• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Chief Wahoo

4 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Remember the Sambo Restaurants? I think they vanished in the 70s.

Before my time, but ive seen the cartoons and know of the restaurants.   The cartoons are pretty bad.  I mean, comically bad.  Definitely understandable why they’re insulting. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Remember the Sambo Restaurants? I think they vanished in the 70s.

Yes, I do. Only went once as a child and had pancakes with whipped butter. I think they sold stuffed Tigers at the register. 

I also remember reading the book. Good luck finding a copy now. 

9 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not offended at all.  I’m just capable of processing slightly abstract concepts.   Such as, why something that doesn’t bother me might still be in poor taste or wrong.  The reason it looks the way it does is because it’s mocking natives.  Just the same as the sambo cartoons did.  Which I referenced.  

Would the sambo cartoon be an appropriate  logo for a member club of a massive enterprise like MLB ?  Or an advertisement for Coke or Pepsi ? It looks bad because it’s obvious.  That’s why it’s going away. 

Not sure what’s so troubling about a the demise of a dumb looking logo that is racist from 70 years ago. 

You're not offended, fine. But you said it's belittling and insulting. Well no one (except a fringe minority) seems to feel belittled or insulted, so you understand my confusion.

Sure a logo is a tiny thing, but what's troubling, at least to me, is the continuation of this practice where things that have stood for decades without issue are being removed in the name of racism or or insensitivity. It is a way to validate folks' hyper sensitive feelings, and I think it'll only continue to get worse if we let it.

People who get so easily offended at stuff like this should be taught to grow a sack and laugh off such trivial things that are meant to be silly or poke harmless fun.

In short, this is the perfect representation of the pussification of our society.

22 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Figured I'd see the usual idiotic "snowflakes" and "safe space" comments in relation to this topic...all it needs is "damn millennials", "triggered" and "SJWs!" to make it complete 

Those triggered SJW snowflakes need to go back into their safe space. Damn millennials!!

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Do you think the San Francisco Chinamen or the San Diego Wetbacks or even the New York Dago's would exist?

They're the Cleveland Indians, not the Cleveland Savages. Do you have a problem Notre Dame Fighting Irish too? How about the Florida State Seminoles?

What we really need is get rid of batting helmets...need to toughen these guys up a bit...and get them back into wool uniforms and outfit them with gloves made exclusively from the hide of the majestic Clydesdale sew together while humming "Take Me Out To the Ballgame".

Next, do away with modern workout equipment and restrict ballplayers efforts to juggling pins and rolling the medicine ball while protein shakes will be replaced with large cups of bull semen.

Also, remove the protective netting at the stadium...especially directly behind home plate because screw those people, they knew what they were signing up for when they bought the ticket.

With these changes, pussification will be 100% averted

5 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

What we really need is get rid of batting helmets...need to toughen these guys up a bit...and get them back into wool uniforms and outfit them with gloves made exclusively from the hide of the majestic Clydesdale sew together while humming "Take Me Out To the Ballgame".

Next, do away with modern workout equipment and restrict ballplayers efforts to juggling pins and rolling the medicine ball while protein shakes will be replaced with large cups of bull semen.

Also, remove the protective netting at the stadium...especially directly behind home plate because screw those people, they knew what they were signing up for when they bought the ticket.

Because a cartoon character that hurts a couple peoples feefees is totally equivalent to batting helmets.

Are you serious?

19 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not offended at all.  I’m just capable of processing slightly abstract concepts.   Such as, why something that doesn’t bother me might still be in poor taste or wrong.  The reason it looks the way it does is because it’s mocking natives.  Just the same as the sambo cartoons did.  Which I referenced.  

Would the sambo cartoon be an appropriate  logo for a member club of a massive enterprise like MLB ?  Or an advertisement for Coke or Pepsi ? It looks bad because it’s obvious.  That’s why it’s going away. 

Not sure what’s so troubling about a the demise of a dumb looking logo that is racist from 70 years ago. 

This is a healthy POV ...     

I don't really make the connection between the Sambo character and Chief Wahoo but, that's likely because the only association I made was to it being a mascot of sorts.   There is no denying the racism behind Sambo.

To be perfectly frank, I'm good with them getting rid of it if for no other reason to have the debate over whether it's offensive or not come to an end.

1 minute ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Because a cartoon character that hurts a couple peoples feefees is totally equivalent to batting helmets.

Are you serious?

"In short, this is the perfect representation of the pussification of our society"

It means nothing to me either way and I don't consider anything more than smart business decision.  The older folks can buy up all "Wahoo" hats and think they are flipping the Indians and MLB the virtual finger, younger fans can buy up the new marketed "C" logo if they choose but can still find the old logo if they want, and any controversy that blew up today will die a quick death.  They are not losing fans over this and no one is growing a vagina by wearing the new merchandise

15 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Let a couple T-Rexes loose in the OF and make playing defense a legit thing too.

Just now, Make Angels Great Again said:

Like it or not, Chief Wahoo is a core part of the Cleveland Indians' history and image. To eliminate that because of hyper sensitive feelings is pathetic.

They are keeping the name "Indians" and people can still wear the gear.  I'm not getting the outrage.

What they really need to do is get back to this baby:

220px-Logo_of_the_Cleveland_Indians_%281946-1950%29.png

Maybe put a big teepee behind the centerfield wall where a guy in full Indian Headdress can run around and "whoop!" it up whenever the home team hits a homerun.

9 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

They are keeping the name "Indians" and people can still wear the gear.  I'm not getting the outrage.

What they really need to do is get back to this baby:

Maybe put a big teepee behind the centerfield wall where a guy in full Indian Headdress can run around and "whoop!" it up whenever the home team hits a homerun.

"We want you to stop showing this thing that's been a core part of your image for decades because it hurts our ultra sensitive feelings and our parents never taught us how to grow up"

"Ok!"

There's my problem.

1 minute ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

"We want you to stop showing this thing that's been a core part of your image for decades because it hurts our ultra sensitive feelings and our parents never taught us how to grow up"

"Ok!"

There's my problem.

The voices in your head? Or this an actual quote from an article somewhere?

3 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

No, that's just pretty much how this kinda stuff goes these days if you care to pay attention.

Wow, it must be...though, this is my first "logo stripping" and I haven't quite committed to turning into the "paranoia"-skid so you'll pardon me if I initially miss subtle context like that.  

Man, these snowflakes are so annoying! They get so up in arms about the smallest things, right? Like, dang! How are they going to deal with real life if they are sheltered all the time?? I mean really, its like "Oh, my racist team logo got removed for business reasons, someone FIND ME A SAFE SPACE!!" SMDH its like, honestly, stop getting offended over every little thing, you know?

trollface.jpg?1296494117