• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Youtube TV

nate

Probably the biggest thing preventing me from cutting the cord was NBCSN/FS1/ESPN, so now that they are available on Youtube TV for $35 a month I finally cut the cord.

$140/year for NHL, $85/year for MLB, $15 a month for HBO, and $35/month for youtube tv, vs the $200 a month I was paying for Directv.  Feels good.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I need to take some time and figure out how we want to handle the TV situation. My gut says there's no reason to carry DirecTv any longer. 

We looked at what we had on the DVR and the only thing that we would be missing out on would be a couple shows on Discovery and a couple on Food network, and more often than not those get deleted because we are not interested or just played in the background while we don't pay attention them anyway.

DTV is just too expensive, especially because of all the extra dvr fees and extra room fees and that bullshit they charge.

i said fuck that shit a while ago and have been using playstation vue. got the top tier package which is basically everything with hbo and showtime for $75 flat. my playstation has pretty much become my entertainment hub with vue, gaming, movies, and my apps like netflix and hulu.

takes some getting used, but can watch anywhere on multiple devices. beats what we were paying before. they just got pissed and jacked up our internet a bit.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

i said fuck that shit a while ago and have been using playstation vue. got the top tier package which is basically everything with hbo and showtime for $75 flat. my playstation has pretty much become my entertainment hub with vue, gaming, movies, and my apps like netflix and hulu.

takes some getting used, but can watch anywhere on multiple devices. beats what we were paying before. they just got pissed and jacked up our internet a bit.

vue has NBCSN/ESPN/FS1?  To watch on other TVs, what do you need, just an app?

16 hours ago, nate said:

vue has NBCSN/ESPN/FS1?  To watch on other TVs, what do you need, just an app?

Yep, those are included.

Just the app and device to run it....PS3/PS4, Roku, Fire Stick, etc. 

I watch the United games on FS1 and NBCSN on my work computer and cell phone when away from home. Cell is a little quirky, you have to log in from home every now and then as a security feature to get “mobile restricted content” on the phone.

On 11/7/2017 at 7:03 AM, nate said:

Probably the biggest thing preventing me from cutting the cord was NBCSN/FS1/ESPN, so now that they are available on Youtube TV for $35 a month I finally cut the cord.

$140/year for NHL, $85/year for MLB, $15 a month for HBO, and $35/month for youtube tv, vs the $200 a month I was paying for Directv.  Feels good.

DTV = 200/month

140/12 = 11.67/mo for NHL

15/mo = HBO

85/12 = 7.08/mo MLB

35/mo youtube (is this youtube red?)

= 68.75/mo

looks good. we've talked about reducing payments and this is worth considering as long as we can get the same channels. so how do you watch things on your big screen?

the only reason i had cable/directv was for sports

cut the cord 4 months ago, and have invested the $600 i've saved. feels good, and it only took a week or so for it to feel completely normal to not be able to flip on the tv. 

i thought about getting some of the a la cart services available, but nothing has looked as good as youtube tv.   i might go ahead and get it. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, LHalo said:

The Angels games aren't blacked out on PlayStation Vue or YouTube TV are they? @nate @Brandon

I'm deciding between those and Fubo. 

all good. the only thing I've had blacked out was a couple ducks games when they only show them on that weird ass channel that I think shares with 13 and it even had it's own vue message how they aren't allowed to stream certain events or sports.

34 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Cuz its a decent replacement for cable tv.

what's on it?

i thought it would be just like paid access to youtube stuff, like the logan paul guy and crap like that.

i didn't realize it's legit cable/broadcast programming. color me impressed.

it's decent?

16 hours ago, mrwicked said:

what's on it?

i thought it would be just like paid access to youtube stuff, like the logan paul guy and crap like that.

i didn't realize it's legit cable/broadcast programming. color me impressed.

it's decent?

It is good, it has nothing to do with normal youtube, just streaming live tv and dvr for all local channels and about 30 other cable channels like fox sports regionals, fs1, fs2, nbcsn, cbs sports, tnt, etc.

The nice part is that the youtube streaming UI is the nicest around, IMO.  Plus you can chromecast/airplay from any device.

3 minutes ago, nate said:

It is good, it has nothing to do with normal youtube, just streaming live tv and dvr for all local channels and about 30 other cable channels like fox sports regionals, fs1, fs2, nbcsn, cbs sports, tnt, etc.

The nice part is that the youtube streaming UI is the nicest around, IMO.  Plus you can chromecast/airplay from any device.

As I was going to ask you before I brutally murdered your previous post, does it use the same app on devices like consoles and roku?

2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

As I was going to ask you before I brutally murdered your previous post, does it use the same app on devices like consoles and roku?

my first post was better, just sayin'.  :P

It uses a "Youtube TV" app.  That is definitely one thing I think they could have improved on, integrating it into the regular youtube app.  I am not sure if it is available on Roku but it probably is, I used it on Xbox usually or just chromecasted from the iOS/Android app depending on what I was doing.  The apps based on streaming devices like TV/Xbox/etc work a lot like a normal cable TV box, you can channel up and down, bring up a guide or bring up your DVR.  DVR is unlimited space, I assume because they are already keeping a recording of everything that airs and are just streaming it.

I only ever came across two issues, when I had a tv hooked up to my PC using a DVI->HDMI cable, it wouldn't let me up the resolution past 480p because it uses HDCP to make sure you aren't doing anything illegal.  I remedied the issue by switching to a DP->HDMI cable.  The second being that they didn't have a contract with my local fox affiliate so it used the national Fox stream which meant regional NFL games would not be on the channel, but I could use the Fox Sports Go app to watch it.  Means no DVR option though.  You can do a free trial to see if your local station is contracted with them or if you get the national feed.

Just Googled and it looks like there is an app for Roku.  https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/30/16570626/youtube-tv-app-apple-tv-roku-xbox-one-android-tv

Anyway, I was very happy with Youtube TV, but when I called DirecTV to cancel, they offered me $75 off for a year plus HBO and NHL Center Ice for free so I am paying like $60 for something that was costing me $190.  I will call again in a year, if they don't give me the same deal I will switch back to Youtube TV.