued subscriber,

Unfortunately, FOX has chosen to remove their regional sports networks from Sling as of 7/26/19. We're working to bring these channels back as part of an ongoing commitment to give you the TV you love, with all the flexibility you want, at the best value possible.

Thank you for being a loyal Sling customer. For more information, please visit sling.com/promise.

All the best,
The Sling TV Team

On 5/7/2019 at 3:55 PM, Tank said:

just finished reading don's post when i got a call from directv. they're thanking me for being a loyal subscriber by giving me the showtime movie channels for free.

we'll see how free it is.

Honestly, cut it Tank. 

You can bet showtime for 9 bucks a month....cheaper than paying for all the crap you dont watch that directv makes you pay for.

7 hours ago, Tank said:

I have directv and we've been without cbs and channel 9 for the last week.

This

I dont watch either... but lets face facts...the internet has passed TV...

Youve been fine without both...

Literally, Amazon prime, maybe pay for whatever movie channel(s) you like best, and MLB package for like 130 a year......

..... youll save a ton.

Ive spent 10K the last decade to watch 20 channels...

17 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Honestly, cut it Tank. 

You can bet showtime for 9 bucks a month....cheaper than paying for all the crap you dont watch that directv makes you pay for.

Funny you should bring this up. They’ve haven’t turned on showtime for me yet. Free indeed.