2 hours ago, Rico said:

I only use Reddit to talk about Dragon Ball Z.

that's genuinely surprising to read.

you always struck me as more of a TMNT or power rangers kind of guy.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:39 PM, Jason said:

On 10/1/2019 at 5:17 PM, junkorama said:

It looks like homicide by just about all means was down across the board.

The proliferation of guns in the US doesn't cut down homicide rates.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:21 PM, Jason said:

Of course not and it doesn’t it cause it to increase either 

On 10/2/2019 at 3:31 PM, Jason said:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf

We are down significantly from a peak in 1993. Do you believe there are fewer guns out there now than there was then?

On 10/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, junkorama said:

Wellllll. . .

It's pretty clear to me that you and I are not on the same planet here. I briefly looked at that report and it actually just reinforces my feelings. I know and perfectly understand that two people can look at the same numbers and come to different conclusions. Given the already large number of guns that has been "out there" during the entirety of the timespan of that report, I honestly think that the fact that the number of guns owned is rather irrelevant.

The more relevant statistic is how many people own guns. A person only has so many hands. FWIW, I did a brief search and the percentage of Americans who own guns  remained roughly the same at 43-46% during the same time frame that the report you linked covers. That just means there are more guns in the same hands, relatively speaking.

While crime rates may have come down across the board, the percentage of homicides committed with guns held steady at about  70% with a few deviations (2001 it was at 55%, diluted by the homicide count of 9/11).

The right to bear arms and the 2nd Amendment are held dear by many and are unquestionably very important things to many Americans. The idea that the proliferation of firearms that exists as a result of it produces a greater number of homicides than would otherwise exist is equally unquestionable. Well, it is to me, at least.

crickets__50793.1495635447.1280.1280__79417.1495802193.1280.1280__82800.1495802654.jpg

I don’t know what else you want me to say. Homicides rates are down and gun owner ship is higher (or just more guns). I’ve said my view that limiting the number of firearms isn’t what’s necessary to keep the numbers trending downwards. I think other factors like targeting gang and drug violence probably has more to do with lowering those numbers. As far as number of gun an individual owns that’s probably an accurate stat. I know i own more than I did in 1993. FWIW I fully support keeping certain people from having firearms but the anti-gun crowd is using nothing more than fear mongering to back their claims. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

We need less people. 

So then we are for more felons owning guns? I mean Chicago is doing it's part to help with the pop control 

A Florida man said two armed men invaded his home and were beating him when his wife, eight months pregnant, saved the day by shooting one of the intruders with a semiautomatic rifle, CNN affiliate Bay News 9 reported.

Investigators found the suspect "dead at the scene," the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said in a release Wednesday.
"Them guys came in with two normal pistols and my AR stopped it," Jeremy King told Bay News 9. "(My wife) evened the playing field and kept them from killing me."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/04/us/florida-home-invasion-pregnant-woman-ar-15/index.html

Take away from this story is, don't mess with pregnant women that have a loaded AR15.

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

"Them guys came in with two normal pistols and my AR stopped it," Jeremy King told Bay News 9. "(My wife) evened the playing field and kept them from killing me."

source.gif

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

A Florida man said two armed men invaded his home and were beating him when his wife, eight months pregnant, saved the day by shooting one of the intruders with a semiautomatic rifle, CNN affiliate Bay News 9 reported.

Investigators found the suspect "dead at the scene," the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said in a release Wednesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/04/us/florida-home-invasion-pregnant-woman-ar-15/index.html

Take away from this story is, don't mess with pregnant women that have a loaded AR15.

Something about one good guy/girl with a gun.

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

Also sounds like a deeply fuc*ked up medical condition. 

Going by statistics, about 75% of the dudes on AW likely suffer from this condition.