• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Windows 10 fun

Vegas Halo Fan

The left mouse button on my wireless mouse/keyboard combo quit working about ten days ago. Since my grandsons were coming to visit, I bought a new set. I hooked it up, and the computer crashed as soon as I powered it up, with a message about a configuration error. Tried going back to the old keyboard with no change. The system tried to repair itself, with no change. Then I started getting the dead end "select a language" prompt (the computer won't accept input from the keyboard or the mouse). Tried the Win 10 boot stick that I made to fix a prior problem, to no avail. Repairs don't work. Attempts to reinstall the OS are also dead ended, with a message that my machine is missing a driver needed for the installation. I am given no idea what the driver is, or how I install it without being able to get into Windows. No hints that I have found online work. I am out of ideas.

11 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

The left mouse button on my wireless mouse/keyboard combo quit working about ten days ago. Since my grandsons were coming to visit, I bought a new set. I hooked it up, and the computer crashed as soon as I powered it up, with a message about a configuration error. Tried going back to the old keyboard with no change. The system tried to repair itself, with no change. Then I started getting the dead end "select a language" prompt (the computer won't accept input from the keyboard or the mouse). Tried the Win 10 boot stick that I made to fix a prior problem, to no avail. Repairs don't work. Attempts to reinstall the OS are also dead ended, with a message that my machine is missing a driver needed for the installation. I am given no idea what the driver is, or how I install it without being able to get into Windows. No hints that I have found online work. I am out of ideas.

Does the computer have an internet connection?

That is really bizarre, any peripheral using USB should work no problem.  The only thing I can think of is that your usb controller died.

Also like Thomas said, Laptop/Desktop?  and model.

Did you try and put your usb dongle in a different port?  If it's in a 3.0 USB port, try a 2.0 USB port if you have it and vice versa.  I know on my old laptop the 3.0 port kept crashing and acting funny, and for mouse, I just reverted to the 2.0 port since it was stable and mice/keyboard doesn't need the high speed.

When reinstalling Windows 10 the biggest headache I get, especially when it complains about drivers,  is the mode the hard disk is set to in the BIOS. Typically the three choices are IDE, RAID, and AHCI. Usually Windows gets confused by the disk mode RAID, though I've run into problems with all three at least once. The way my organization installs the default Windows image I can't manually add a driver. In your case you may be able to put a driver file on a flash disk and point to it during the install. These drivers can be found on the vender website. Usually the manufacture of the system though that can vary depending on the type of machine and if hardware was added after purchased.

53 minutes ago, Thomas said:

When reinstalling Windows 10 the biggest headache I get, especially when it complains about drivers,  is the mode the hard disk is set to in the BIOS. Typically the three choices are IDE, RAID, and AHCI. Usually Windows gets confused by the disk mode RAID, though I've run into problems with all three at least once. The way my organization installs the default Windows image I can't manually add a driver. In your case you may be able to put a driver file on a flash disk and point to it during the install. These drivers can be found on the vender website. Usually the manufacture of the system though that can vary depending on the type of machine and if hardware was added after purchased.

If BIOS is set to raid then the onboard software raid controller handles the partition and everything, if the drive is not part of a raid or setup in the onboard raid software then Windows wouldn't see it.  Should always be set to AHCI unless it is put in a raid.

1 hour ago, nate said:

If BIOS is set to raid then the onboard software raid controller handles the partition and everything, if the drive is not part of a raid or setup in the onboard raid software then Windows wouldn't see it.  Should always be set to AHCI unless it is put in a raid.

Not when it's like 95% of the motherboards out there where "raid" is little more if at all more than softraid requiring proprietary drivers. 

There are only like three different softraid controllers out there so windows has a pretty good stable of the drivers.  If it is set to raid and you dont go into the marvell controller or whatever it is and add the drive to the array, even if it is the only drive, a lot of times windows doesnt see the drive at all.

11 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Desktop, Gateway.

How old?

The fact that when you plug in your old mouse/keyboard seems to indicate a problem with the usb ports, but that isn't certain.  Like GB said, have you tried different ports?

14 hours ago, nate said:

How old?

The fact that when you plug in your old mouse/keyboard seems to indicate a problem with the usb ports, but that isn't certain.  Like GB said, have you tried different ports?

I'm sure that it's a USB driver. The dongle plugs into a USB port. I have tried three of them, and there is no difference. My old setup plugged directly into the mouse and keyboard ports in the back, so it didn't run through a USB port.

I have tried three different USB ports.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:53 AM, nate said:

Does the computer have an internet connection?

That is really bizarre, any peripheral using USB should work no problem.  The only thing I can think of is that your usb controller died.

Also like Thomas said, Laptop/Desktop?  and model.

It is hard wired to my router, and the internet connection was active at the time that I tried to install the keyboard/mouse.

The USB ports themselves work, because I can kick out into the setup menu using the function keys on the keyboard while the system is booting up. This is how I get the system to boot from my Win 10 boot stick.The mouse also works when I boot from the boot stick. If I allow the system to proceed, once the drivers are loaded, the mouse and keyboard no longer work.

3 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

DX 4320.

Per the Gateway's support site the only drivers are for Windows 7 64-bit. I surmise you had Windows 10 after doing an in-place upgrade from Windows 7? I would still suspect the driver in question is for the SATA hard drive. It would certainly cause the installation to fail horribly as opposed to say the audio driver. There are perhaps a few methods to get around this mess though I'm not sure how much it's worth it for you. Most of the tweaks would be done in the BIOS.

They wouldn't offer new drivers after windows 7 because any drivers would be packaged with newer versions of Windows.

Still bizarre but maybe a conflict of some kind.  Is there any data on the computer that you need to recover?  Otherwise I wouldn't spend money on pro help on a computer that old.  Can get a new one for < $500.

6 hours ago, nate said:

They wouldn't offer new drivers after windows 7 because any drivers would be packaged with newer versions of Windows.

A rather significant source of new Linux users are those with systems that have non-supported drivers in subsequent versions of Windows. Granted it’s likely if not certainly the vendors’ indifference to supporting their products going forward. I feel for those enterprises that find out that their entirety of systems can’t run a new version of Windows and have about a buck fifty in the system budget.

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

A rather significant source of new Linux users are those with systems that have non-supported drivers in subsequent versions of Windows. Granted it’s likely if not certainly the vendors’ indifference to supporting their products going forward. I feel for those enterprises that find out that their entirety of systems can’t run a new version of Windows and have about a buck fifty in the system budget.

Usually it is just handled by a generic driver.

I think more than anything they are new linux users because their systems can't handle windows anymore.

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm waiting for @Vegas Halo Fan to tell us he just picked up a new iMac Pro.

Not exactly. The verdict is that the Windows installation was corrupted. Since the computer is seven-year-old technology, it wasn't worth spending the money on it to make it run again (which could have been done). It will be replaced by a custom-built desktop made to my specifications. My files and programs will be transferred from my old hard drive to the new one. It will have a 1TB hard drive for data storage and a solid state boot drive.

I suppose that this is an object lesson. If you are offered a new operating system for your computer, it is probably time to think about upgrading equipment.

• 2 weeks later...