• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Seattle NHL Expansion

nate

All the GMs including Vegas need to push that they will be able to protect 9 forwards, 4 D-men & 1 goalie, instead give Seattle several 1st round picks including a guarenteed #2 overall pick.

Instead why not move the dead Florida Panthers franchise to Seattle ? Tampa Bay Lightning will always be the 'team' of Florida hockey.

4 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

All the GMs including Vegas need to push that they will be able to protect 9 forwards, 4 D-men & 1 goalie, instead give Seattle several 1st round picks including a guarenteed #2 overall pick.

Instead why not move the dead Florida Panthers franchise to Seattle ? Tampa Bay Lightning will always be the 'team' of Florida hockey.

They need to balance the leagues, that's why they want expansion.

But IMO, they should give an option to Seattle.  Draft like a typical expansion franchise and pay $300 million.  Or do like the Knights did, and pay $650 million.  

Seattle has enough hockey fans and fans that have played hockey that they would still be packed with a typical expansion team.  Where I think it was smart to give Vegas a competitive team to a virgin market that really doesn't know much about hockey.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 4:04 PM, gotbeer said:

Seattle has enough hockey fans and fans that have played hockey that they would still be packed with a typical expansion team.  Where I think it was smart to give Vegas a competitive team to a virgin market that really doesn't know much about hockey.  

It's more than just that. If they want the sport to gain a hold in a market with this many entertainment options, putting in a team that was guaranteed to suck for the first 5-7 years wouldn't be a great way to do it.

• 8 months later...

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-and-notes-seattle-gusev-seguin-karlsson-and-pacioretty/2018/09/09/

Seattle expansion voting may be delayed

Dan Rosen: Though it’s not guaranteed, the earliest that the NHL Board of Governors would vote on Seattle expansion is in December according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daley. A more realistic season for their inaugural season is 2021-22 and not 2020-21.

Delaying it a year, has some big planning ramifications.  For instance, in the Ducks case, 2021-22 vs 2020-21 means guys like Steel, Petersson, Terry, Larsson may be eligible in the 2020-21 Scenario.  It's a pretty big deal to delay it one year.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:03 AM, gotbeer said:

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-and-notes-seattle-gusev-seguin-karlsson-and-pacioretty/2018/09/09/

Delaying it a year, has some big planning ramifications.  For instance, in the Ducks case, 2021-22 vs 2020-21 means guys like Steel, Petersson, Terry, Larsson may be eligible in the 2020-21 Scenario.  It's a pretty big deal to delay it one year.

Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf & Cogs are FA after 2020-21 season. Kesler will be under contract for only 1 more season so he probably gets bought out or he waives NMC

Players under contract during delayed scenario in 2021-22:

Kase/Rakell/Steel/Terry/Henrique/Fowler/Manson/Lindholm/Montour/Gibson - either way they have to move a player or trade something so they don't pick a player.

Larsson probably becomes a Seattle Grunge in part of a trade to not select Montour.

• 2 months later...

The 13 Possible Names for Seattle’s New NHL Team, Ranked

13. KRAKEN

Ok East coast.  But West Coast Pirates of the Caribbean South magic.  

12. FIREBIRDS

Not bad.  Then again, I thought Aces would be a good Vegas name, but that was a Reno I think minor league baseball club.

11. RENEGADES

Just a song pops in my head.

10. WHALES

I agree, this is Hartfords name.

9. EAGLES

Conflicting with a Philly team.  Trademark hell.

8. COUGARS

Agree, that Washington State takes precedence.  

7. SEA LIONS

Better than #5.

6. EVERGREENS

Standford has competition for stupid nicknames.

5. SEALS

One thing Washington and Oregon Hates is compared to Calolfornia.  And Seals should only be Calolfornia.

4. EMERALDS

I get the emerald city.  I say the Oz route is better than a rock.

3. RAINIERS

At least it has a local connection

2. Totems.

Canucks.  Whose whole identity is a totem.  

1. SOCKEYES

Can't do Salmon?  

• 4 weeks later...