• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Big Money, Long Term Contracts that have worked out:

Arte and company couldn't have any expectation of the Pujols contract being a good deal for the last three to four years.  If he did, then that would make him stupid, and he's not. 

The point of the Pujols contract was to ensure the large TV deal and get solid production for the first several years.  (5-7ish).  What was not expected was that he'd struggle for the first few years of the contract and that has been the major issue. 

The same although to a lesser degree from Wilson and Hamilton.  Reasonable production was expected the first 3-4 years and the fifth becomes and albatross.  One, maybe two Albatross contracts coming off the books each year can be absorped relative to the Angels financial situation. 

In terms of production, I am sure Arte and the FO have a very clear understanding of what they are getting. 

This article was good.  It shows value of big free agent deals in recent history.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/05/07/hamilton-upton-greinke-bourn-free-agent-busts/

Good article. What I found interesting was that on average players did not perform as well after the contract than before regardless of age or position.

In fact, I found this most surprising: "Agewise, the oldest players were better bets than the youngest ones."

The money isn't necessarily the bad thing about a contract, it's for how long.

Overpaying for GMJHGH for say 3 years is a lot more understandable than 5 years.

Same thing with Hamilton, $75 million for 3 years would be a lot more understandable than the current contract.

Of course, the smaller contract offer would likely have not led to signing him.

Long contracts for players already into their 30s just don't work out often enough.

Pujols contrct is ridiculous, but IF it indeed helped to lead to the new tv deal, I can live with it and hope that if he does struggle later on that he does retire after say year 6.