• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alden Gonzalez: Porter issues apology for misinterpreting rules

you know, this is simply amazing to me.

how does the umpiring crew miss this one?

how does a major league manager not know this?

the only aspect of the rule I am not clear about is it says the 'new' pitcher in this situation MUST pitch to one batter -- I've always thought the 'new' pitcher could make ONE pitch to the next hitter and then be replaced........I am not sure if that's the case, but I've always thought, if ONE pitch was thrown, then the pitcher could be replaced.

Sosh was all over this one and it must have been completely frustrating to know he' s absolutely right and the umps are letting it go.......

Glad MLB suspended the umpiring crew -- there needs to be some consequence. Again, I find this as another example of baseball fundamentals simply going by the wayside with the current generation of players, coaches, managers and, apparently, umpires, too.

Oh well, maybe that Home run was ground rule double or something.........how about that blown call? what a week for MLB umps.

the only aspect of the rule I am not clear about is it says the 'new' pitcher in this situation MUST pitch to one batter -- I've always thought the 'new' pitcher could make ONE pitch to the next hitter and then be replaced........I am not sure if that's the case, but I've always thought, if ONE pitch was thrown, then the pitcher could be replaced.

The way the rule reads, he pretty much has to complete the at-bat - not just throw one pitch and come out.

Don't see why he's apologizing, each one of those asshat umpires should be doing it instead. 

Sure the manager didn't know something we all figure is basic knowledge, but that's not his problem, managers have brain farts, lots of stuff going on during games, sure enough somethings going to come along they don't know. 

The umps should be apologizing because first and foremost its the UMPIRES JOBS to ENFORCE and KNOW the rules and in this situation they failed miserably. Hell, I wonder if this would have even been an issue if Mike didn't run out there to start arguing! And THAT is my biggest beef with this.

Don't see why he's apologizing, each one of those asshat umpires should be doing it instead. 

Sure the manager didn't know something we all figure is basic knowledge, but that's not his problem, managers have brain farts, lots of stuff going on during games, sure enough somethings going to come along they don't know. 

The umps should be apologizing because first and foremost its the UMPIRES JOBS to ENFORCE and KNOW the rules and in this situation they failed miserably. Hell, I wonder if this would have even been an issue if Mike didn't run out there to start arguing! And THAT is my biggest beef with this.

.....and it wasn't just one umpire, all four group farted.

Actually, the pitcher doesn't need to throw a pitch if an out is recorded. If a pitcher came into a game and picks off a runner on base before throwing a pitch, he can be replaced whether it was the last out of the inning or not.

Actually, the pitcher doesn't need to throw a pitch if an out is recorded. If a pitcher came into a game and picks off a runner on base before throwing a pitch, he can be replaced whether it was the last out of the inning or not.

On this Angels team that could have definitely happened.

I have no problem with that the Astros manager did.  He knew the rule, but interpreted it a different way.  And it's stand up for him to come out and say it, and explain his thought process with it.  And you can't fault him for that.  That's showing character.  

It's the umpires though that should know the rules, and should correct on a misinterpretation of the rules.  

I can understand a manager misinterpreting a rule but not an umpire. Where I work there are so many policies and procedures that I have forgotten them in the past. However in my position now I am paid to enforce those same policies and procedures. If I ever have a question about one I would call a coworker and they would inevitably know. In this instance none of the umps knew what the rule was.

I see no need for an apology from Porter, he didn't know the rule but the umpires are supposed to know.

Having said that I like the way Porter conducts himself.  I like that he wears the same uniform on the field as the players, instead of the silly windbreaker or whatever that is that many managers wear.

Rookie manager who made a mistake and admitted it.

Good for him.

The umps should be practicing thier craft in the Texas League for a couple of months as punishment.

I hear it's lovely in Midland, Little Rock, and Tulsa during the summer.

Exactly. They should be apologizing to him for making them all look like idiots. One of the most basic rules of the game, and 4 umpires missed it.

I doubt Porter voluntarily made this apology. It is the responsibility of the manager to know exactly what the rules of the game allows him to do and not stand out there like a village idiot during his relief pitchers warm ups and make an illegal substitution. The Astros management looks bad enough assembling the worst team in baseball 4 years running and then put a manager in charge that hasn't read the rule book so I am guessing this apology was mandated by Porter's bosses.