• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton Signs New 5-Year, $106m Deal with Angels

totdprods

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

A few things to consider. One, Calhoun will possibly be traded. If he's not, he'll only block an OF prospect if he's better than that OF prospect, in which case the prospect could be traded.

Two, the only OF prospect who is close to ready is Hermosillo, who probably won't be better than a quality regular, maybe more of a good platoon/role player. Hermosillo can still slot in nicely as soon as late 2018 as the 4th outfielder and, if he shows more potential, the starter in 2019, with Calhoun shipped.

After Hermosillo, you've got Jones coming up sometime in late 2019 or 2020. Adell and Marsh in 2020-21, and Deveaux in 2022 or beyond. Upton is signed 2018-22, so if he's in decline those last couple years could be pushed.

And of course there's no certainty that Trout will re-sign with the Angels, so it is theoretically possible that come 2021, Upton will be joined in the outfield by three of Jones, Adell, and Marsh.

If I were to guess, we'd probably see an OF as follows:

2018: Upton, Trout, Calhoun

2019: Upton, Trout, Calhoun or Hermosillo/Jones

2020: Jones, Trout, Upton

2021: Trout, Jones, Adell/Marsh; Upton as DH

2022: Trout, Jones, Adell/Marsh; Upton as DH

Look for Calhoun to have a career year for him in 2018, to quote a Beatles song I have a feelin'. He is better than what he showed in 2017.

Same goes for Cron, but I thought Cowart would have a good partial season once called up to the majors last season. So what do I know?

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And for the first time in his career, he can play with the comfort of knowing he is wanted here and isn't a piece of trade meat. I think he's going to be a very good player here for the next few years.

maybe it's the skeptic in me, but when you compare this deal to guys like Choo and Cespedes, it seems like a steal.  Is that because other teams know something we don't, or did we actually get a good deal?  

Just now, Dochalo said:

btw, why are we thinking Calhoun is on the block?  Because we want Stanton?  

I think the OF is pretty set.  

2b and 3b become the targets now.  Maybe 1b if they think Valbuena stick at third.  

I don't think Calhoun is necessarily on the block but if the Angels have an opportunity to upgrade he could be on the "opportunity block".

I’ll put it in the perspective of someone who spends all his time watching aircrews train for bombing missions. The objective of the hot stove mission is an everyday second baseman who adds speed and obp. Then veer towards arms that come at low prices. Starters, relievers,hybrids, arms. Everything else is a target of opportunity 

I was real big on Upton a few yeard ago (when he was a FA), and was glad when we traded for him. Im glad we resigned him. 

But i hope this isnt our "all in" move for the offense. Id still like to get another plus hitter. Im not sure upton repeats his 17 too many more times.

Hopeful that we at least get a bat for 2B, and if we call it there, at least have the financial flexibility to make another in season move if were in it next year.

10 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I’ll put it in the perspective of someone who spends all his time watching aircrews train for bombing missions. The objective of the hot stove mission is an everyday second baseman who adds speed and obp. Then veer towards arms that come at low prices. Starters, relievers,hybrids, arms. Everything else is a target of opportunity 

Then you will like what the next part of the Primers says on Monday (Hint: I literally used the exact same words you just did - left-handed 2B with on-base skills, a starter (preferable front or mid-rotation) or a multi-innings type).

On 11/2/2017 at 12:11 PM, ettin said:

So this is how it could play out (I'm jumping the gun a little here on my series):

The Angels have a fair amount of AAV cap space but not quite as much actual payroll space (there is about a $16M delta between the two).

By doing this payment outlay they push more of the money owed to him to the back-end of his contract creating more actual payroll space over the next three years (the window of contention).

Also when they extend Mike Trout, almost certainly next year later in the off-season (mid-December probably during the end of the Winter Meetings), they will do similar loading for 2019 and 2020. Additionally other possible extension candidates like Richards, Maldonado and Simmons, if they extend them, will likely have similar light loading in the 2018-2020 time frame.

All of this is designed to take advantage of this 3-year window to seriously compete.

The money they save will either a ) be used towards other extensions or b ) to pick up a big name player or multiple mid-tier players to create a better supporting cast for Trout.

This is yet another indicator of Eppler's and Moreno's commitment to seriously compete over the next three years (and of course beyond) where they know, for sure, Mike Trout is under their control (and I have a strong feeling that if Mike is happy next year he's signing a big extension after).

Likely one or possibly two of our three big OF prospects will almost certainly be trade bait to acquire other pieces now. You don't need OF prospects when you have one guy under control for 5 years and I suspect the Angels believe that Trout will stay and sign an extension. That means you only need to replace Calhoun in the "long" run. One or more of these prospects will be used to get another quality MLB player.

