• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let’s go get Arrieta

howie

10 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I don't foresee an extension for Trout, as much as we'd like to see one.  I'm guessing he'll want to test free agency.

There is always a chance of a season ending injury!  We have exclusive right to renegotiate with Trout for three more years.  When need to offer him his deal no later than next year.  If he has been happy playing for the Angels he will re-sign.  He won't if he hasn't been happy.  If that's the case we trade him trade him.

Yes yes I know he has a no trade clause.  But if he is unhappy playing for the Angels he would have no problem waiving it.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

There is always a chance of a season ending injury!  We have exclusive right to renegotiate with Trout for three more years.  When need to offer him his deal no later than next year.  If he has been happy playing for the Angels he will re-sign.  He won't if he hasn't been happy.  If that's the case we trade him trade him.

Yes yes I know he has a no trade clause.  But if he is unhappy playing for the Angels he would have no problem waiving it.

I have a feeling that Trout will enjoy playing with Ohtani and visa versa. I also think that if Ohtani is legit, they will both recognize the significance of being on the same team for as long as possible. This will be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

As Doc pointed out, Harper will set the market next winter and we’ll negotiate with Trout based on beating that number 

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I really question whether the team needs any more starters. They've got nine major league caliber starters in Ohtani, Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker, Bridwell, Tropeano, JC Ramirez, and Barria. They need about 900+ innings from starters, which is an average of 100 IP for those nine. I'm fairly certain they can get those 900 IP from the nine in some form or fashion. If we're lucky they'll get 700+ from the top five, then scatter another 200 IP or so among the other four.

Even if there's injury among the top five, you can get more innings from the other four as necessary. Of course the key is you really want to get a good percentage of starts from the top five, because after that the quality drops a notch. But if they can get 110-120 starts from the top five, I'll be happy, with 40-50 starts from the bottom four.

It is a solid group. Lots of question marks, but you've got to believe that the Angels have burned off some of their injury karma. 

I like the depth and quality of the pitching staff.  Every pitcher is an injury risk.  Heck...everyone wants to jump on the Darvish bandwagon, he had TJ surgery and tips his pitches.  
Heck even deGrom, Lance Lynn, Alex Cobb, and Patrick Corbin have all had TJ surgery....We want to sign or trade for these players, with no mention of an injury risk.

I am looking forward to our starting staff this year.  I think we will surprise a lot of people and teams.

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I really question whether the team needs any more starters. They've got nine major league caliber starters in Ohtani (elbow question), Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker, Bridwell, Tropeano, JC Ramirez, and Barria. They need about 900+ innings from starters, which is an average of 100 IP for those nine. I'm fairly certain they can get those 900 IP from the nine in some form or fashion. If we're lucky they'll get 700+ from the top five, then scatter another 200 IP or so among the other four.

Even if there's injury among the top five, you can get more innings from the other four as necessary. Of course the key is you really want to get a good percentage of starts from the top five, because after that the quality drops a notch. But if they can get 110-120 starts from the top five, I'll be happy, with 40-50 starts from the bottom four.

It is a solid group. Lots of question marks, but you've got to believe that the Angels have burned off some of their injury karma. 

3 hours ago, nando714 said:

Those guys just aren’t durable . You can’t trust then

This! I'm not necessarily saying go sign Jake either! Just continue to go after Players that will strengthen your roster, grow the rotation, lengthen the bully, increase the bench. ETC.

I've always been in the group. You continue to build your team as if players are not coming back from injury! Same reason you don't think about them when they are out hurt for a year and half!.... That way if they do comeback and are a 100% now you have a strength to Trade from and make yourself better!

Otherwise, you are always running around like a Chinese fire drill trying to fix the holes in your roster with lesser known quantities! And lesser players.

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

As Doc pointed out, Harper will set the market next winter and we’ll negotiate with Trout based on beating that number 

That makes sense.  We should know before spring training 2019 if Trout wants an extension.  If he doesn't than trade him in July 2019 and get the most out of the package.

I might have to change my mind about wanting the Angels giving Arrieta a big deal that is worth $100 million or even more since Boras is trying to convince teams that Arrieta should get at least $200 million. Let Arrieta sign with some team like the Rangers or even the Astros, bomb him by hitting him hard if one of those teams sign him, and let the team that signs him pay for giving him a big contract. 

12 hours ago, calscuf said:

It just feels like, despite all the talent on the angels top 8-9 potential SP, that it would be beneficial to have a productive veteran in the mix.  Probably not Jake, but someone to slot in after Ohtani and Richards with experience.

i like arrieta because of his experience and success, but your suggestion is great. someone with a track record of success - significant success - who can be a leader and a #1 starter for this team. if it's someone else, that's fine with me. just want it to be someone who's effective and affordable.

Edited by Tank

Was listening to MLB Network radio in the last couple of days and someone on there made a good point.  The Cubs need pitching, but are looking into Darvish, and not Arrieta.  This could be that they know something no one else does.  Or they don't want to mess with Boras.  Either reason is one to stay clear of Arrieta.