• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton Signs New 5-Year, $106m Deal with Angels

totdprods

12 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just looking at his defensive stats and they are kinda depressing. Though, isn't there is a lot of OF free agent talent available this year? May drive his price down a bit.

MLB Trade Rumors predicted six years, $150 million for him. And Boston may actually do something approaching that level of craziness. 

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

I've already said I hated the Upton trade and ofcourse I hate this deal also.

One thing no one has mentioned is what's gonna happen to the angels young OF prospects?

They are all going to be ready in three years?  Pujols will be off the team in four, Upton goes to DH, Kole ends up being traded.  

BTW by record it can be said the Angels were worse with Upton.  However, are you going to think Trout will bat 230 all next season like he did this last September?  And are you assuming the Angels will have 33% of their games next year against 100 win teams....like last September?

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

you have to have a reliable bullpen if you want to win.  this has been extensively demonstrated.

This, despite the fact that Houston's bullpen WAS terrible. Virtually all their good relief appearances came from guys who were starters in the regular season. Morton, Musgrove, McCullars and Peacock. 

I thought it was a masterful job of managing by Hinch. As Buck and Smoltz pointed out more than once, he used his eyes instead of "the book" to decide who to run out there.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

"Justin Upton's contract includes an $8.5 million signing bonus, which will be paid to him in 2022, atop his $19.5 base salary the final year."

From Nightengale...

I don't understand it then. What's the difference between a $28M salary and a $19.5M salary and $8.5M signing bonus if it's all paid in the same year?

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don't understand it then. What's the difference between a $28M salary and a $19.5M salary and $8.5M signing bonus if it's all paid in the same year?

I wonder if there are tax reasons? Or maybe it is literally when in the year it gets paid out. I'm not 100% clear on when during the year a given contract is paid out.

Edit: Like, I could imagine a world where Upton walks away with 8.5 million today, but has to wait until the beginning of the season (or even the end) to get the rest of this season's cash. Or even that the cash is paid in several smaller chunks throughout the year.

2 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I wonder if there are tax reasons? Or maybe it is literally when in the year it gets paid out. I'm not 100% clear on when during the year a given contract is paid out.

Your salary is paid in 12 installments throughout the 6 months of the season. 

The signing bonus can be paid however they agree. All at once on Jan 1. Half in January and half in July. In all nickels on his birthday. Whatever they want. 

4 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

No. A full year of Upton over Maybin makes us greatly improved.

Upton 35HRs, 109 RBIs, 100 runs .273/.361/.540/.901

Maybin 10HRs, 35 RBIs, 63 runs  .228/.318/.365/.683   

If the difference in WAR between two players resulted in a difference in wins over the course of a season, and we had had Upton all of last year, we would have been in the playoffs to loose to the Yankees (or maybe Indians). Now its time to beef up our team until we can actually compete with these guys.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Angels basically just deferred $11 million over the first 3 years in exchange for $28 million in year 5. They also lower the aav by $1 million per year in years 1 through 4 while adding an extra $21 million against the luxury tax calculation in year 5. 

Are you sure? AAV means the entire contact is averaged over the entire length of the contract. So the AAV should the same in 2018 as in 2022. If not it doesn't make sense to me.

9 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

No. A full year of Upton over Maybin makes us greatly improved.

Upton 35HRs, 109 RBIs, 100 runs .273/.361/.540/.901

Maybin 10HRs, 35 RBIs, 63 runs  .228/.318/.365/.683   

And I personally think it helped Pujols, sliding down and having pressure taken off him.
There's more to it than that, but it deepens the offense on this team quite a bit, especially when we find another piece or two for the infield.

I feel like Hosmer is the right play.

My instincts tell me Moustakas might be a bust or really close to Valbuena.

I don't believe in Cron as an everyday player over 150 games.  I just feel he is a tweener, too good to sit and not good enough to be happy with his 150 game performance.

Find a team that thinks he is serviceable for 150 games and trade him.

Hosmer checks off 1B period.