• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question re: cord cutting

• 4 months later...

Alright, so i finally have my new internet set up. Now I can stream whatever I need (amazon prime, netflix, etc).

So to get rid of cable, walk me through it. I only really care about FOX sports, but even then, only during baseball season.

Would be nice to have the local channels, but not a huge need. I only turn them on if i need to catch local news.

So my plan is to just pay for the movie channels through amazon. Unless someone has a better option.

So the main question, whats my next step, and what kind of money am i looking at? Hulu looks like its 50 a month, and the movie channels will make it about 90 a month...thats only about 20 less than directv is costing me right now. What am i missing?

there's no option for me to watch sports on our regional network (root) without a cable or dish subscription, and i don't know how fox works. 

the money it will cost depends on what you want to watch.

i just got rid of netflix because there's nothing i watch on it isn't also on amazon video.  

for local channels, i use a coax tuner that i bought for $10 a few years back. works fine for the rare times i want to watch something on a local network. 

i have the most basic hulu possible because i can't remember the last time i ever wanted to watch live tv. i think it's $6/month with spotify.  the ads are annoying, but i don't really watch it that much. 

i have hbo now ($16/month), and other than that, i just rotate signing up for the free trials that i get emailed to me every other day.  i haven't had a problem finding something to watch since i got rid of directv almost 2 years back. 

i got 2 firesticks for my tv's when they were on sale this past xmas, and they're all i use for streaming now. highly recommended. 

@GOPSnowflakesHateCezero, you sound like me. Was just thinking that its time to get rid of nerflix. Theres a handful of documentaries on there I like, but overall I own kost of the movies I have on their that I like. Might be time to get rid of it.

@Lou, whats the deal with the firestick and HBO? Is it free or something? I get a bunch of free HBO stuff with amazon prime, but I dont get it all (for free).

ATT has a deal that if you switch to them, you get HBO for free, for life...thats a pretty sweet deal.

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

if you have a firestick you can watch any show for free. you don't need to pay for a subscription. 

For any channel??? Wow..

PSvue has hbo and cinemax for 20 a month...that seems like a pretty good deal.

Anyone know what the cheapest hulu is? I always thought it was cheap, but looks like its about 50 a month now.

I just checked, and what people are saying about HBO shows being all available and free with Amazon are incorrect. 

I can watch older shows like the Sopranos and Six Feet Under for free, but newer shows like True Detective S3 and GOT require a paid subscription of $14.99/month. 

What am I missing?  I'd love to not have to pay for the stuff I want to see. 

36 minutes ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

I just checked, and what people are saying about HBO shows being all available and free with Amazon are incorrect. 

I can watch older shows like the Sopranos and Six Feet Under for free, but newer shows like True Detective S3 and GOT require a paid subscription of $14.99/month. 

What am I missing?  I'd love to not have to pay for the stuff I want to see. 

Amazon prime has a ton of free hbo stuff, but the new stuff costs.

ATT wireless gets you free hbo. Otherwise you have to pay (i think)

HBO is probably the one most worth paying for though.

49 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Amazon prime has a ton of free hbo stuff, but the new stuff costs.

ATT wireless gets you free hbo. Otherwise you have to pay (i think)

HBO is probably the one most worth paying for though.

i think the people i'm talking about are using vpn and jailbreaking their firesticks. i'm not interested.  

i only subscribe to HBO for a few months per year anyway, and it's worth it for what i get out of it. 

22 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Alright, so i finally have my new internet set up. Now I can stream whatever I need (amazon prime, netflix, etc).

So to get rid of cable, walk me through it. I only really care about FOX sports, but even then, only during baseball season.

Would be nice to have the local channels, but not a huge need. I only turn them on if i need to catch local news.

So my plan is to just pay for the movie channels through amazon. Unless someone has a better option.

So the main question, whats my next step, and what kind of money am i looking at? Hulu looks like its 50 a month, and the movie channels will make it about 90 a month...thats only about 20 less than directv is costing me right now. What am i missing?

If you are only needing Fox Sports during the baseball season, then cut the cord. I have Psvue and I get both Fox Sports feed for San Diego and LA. I pay $49.99 all in.

I do get all the locals with Psvue but you can get the locals with a HD TV antenna. So during the off season, you can easily stop the Psvue with a click of a button. Then turn it back on whenever you want. Also, there are no extra equipment or service fees with streaming.

1 hour ago, mancini79 said:

If you are only needing Fox Sports during the baseball season, then cut the cord. I have Psvue and I get both Fox Sports feed for San Diego and LA. I pay $49.99 all in.

I do get all the locals with Psvue but you can get the locals with a HD TV antenna. So during the off season, you can easily stop the Psvue with a click of a button. Then turn it back on whenever you want. Also, there are no extra equipment or service fees with streaming.

Perfect. That sounds like the most sense (thanks!).

For example, I decided to go through the non movie channels i figured id miss most. First ones that popped into my head were FX, TBS, TNT and the History channel.

Then I realized im not getting those anyway. I switched plans a few years ago...annnnd didnt even notice that i dont have them.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Perfect. That sounds like the most sense (thanks!).

For example, I decided to go through the non movie channels i figured id miss most. First ones that popped into my head were FX, TBS, TNT and the History channel.

Then I realized im not getting those anyway. I switched plans a few years ago...annnnd didnt even notice that i dont have them.

Take a look at PlutoTV. Its legitimately free with tons of content. With the locals, companies are looking at offering a streaming platform for free. Locast has started their free streaming service in NY, Boston, Houston, and Denver. Hopefully it continues to grow.

As people continue to cut cable, networks like History channel will start offering their own service. I can guarantee that the transition from cutting cable is easier than expected and will notice the cost savings.