• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia vs Frank Robinson

Billy_Ball

I can’t believe this was so long ago.  Seems like yesterday. Anyways, I saw some fire in Scioscia that I haven’t seen in a while.  

And I liked when Rex said in regards to Guillen going off (paraphrasing) “if you want payback, a bench clearing brawl is a perfect time do to it.”  Phys was like “nope, there’s never a perfect time to do it.” 

Ok that was amazing. Mike yelling at Robinson was great but even better when he made the umps check the next pitcher’s glove. Mike’s knowledge of the rules and game are my favorite part about him. He doesn’t miss a thing. It’s getting to the point where I want the Angels to succeed this year (obviously) so Mike sticks around a couple more years

Bob when I decide which side of an argument to take I look at who is on what side of an argument.  So if you are on the fire Scioscia side, it’s very easy to take the other side.  You’re opinion is so ridiculous that even though I want a change in managers, I kinda want him to get another ten year extension because of the “pain” it causes guys like you.  

1 hour ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Donnelly not only was a cheat , but also a scab. He crossed the picket line when the ball players went on strike. I thought  baseball was about winning once again Scioscia got schooled by Robinson, the Nationals won the game. Scioscia could have got an Angel player injured by his stupid stunt. 

You can’t be serious? Scioscia made the next pitcher get his strings cut. Fucking hilarious. Don’t mess with Scioscia and the rules. You won’t win. And guess who is still in baseball since that incident...

6 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

The Angels were winning the game 3-1, after Robertson helped get Donnelly tossed.  The Angels lose 6-3, this makes Scioscia a genius. I thought winning was important.  Did you see Vlad laughing, I wonder what he was thinking?  

Probably which woman in the stands he was going to impregnate next.

I feel like I am definitely in the minority, Frank having Donnelly's glove checked was smart; Scioscia having the National's pitcher glove's strings trimmed was lame.

One pitcher was ejected, while the other was required to trim some strings.  Not the same with respect to managerial moves and gamesmanship.....

Guillen is still a bitch......

5 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Donnelly not only was a cheat , but also a scab. He crossed the picket line when the ball players went on strike. I thought  baseball was about winning once again Scioscia got schooled by Robinson, the Nationals won the game. Scioscia could have got an Angel player injured by his stupid stunt. 

That happened in the mid 1990s.   Give it a rest.    Without him, the Halos may not have been WS champs.   Or have you forgotten his dominance in the WS (1 hit in 8 innings)? 
Who knows how many pitchers still do something similar with their glove or something else.

I re-read the story for this game and apparently Frank Robinson thought that Donnelly was using Sandpaper, but they didn't find any, but they did eject him for pine tar, which is technically illegal, but legal for batters, so it's possible there could have been a bit.

The fact that he hadn't even thrown a pitch was what irked Scioscia and the Angels, because pine tar is common, and they were simply targeting Donnelly. Also Rosin + water = Pine Tar. And the pitchers have rosin bag.

Robinson even repeated his baseless accusation after the game to reporters saying he stuck the sandpaper in his back pocket or gave it to Adam Kennedy.

Apparently Mike said "I guess we'll strip search everyone of your pitchers too" and that's what pissed off Frank.

And bottom line, Donnelly was targeted by Guillen, and Guillen was the "Source" of this info, because they got into it repeatedly as teammates, then three years later in the 07 season, they got into it again, and Guillen charged the mound. (Donnelly was with the Red Sox and Guillen with Seattle).

Guillen admitted he was the source of the inside info, after the second brawl.

And the funny thing is he only did it because Donnelly stood with Scioscia and the rest of the team, after Guillen threw that stupid temper tantrum and got suspended for the remainder of the season in 04.

The story is it came to blows between Guillen and Scioscia after the game and his suspension was not contested by the Union. That is how flagarant of a contract violation Guillens actions were, it was not about helmet tossing or yelling.

"We had to do something with Jose,"' he said. "This is about
the organization, not one guy. Bill wanted to be loud and clear
with the message. It was an issue getting in the way of winning."

Stoneman said the club advised the commissioner's office of
Guillen's punishment and send a fax to the players' association.
Stoneman said the decision was based on the team's opinion that
Guillen violated the conduct provision in the uniform player's contract.

Guillen's agent, Adam Katz, declined comment.

There were witnesses and it wasn't the first outburst but you're a complete jackass if you don't think Guillen didn't deserve being kicked off the team for assaulting the manager. It was a line a player can't cross and one the Union would not contest. 

Guillen was a roided out douchebag that had multiple issues in the clubhouse. Scioscia has always had a no bean ball war stance, he knew his best player would end up taking the hit if it escalated. Guillen leaning in getting hit was no reason for Scioscia to risk Vlad's career so the bitch could feel validated. 

Again, the altercation wasn't a shoulder punch between Bros. It was the type of thing that a gag order was imposed. 

Edited by Blarg

15 hours ago, Blarg said:

Guillen was a roided out douchebag that had multiple issues in the clubhouse. Scioscia has always had a no bean ball war stance, he knew his best player would end up taking the hit if it escalated. Guillen leaning in getting hit was no reason for Scioscia to risk Vlad's career so the bitch could feel validated. 

Again, the altercation wasn't a shoulder punch between Bros. It was the type of thing that a gag order was imposed. 

Yep

If Guillen is going to lean and get hit by pitches, at least take it like a man, like Don Baylor, Ron Hunt, etc. all were when they got hit by pitches a lot.

There's a reason that Guillen rarely ever lasted more than a season or so with various MLB teams, aside from his first MLB team (Pirates).  

There's a difference between playing with a fire in your eyes, and being an asshole to teammates and coaches/manager. 

16 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Yes, Guillen was a malcontent and should  have been  traded after the postseason. Scioscia didn't give the Angels the best chance to win in the postseason, which he has repeated in managing career. 

You probably wasn't watching very closely.  The Angels were floundering until after Guillen was kicked off.  Then the team started kicking ass.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

You probably wasn't watching very closely.  The Angels were floundering until after Guillen was kicked off.  Then the team started kicking ass.

+1, although their record was still a solid enough 85-68 at the time. 

They went 7-2 to close the season after the suspension, all 9 games against the other two AL West contenders (A'th and Rangers), and including 7 games on the road.