• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let’s go get Arrieta

howie

We need this guy-  a true #1 pitcher.  There’s no one on the pitching staff that I would trust in a 1 game playoff.  That may be happening in 2018.  

Yes, he’s older, but we don’t have any playoff proven veterans on the staff.  In fact, the staff really lacks any veteran.  Arrieta can show what it takes to get there.   

As far as the money- yes-  he will be a big purchase, but in reality, Eppler hasn’t spent much this offseason despite all the moves that have been made.  You not only have the savings from the Hamilton contract, but Arte will be getting the $50 million or so from the sale of the MLB media thing to Disney.  It makes sense as we wouldn’t be giving up any prospects either.  

This is our window- 2018-2020.  As much as we all want Mike Trout to stay, he’s earned his right to be a free agent and it’s possible he may leave.  If we can win a WS before his contract is up, I believe that could be the most convincing way to keep him.  

At this point, pitching is our biggest question mark.  If Arrieta is willing to do a 3 or 4 year deal, we have to take that chance to win now

i'm with you on this. give him a call and see what it'll take to get him here. if it's reasonable, work out the details. if he wants greinke money, run away as fast as possible.

if he'd agree to it, i'd do 5/125 with incentives, but nothing longer than 5 years.

Only way I would want him is if he wants to be here so bad he signs a 4 year deal worth about $100 million or 5 year deal at $110 million. Bottom line I don’t think it will happen.  If you are willing to spend that much annually, it might be a better idea to spend that money on 3 year contracts for two great bullpen arms.  

It’s going to be really tough to stay competitive after 2020-  If Trout stays, his salary will be even bigger than now.  Also, Andrelton Simmons’ contract ends after 2020.  It’s also likely that Ohtani will have a much larger contract at that point if  he does as well as we hope he will.  

The roster after 2020 will likely be totally different than now in order to stay competitive and hopefully it’s because the farm system is bringing in players that can contribute at a high level very cheaply.  

Do we really think Mike stays if he has a bad taste in his mouth from losing in the playoffs 3 years in a row?  That’s assuming we get there.  He’s already got the money- he’s going to be looking to win it all and 2018-2020 is the best window to win it all.  All of the teams that went far last year had multiple pitchers that were better than our best pitchers-  who are we going to put out there against Verlander?  Kershaw? Keuchel? Lester? Kluber?  

I *hope* Ohtani can be that pitcher, but it sure would be nice to have someone we can feel confident with.  

I think it’s great we’ve made the moves we have, but we’re really missing a guy like Arrieta.    It’s not just about his performance, but also what he can do for the younger pitchers- especially someone like Ohtani.  

4 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We are less than $20MM from the tax Threshold and I doubt we can afford Arrieta, extend Trout, and still get any of the top FA next offseason.

I don't foresee an extension for Trout, as much as we'd like to see one.  I'm guessing he'll want to test free agency.

13 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We are less than $20MM from the tax Threshold and I doubt we can afford Arrieta, extend Trout, and still get any of the top FA next offseason.

I believe now is the time to go over the luxury tax for a couple of years if needed.  Arte isn’t hurting for cash-  think of the extra revenue Ohtani can bring in himself if the Angels are smart about it.  

If we get Arrieta now, his contract could be a bargain after all the $ gets doled out to next year’s FA class.  If we can go deep in 2018, it’s going to make those FA’s that want to win more willing to sign with the Angels than if we lose in the wild card game.  

48 minutes ago, howie said:

We need this guy-  a true #1 pitcher.  There’s no one on the pitching staff that I would trust in a 1 game playoff.  That may be happening in 2018.  

Yes, he’s older, but we don’t have any playoff proven veterans on the staff.  In fact, the staff really lacks any veteran.  Arrieta can show what it takes to get there.   

As far as the money- yes-  he will be a big purchase, but in reality, Eppler hasn’t spent much this offseason despite all the moves that have been made.  You not only have the savings from the Hamilton contract, but Arte will be getting the $50 million or so from the sale of the MLB media thing to Disney.  It makes sense as we wouldn’t be giving up any prospects either.  

This is our window- 2018-2020.  As much as we all want Mike Trout to stay, he’s earned his right to be a free agent and it’s possible he may leave.  If we can win a WS before his contract is up, I believe that could be the most convincing way to keep him.  

At this point, pitching is our biggest question mark.  If Arrieta is willing to do a 3 or 4 year deal, we have to take that chance to win now

Do you know who his agent is?

