• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Redskings name change?

happybat4

There has been some renewed talk about the Redskins and people trying to force them to change their name. What do you guys think. I am not Native American, but I can definitely see how that name would be offensive. Same thing with the Cleveland Indians logo. Do you guys think it is offensive. I don't see the difference between a team being called the Redskins or being called the ni**ers.

`

"Redskins" is offensive and racist. It is a term applied to Native Americans to demean and belittle them. I have never understood the term "Indians" either. it is a misnomer applied by Christopher Columbus because he mistakenly believed that he had landed in the East Indies while trying to find a new trade route to India..

There has been some renewed talk about the Redskins and people trying to force them to change their name. What do you guys think. I am not Native American, but I can definitely see how that name would be offensive. Same thing with the Cleveland Indians logo. Do you guys think it is offensive. I don't see the difference between a team being called the Redskins or being called the ni**ers.

Please tell me that your misspelling of "Redskins" in the thread title is not intentional.

As a huge Redskins fans I'm offended by the talk of changing their name. Even RG3 came out on Twitter and spoke out against it. Basically called political correctness tyranny. If they change their name I'll find another team for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congress is getting involved now.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9319267/members-congress-urge-washington-redskins-change-name

I'm a Cowboys fan and absolutely hate the Redskins, however I'm against them having to change their name.  Do people even use the word "redskin" in a derogatory manner anymore?  Maybe living in California I'm just blind to it but I never hear it.

• 1 month later...

Redskins fan here..I don't really mind them changing the name, but I love the logo and colors. If they change the name, I hope it's a name that can still work with the Indianhead logo. But Snyder is pretty set on keeping the name. It will only get changed if Big Brother finds a way to make them change it.

Redskins fan here..I don't really mind them changing the name, but I love the logo and colors. If they change the name, I hope it's a name that can still work with the Indianhead logo. But Snyder is pretty set on keeping the name. It will only get changed if Big Brother finds a way to make them change it.

Not sure how long you've been a fan but I've been one since I was 6 (1979) when I lived outside of DC. I love my REDSKINS! No way would I ever support a name change. I may support a logo change if they use some retro ones.

He'll change it if he ever hopes to get public funding for the stadium in DC proper he's been hinting about.

Not sure how long you've been a fan but I've been one since I was 6 (1979) when I lived outside of DC. I love my REDSKINS! No way would I ever support a name change. I may support a logo change if they use some retro ones.

Since the late 90s. I am in Orange County, CA. Lived here 98% of my life. We don't have a home team here anymore..and no, I don't consider the Chargers to be a home team to anybody north of S.D. County. It sucks we're just inside the blackout range for them since they haven't been selling out much lately. But at least they can show them on the Red Zone channel.

I didn't watch football when I was a kid at all..it was only baseball and the Lakers. Finally got into football just before the Raiders and Rams left. I rooted for the Raiders..which is weird maybe, since I was born in Anaheim. But I wasn't a Raiders fan that long before they left, so I didn't feel bad about not rooting for them anymore. Plus it was tough to root for a team that left you..even though they went back to the city they were in before L.A. Next couple of years, I just watched games and didn't root for any team. But watching without having a team kinda sucked, so I chose Washington because it's the nations capital and I always liked their style of play under Gibbs..and loved their logo and colors, too. 

I don't have a problem with the name actually. I wouldn't vote to change it. But I can see the racist part about it, so that's why I wouldn't cry too much if they changed the name to something that worked with the current logo. Not too big on the older logos like the spear and the R. 

As a Giants fan, I have lots of respect for the skins. Loved the rivalry over the years. They are the only other team in the division with class.

If there were no Giants, I think they would be my team.

The Redskins have some great old uni's. This one is my favorite:

redskins_lg.jpeg

Time to change the name...you don't see teams with the name niggers, kikes, spics, wetbacks, micks, slant eyes, gooks, tar babies, etc. Folks want to whine about the "tradition" of the name Redskins, claim political correctness. Big ****ing deal, get over it. Whining political correctness doesn't give cover for the use of a highly offensive term. Here's an idea...walk up to someone of Indian descent and call them "redskin"...see if you walk away without a fist in your mouth or seeing the horror wash over their face, or the people around them. If it doesn't pass that test...probably shouldn't be your team name.

Add in the checkered past of the team, including being the last to integrate

"We'll start signing Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites."

—
George Preston Marshall
; founder of the Washington Redskins, 1961

Grantland had a nice writeup on this awhile back

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9376010/rename-washington-redskins

I have no issue with a name like Indians, Seminoles, Braves, etc. Those aren't derogatory terms (though Cleveland with the Chief Wahoo drunk logo...not the best idea). You can't say the same thing about Redskins.

Time to change the name...you don't see teams with the name niggers, kikes, spics, wetbacks, micks, slant eyes, gooks, tar babies, etc. Folks want to whine about the "tradition" of the name Redskins, claim political correctness. Big ****ing deal, get over it. Whining political correctness doesn't give cover for the use of a highly offensive term. Here's an idea...walk up to someone of Indian descent and call them "redskin"...see if you walk away without a fist in your mouth or seeing the horror wash over their face, or the people around them. If it doesn't pass that test...probably shouldn't be your team name.

Add in the checkered past of the team, including being the last to integrate

"We'll start signing Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites."

—
George Preston Marshall
; founder of the Washington Redskins, 1961

Grantland had a nice writeup on this awhile back

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9376010/rename-washington-redskins

I have no issue with a name like Indians, Seminoles, Braves, etc. Those aren't derogatory terms (though Cleveland with the Chief Wahoo drunk logo...not the best idea). You can't say the same thing about Redskins.

You've obviously never played in Bruce's fantasy baseball league

I love the libs.  They always want to change shit that has been in existence for decades.

I can't wait for the Mallard Assoc. to complain about Oregon and the Anaheim team name.

Sorry, this is a foolish argument.  First I am not a lib.  Second, slavery was in existence for over a hundred years, guess we shouldn't have changed that either.  Longevity does not automatically make something right or moral.

Sure I'm biased as a fan but I can honestly say I've never heard the word Redskin used in a demeaning way towards Native Americans.  If it is ultimatley decided that they are going to change their name I would be OK with Braves as it was the franchise's original name.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/