• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Some of you might laugh, but /r/AskTrumpSupporters is actually an insightful subreddit, some interesting discussions there all the time. Bit of a weird format though.

It is fascinating. I've seen several Trump supporters realize that what they're arguing is illogical, and then immediately shift to, "Well, it doesn't matter anyway" or something similar.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf

We are down significantly from a peak in 1993. Do you believe there are fewer guns out there now than there was then?

Wellllll. . .

It's pretty clear to me that you and I are not on the same planet here. I briefly looked at that report and it actually just reinforces my feelings. I know and perfectly understand that two people can look at the same numbers and come to different conclusions. Given the already large number of guns that has been "out there" during the entirety of the timespan of that report, I honestly think that the fact that the number of guns owned is rather irrelevant.

The more relevant statistic is how many people own guns. A person only has so many hands. FWIW, I did a brief search and the percentage of Americans who own guns  remained roughly the same at 43-46% during the same time frame that the report you linked covers. That just means there are more guns in the same hands, relatively speaking.

While crime rates may have come down across the board, the percentage of homicides committed with guns held steady at about  70% with a few deviations (2001 it was at 55%, diluted by the homicide count of 9/11).

The right to bear arms and the 2nd Amendment are held dear by many and are unquestionably very important things to many Americans. The idea that the proliferation of firearms that exists as a result of it produces a greater number of homicides than would otherwise exist is equally unquestionable. Well, it is to me, at least.

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

It is fascinating. I've seen several Trump supporters realize that what they're arguing is illogical, and then immediately shift to, "Well, it doesn't matter anyway" or something similar.

The structure of Reddit threads just don’t agree with my brain. Can’t really follow them without getting frustrated

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It takes getting used to. I prefer AW's linear style of ordering posts. Reddit shows replies underneath the post they're replying to, rather than keeping all posts on the same level. Reddit also ranks posts based on upvotes, although you can set it so that they're listed chronologically.

like I said . . . 

On 10/1/2019 at 4:39 PM, Jason said:

On 10/1/2019 at 5:17 PM, junkorama said:

It looks like homicide by just about all means was down across the board.

The proliferation of guns in the US doesn't cut down homicide rates.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:21 PM, Jason said:

Of course not and it doesn’t it cause it to increase either 

On 10/2/2019 at 3:31 PM, Jason said:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf

We are down significantly from a peak in 1993. Do you believe there are fewer guns out there now than there was then?

On 10/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, junkorama said:

Wellllll. . .

It's pretty clear to me that you and I are not on the same planet here. I briefly looked at that report and it actually just reinforces my feelings. I know and perfectly understand that two people can look at the same numbers and come to different conclusions. Given the already large number of guns that has been "out there" during the entirety of the timespan of that report, I honestly think that the fact that the number of guns owned is rather irrelevant.

The more relevant statistic is how many people own guns. A person only has so many hands. FWIW, I did a brief search and the percentage of Americans who own guns  remained roughly the same at 43-46% during the same time frame that the report you linked covers. That just means there are more guns in the same hands, relatively speaking.

While crime rates may have come down across the board, the percentage of homicides committed with guns held steady at about  70% with a few deviations (2001 it was at 55%, diluted by the homicide count of 9/11).

The right to bear arms and the 2nd Amendment are held dear by many and are unquestionably very important things to many Americans. The idea that the proliferation of firearms that exists as a result of it produces a greater number of homicides than would otherwise exist is equally unquestionable. Well, it is to me, at least.

crickets__50793.1495635447.1280.1280__79417.1495802193.1280.1280__82800.1495802654.jpg

I don’t know what else you want me to say. Homicides rates are down and gun owner ship is higher (or just more guns). I’ve said my view that limiting the number of firearms isn’t what’s necessary to keep the numbers trending downwards. I think other factors like targeting gang and drug violence probably has more to do with lowering those numbers. As far as number of gun an individual owns that’s probably an accurate stat. I know i own more than I did in 1993. FWIW I fully support keeping certain people from having firearms but the anti-gun crowd is using nothing more than fear mongering to back their claims.