• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Chief Wahoo

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Ok, so I assume next on the agenda is to shame the guy who bangs the drum in the bleachers into giving it up, since it's a racist depiction.

Unless that's been done already, I wouldn't be surprised.

9 minutes ago, JAHV76 said:

Could they also ban that dude that plays the drums in the outfield all game long? It's really annoying to listen to a game with that fool banging the drum.

Like clockwork.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Yes, I do. Only went once as a child and had pancakes with whipped butter. I think they sold stuffed Tigers at the register. 

I also remember reading the book. Good luck finding a copy now. 

I seem to remember one across the street from Knott's Berry Farm. When I was in the Army in 1970, I would hitch Hike from Fort Ord to Westminster. I would stop at a Sambos in Santa Barbara and eat breakfast. Seems like a 100 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I seem to remember one across the street from Knott's Berry Farm. When I was in the Army in 1970, I would hitch Hike from Fort Ord to Westminster. I would stop at a Sambos in Santa Barbara and eat breakfast. Seems like a 100 years ago.

The Sambos in Santa Barbara is the last one in existence. The chain was about 1,800 strong before allegations of racism forced closures. The name was a contraction of the two owners, it just happened to match the book character so they went with that theme. 

The original book was based on South India characters. Had nothing to do with black people at all. 

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

None of this matters -- ask the white chick in the burbs if she thinks it's "mean".... that's the demographic behind the "outrage".

It's not as if they were called Pocahontas, or Tonto... Kidding

PS: it sure is hot for Jan. 96º, especially with the NE having one of the coldest winters in years.

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not offended at all.  I’m just capable of processing slightly abstract concepts.   Such as, why something that doesn’t bother me might still be in poor taste or wrong.  The reason it looks the way it does is because it’s mocking natives.  Just the same as the sambo cartoons did.  Which I referenced.  

Would the sambo cartoon be an appropriate  logo for a member club of a massive enterprise like MLB ?  Or an advertisement for Coke or Pepsi ? It looks bad because it’s obvious.  That’s why it’s going away. 

Not sure what’s so troubling about a the demise of a dumb looking logo that is racist from 70 years ago. 

The little Rascals were racist, so was Amos and Andy. There were a lot of racism in early radio and television, and not just in the south.

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Sure a logo is a tiny thing, but what's troubling, at least to me, is the continuation of this practice where things that have stood for decades without issue are being removed in the name of racism or or insensitivity. It is a way to validate folks' hyper sensitive feelings, and I think it'll only continue to get worse if we let it.

This isn't a new issue, I first heard it criticized decades ago. It's only now they are doing something about. It makes little difference to me one way or the other though.

They should get rid of the Indians, the Chiefs, the Redskins, Walmart should recall all those cheap ass canoe's they've been selling, no more hatchets, hell they should drain Lake O The Cherokees down in Oklahoma. Creeks, Rivers, counties, schools all of this shit that is named after these people should be removed and stricken from the books....its Racist and its not right and needs to stop. I know some good ol boys down in Texas that ride horses and rope cattle and now they want Dallas Cowboys to change their name.......when does this I'm offended shit stop?

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

"In short, this is the perfect representation of the pussification of our society"

It means nothing to me either way and I don't consider anything more than smart business decision.  The older folks can buy up all "Wahoo" hats and think they are flipping the Indians and MLB the virtual finger, younger fans can buy up the new marketed "C" logo if they choose but can still find the old logo if they want, and any controversy that blew up today will die a quick death.  They are not losing fans over this and no one is growing a vagina by wearing the new merchandise

Remember the Colt 45s, or the devil rays. Having to change the name of the entire team seemed more ridiculous than the Indians logo to me.

43 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Sambos in Santa Barbara is the last one in existence. The chain was about 1,800 strong before allegations of racism forced closures. The name was a contraction of the two owners, it just happened to match the book character so they went with that theme. 

The original book was based on South India characters. Had nothing to do with black people at all. 

No tigers in Africa.

9 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I don't care what you say, i'm certain native Americans as a whole have thicker skin than to waste time being offended by a baseball team logo.

1991 World Series, Minnesota. The Braves' tomahawk chop was a thing, yet when the logos were painted on the field, the tomahawk was omitted from Atlanta's. To appear to be even handed, the underline was left off the Twins' logo. There were reports of Atlanta fans being roughed up outside the Metrodome by Native Americans who were protesting the name and the logo.

To your other point, many of the foam rubber tomahawks sold in Atlanta are marketed by the Cherokee Tribe.

When the Braves moved to Atlanta, a tepee was constructed behind the left field wall. Chief Noc-a-Homa (a Native American) would perform a dance after every Braves home run. The club finally realized the insensitivity of this, and the tepee went away. They also dropped the "Scalp 'em, Braves" saying that the club had used in Milwaukee. The yelling Indian on the sleeve hasn't been part of the uniform for decades now.

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Remember the Colt 45s, or the devil rays. Having to change the name of the entire team seemed more ridiculous than the Indians logo to me.

My recollection of the Houston situation is that it was a copyright issue. With Houston becoming a space center and opening the first domed stadium, Astros (short for astronauts) was a natural.

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

No tigers in Africa.

So many people get that wrong.

Not sure what my take on this is. One the one hand, whether or not native americans have a problem or not (and im always leary of polls....has anyone ever taken one, or are they just some bullshit made up 'stat'?), it still bound to offend some people. I guess theres different levels. The braves may not offend, but a stereotype character will.

That said, i also agree that the current climate is beyond puss. There is very much true racism going on today. (Its not white and black, or american, its worldwide, all cultures). And its fucked up. So when i see people offended by something like this, i roll my eyes a little. 

Again, i can see where it offends, and could care less about the change. If its offensive (and lets be honest, if it was a big nosed face with curly hair on "the steins", the chinks, the whatever, wed agree it was fucked up for today). But the constant "that offends me" outrage for realistically minor shit has gotten old, too.

7 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

"We want you to stop showing this thing that's been a core part of your image for decades because it hurts our ultra sensitive feelings and our parents never taught us how to grow up"

"Ok!"

There's my problem.

my problem is that you're overreacting.

i disagree with continuing to use the logo, but i'm not up in arms about it, and i think the comments i've read from here today and in the past are along those same lines. you seem to think that everyone who disagrees with it is a raging SJW who needs a comfort pet and a box of crayons to get through the rest of the day. time for you to ease up.

53 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Good god!

To be fair i did far worse as a jarhead, usually with heavy women. But that just seems crazy. And a lot of work for westminster. Did you marry her at least?

I lived in Westminster. It was where my friends were. It wasn't bad, it was OK. I was stationed with a friend from home and we sometime hitched together. Sometimes I flew or took a bus, and once I rented a car. I must have hitched 4 times both ways in 6 months.

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

no shortage of items available on eBay tonight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LITTLE-BLACK-SAMBO-1962-Living-Story-Book-Edition-Doll-Puppet-Illustrations/263423407979?hash=item3d5542376b:g:Pj4AAOSw301aUWbA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sambos-Restaurant-Picture-Story-Series-Post-Cards/112764931068?hash=item1a41504bfc:g:UPMAAOSwvg9XXgSl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sambos-Restaurant-Orange-White-Mug/273044756051?hash=item3f92bc5653:g:58cAAOSwcSxaY6zk

i only looked at page 1, which contained 100 items. there are at least 10 pages of items available, for anyone who's interested.