8 minutes ago, howie said:

Do we really think Mike stays if he has a bad taste in his mouth from losing in the playoffs 3 years in a row?  That’s assuming we get there.  He’s already got the money- he’s going to be looking to win it all and 2018-2020 is the best window to win it all.  All of the teams that went far last year had multiple pitchers that were better than our best pitchers-  who are we going to put out there against Verlander?  Kershaw? Keuchel? Lester? Kluber?  

I *hope* Ohtani can be that pitcher, but it sure would be nice to have someone we can feel confident with.  

I think it’s great we’ve made the moves we have, but we’re really missing a guy like Arrieta.    It’s not just about his performance, but also what he can do for the younger pitchers- especially someone like Ohtani.  

All I can say is don't hold your breath, cause it isn't going to happen. I think you will be surprised just how good Richards is going to be.

Age 32 pitcher commanding nine figures through his age 36 season.  Coming off a 1.9 WAR season with an FIP of 4.16 and 168ip.  

You aren't getting the guy that had a 2 era in 2015.  You're getting a declining star.  

These are the exact types of contracts to avoid unless it's the final piece.  

3 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

Do you know who his agent is?

We’re going to have to deal with Boras at some point or another-  if we think we’re going to get any of the primo 2018 FA’s- we will have to deal with him.  If anything, I hope Eppler at least meets with Boras- it would be interesting to see how he deals with him

1 minute ago, howie said:

We’re going to have to deal with Boras at some point or another-  if we think we’re going to get any of the primo 2018 FA’s- we will have to deal with him.  If anything, I hope Eppler at least meets with Boras- it would be interesting to see how he deals with him

Not if Arte has anything to do with it.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

and another point.  

Arte isn't going over the luxury tax.  ever.

I can see a situation in which he could, but it'd have to be a one-time deal only, such that he could go right back under that limit the next season (i.e., a significant contract is expiring, etc).  

2 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

Not if Arte has anything to do with it.  

I do think this is overblown.  It's bad business to summarily dismiss players just based on who they're represented by, and I think Arte knows this.  If Trout suddenly changed his representation to Boras, I doubt Arte would decline to discuss a new contract with Trout.  

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I do think this is overblown.  It's bad business to summarily dismiss players just based on who they're represented by, and I think Arte knows this.  If Trout suddenly changed his representation to Boras, I doubt Arte would decline to discuss a new contract with Trout.  

Arte doesn't get into bidding wars.  That's Boras' game.  If Trout hires Boras as an agent...goodbye Trout.  It won't be a "Weaver hometown discount" situation.

Our lineup is much improved, but it’s still not as good as the Astros or Yankees and their pitching is much better.  There are huge questions about every single starting pitcher on our roster.  Do you really think Richards or Heaney or Shoemaker have a chance in the playoffs against Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton?  Or against Altuve and Correa?  

Let’s remember-  the Astros have been there- done that now.  Their playoff and WS experience is huge.  

I don’t want to just be happy to reach the playoffs-  I remember how disappointed I was in 2005 and 2009 and getting swept by the Royals in 2014.  If we’re going to the playoffs, let’s have a chance to win.  If we don’t get Arrieta now, we’ll have to give up some of our potentially great minor leaguers to try to get someone like Arrieta at the trade deadline so we can be competitive in the playoffs.  

17 minutes ago, howie said:

Our lineup is much improved, but it’s still not as good as the Astros or Yankees and their pitching is much better.  There are huge questions about every single starting pitcher on our roster.  Do you really think Richards or Heaney or Shoemaker have a chance in the playoffs against Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton?  Or against Altuve and Correa?  

Let’s remember-  the Astros have been there- done that now.  Their playoff and WS experience is huge.  

I don’t want to just be happy to reach the playoffs-  I remember how disappointed I was in 2005 and 2009 and getting swept by the Royals in 2014.  If we’re going to the playoffs, let’s have a chance to win.  If we don’t get Arrieta now, we’ll have to give up some of our potentially great minor leaguers to try to get someone like Arrieta at the trade deadline so we can be competitive in the playoffs.  

Signing Arrieta isn't putting us over the top, and anchoring us down to a 25mil/year pitcher will truly hurt us next year when the truly elite free agents hit the market.  Save the money and cap space, keep trying to fortify the team, and keep an eye on the future.  Realistically, we aren't a championship team next year, but we're a lot closer than we were a year ago.