This could be ONE of several big names around baseball. Very likely Eppler is targeting a player (or players) under contractual control with a set AAV that is relatively low compared to the quality of the player. Stanton at $17.3M is valuable. Archer at $4.25 is EXTREMELY valuable. Kipnis at $8.25M is also a bargain. There are a lot of these types scattered about the other 29 teams and Billy is probably closing in on one or more of them

This is good news!!!!

Thanks @totdprods for sharing that!

If I"m predicting....

2018: Hermosillo in AAA until July, then 4th OF, Thaiss in AA until July then finishes the year in AAA.  Jones in Cal League until July, then AA, Marsh and Adell in Burlington until July then Inland Empire, Deveaux in Arizona then Orem. 

2019: Hermosillo is 4th OF or platoon OF with Angels, Thaiss starts in AAA and finishes as the Angels starting 1B.  Jones in AA until July, then finishes the year in AAA with a taste of MLB in September, Marsh and Adell are at Inland Empire until July, then they're both in AA, Deveaux in A Ball. 

2020: Calhoun is traded and Albert hangs them up.  Hermosillo in LF, Jones in RF, Upton to DH, Thaiss at 1B.  Marsh and Adell are in AA until July, then are promoted to AAA.  Deveaux is in the Cal League.

2021: Trout goes to Philadelphia, my heart breaks.  Hermosillo traded.  Adell in LF, Jones in CF, Marsh in RF, Thaiss at 1B, Upton at DH.  Deveaux  in AA. 

2022: Adell in LF, Jones in CF, Marsh in RF, Thaiss at 1B, Upton at DH.  Deveaux in AAA. 

2023: Deveaux in LF, Jones in CF, Marsh in RF, Thaiss at 1B Adell at DH. 

11 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Pretty fair deal on both sides. Let's all remember though that the Angels were a sub .500 team with Upton in the lineup last year so bringing him back doesn't really improve them, just keeps them from getting worse. They're still a looooong ways away from competing.

Sorry but looking at the team record while he was here (for one month) is a shitty way of grading whether or not he improves the team.  Especially when he had good numbers.  Here’s an extreme example of what you said.  The Angels were about .500 this year.  While Trout was on the DL the team was about .500.  Thusly Trout doesn’t improve the team.  

14 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Pretty fair deal on both sides. Let's all remember though that the Angels were a sub .500 team with Upton in the lineup last year so bringing him back doesn't really improve them, just keeps them from getting worse. They're still a looooong ways away from competing.

Shortly after aquiring Upton, JC Ramirez went on the DL for the rest of the season. Trout went into a tailspin and tanked September. The Angels schedule included 9 games between Houston and Cleveland so obviously Upton was a non factor with his 7 home runs in 27 games and won't be next season as well.

How do you breathe in that lightless sealed bubble? 

The Angels ranked at or near the bottom of offense production from LF, C, DH, 3B and 2B last year.

Given how bad they were in these positions, upgrading shouldn't be terribly difficult. In LF, we probably move all the way to the top with Upton. 

We won't upgrade at catcher or DH, given the team's stubborn commitment to Pujols.  It's a shame because even giving Pujols' at-bats to Cron or Valbuena is probably a two win improvement.

That leaves 2B and 3B. Guys like Frazier, Moustakas, Gordon would be big improvements - probably two to three wins at each position.

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

A good team should be able to survive when a single player goes into a slump. The Angels couldn't, even with Upton. They are about 5 all stars away from being able to compete as this year's playoffs showed.

You should back to talking about aeronautics in the conspiracy theories thread, this is way over your head.

Not enough. This isn't basketball. This team needs a complete overhaul in order to compete.

So you stopped paying attention years ago I take it.  This team is and has been over hauling.  They can compete this coming year but to get past teams like Houston or Cleveland it would take literally everything going right.  

3 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

True, but thats also assuming trout is going to suck again. And pujols is a better hitter than trout.

Upton's month here was a fluke, teamwise.

A good team should be able to survive when a single player goes into a slump. The Angels couldn't, even with Upton. They are about 5 all stars away from being able to compete as this year's playoffs showed.

But they also thrived when trout went on the DL

I agree what youre saying, that upton alone isnt the difference maker. But i think there is a lot more talent on this team than weve seen so far.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

The Angels ranked at or near the bottom of offense production from LF, C, DH, 3B and 2B last year.

Given how bad they were in these positions, upgrading shouldn't be terribly difficult. In LF, we probably move all the way to the top with Upton. 

We won't upgrade at catcher or DH, given the team's stubborn commitment to Pujols.  It's a shame because even giving Pujols' at-bats to Cron or Valbuena is probably a two win improvement.

That leaves 2B and 3B. Guys like Frazier, Moustakas, Gordon would be big improvements - probably two to three wins at each position.

I also think its make or break time for kole. He doesnt have to be a superstar, but if he gets back to his borderline star output, with trout, upton and hopefully simmons still a threat, its a pretty decent core 

• 2 years later...