• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Chief Wahoo

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Dumb fucking post.

I am not a snow flake but personally aware of the social implications of such things.  ....live on or near a reservation as a native for awhile and you will see it.

I don't care what you say, i'm certain native Americans as a whole have thicker skin than to waste time being offended by a baseball team logo. Maybe the ones you talked to at the local safe space feel differently, but they don't speak for everyone.

I hate political correctness.  I even argue that team names "Indians or Braves or Warriors" are actually compliments.  HOWEVER its hard to defend that Chief Wahoo isn't offensive.  I feel the same way about the Redskins.  Chief Wahoo is a hideous looking caricature and Redskins refers to color of skin not a compliment of their toughness or competitiveness. 

4 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Dumb fucking post.

I am not a snow flake but personally aware of the social implications of such things.  ....live on or near a reservation as a native for awhile and you will see it.

I live right by one.  I agree that the logo is gross and should go but I also know that most natives couldn't give a rip.

1 minute ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I don't care what you say, i'm certain native Americans as a whole have thicker skin than to waste time being offended by a baseball team logo. Maybe the ones you talked to at the local safe space feel differently, but they don't speak for everyone.

Yeah, come on dude, this is a stupid battle to fight.  Nobody made Cleveland do this, it was a business decision.

From the Washington Post in 2016..............

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.

The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.

[12 Native Americans talk about the furor over the Redskins name]

Among the Native Americans reached over a five-month period ending in April, more than 7 in 10 said they did not feel the word “Redskin” was disrespectful to Indians. An even higher number — 8 in 10 — said they would not be offended if a non-native called them that name.

24 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Yeah, come on dude, this is a stupid battle to fight.  Nobody made Cleveland do this, it was a business decision.

Pretty much this -- the branding likely isn't working as well in the current environment -- if it was, they would still be plastering his face on everything.  Hell, it may just be a ploy to bump up sales of current gear with Wahoo on it..   MLB is behind this, but it's all about branding.

It's all business all the time.

1 minute ago, WeatherWonk said:

From the Washington Post in 2016..............

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.

The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.

[12 Native Americans talk about the furor over the Redskins name]

Among the Native Americans reached over a five-month period ending in April, more than 7 in 10 said they did not feel the word “Redskin” was disrespectful to Indians. An even higher number — 8 in 10 — said they would not be offended if a non-native called them that name.

None of this matters -- ask the white chick in the burbs if she thinks it's "mean".... that's the demographic behind the "outrage".

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

None of this matters -- ask the white chick in the burbs if she thinks it's "mean".... that's the demographic behind the "outrage".

Oh really. White chicks in the burbs are such a huge financial source of MLB?

This has Manfred's political correctness written all over it. I wonder if he has banned the sale of memorabilia from the MLB store that features Chief Wazoo? Wouldnt surprise me.

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Another one lost to the snowflakes.

It’s literally exactly the same as the racist shit faced grin black people cartoons from 100 years ago.  I agree that most natives probably don’t care.  That said, it doesn’t make it right.  The caricature should go because it’s insulting and belittling.  As MT said, the tribe knows that th battle to keep it isn’t worth just getting rid of it.  It’s business.  So does the commissioners office.  Believe that if they were going to lose money getting rid of chief wazoo there would be a fight. 

Oh and for your reference.   Get on the right side of this dude. 

BC92EEE6-350D-4F2B-9EAB-5E010C85F0FD.jpeg

Edited by UndertheHalo

The problem Cleveland ownership has had is that the image is a big seller--kids love the caricature and buy the image in bundles.  

The problem American Indians have had (for quite some time) is that it is a racist image.  There was no such chief or family/tribe.  This issue, for example, was dealt with regarding Chief Illiniwek back in 2007. 

Simply put, these are fictitious creations conceived by non-Indians that, unfortunately, continue racist ideas.  If you want to celebrate real people, then use real people.

On 1/29/2018 at 3:46 PM, WeatherWonk said:

Oh really. White chicks in the burbs are such a huge financial source of MLB?

This has Manfred's political correctness written all over it. I wonder if he has banned the sale of memorabilia from the MLB store that features Chief Wazoo? Wouldnt surprise me.

It's less about buying power and more about who makes the most noise. ... remember the chick that tried to get Married With Children off the air?   And you're probably right .... wouldn't come as a shock if MLB were to try to prevent them from selling throwback stuff with Wahoo on it.  

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's less about buying power and more about who makes the most noise. ...  remember the chick that tried to get Married With Children off the air?       And you're probably right .... he likely would try to prevent them from selling throwback stuff with Wahoo on it.  Again -- to appease the loud ones.

No, it's about racism and what we teach our kids.  Take this for example:

17 minutes ago, NorCal Halo said:

The problem Cleveland ownership has had is that the image is a big seller--kids love the caricature and buy the image in bundles.  

The problem American Indians have had (for quite some time) is that it is a racist image.  There was no such chief or family/tribe.  This issue, for example, was dealt with regarding Chief Illiniwek back in 2007. 

Simply put, these are fictitious creations conceived by non-Indians that, unfortunately, continue racist ideas.  If you want to celebrate real people, then use real people.

I disagree.  Its a cartoon character logo on a hat.  There's no way on earth keeping that logo "continues racist ideas."

You think nonracists see that logo and become racist?  You think racists will be less racist if they change the Indians hats?

The only reason to change the logo is to stop offending people.  And that is perfectly fine to do. . .other than my personal opinion that 99% of people offended by this will not experience one micromeasurement of relief from being offended because they will simply replace being offended by this with something else.  They need to he offended to know what to do today, what to post on social media, and what to talk about with their fellow addicts.

But whatever.  It's a free country.  If people want to waste their time and energy on finding ways to be upset about embroidery on a hat, then that's up to them.