• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia on protesting during the anthem

Chuck

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 12:46 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Every country has a flag. Not every country has freedom. 

I am more interested in the latter than the former.

No one should put their life on the line for a flag. It's a piece of cloth. What's important is freedom. 

You need to educate yourself about our American flag. It's not just a "piece of cloth". It symbolizes the men and women who died for the freedom you're interested in. The flag is about us being free..

Thanks to the many heros who DID give their lives for our great country!

On 9/25/2017 at 5:47 PM, John Taylor said:

I consider myself someone who leans on the "left" side of the political spectrum, and support anyone's right to express their freedom of speech, but with that being said, I find kneeling or not being present during the National Anthem incredibly disrespectful, and I wish they would have found other ways to protest personally.

I remember going to SafeCo field to see the Angels play the Mariners this season, and I was walking around the stadium looking for my seat, passing all the hustle and bustle of Edgar Martinez jersey retirement night, and I remember the second the National Anthem started, everything went still and quiet, all hats were off, hands over hearts, even in "liberal" Seattle. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

I don't care about how or why the National Anthem started being played before sporting events, what I do care about is the fact that I feel it shows a certain respect for our Country, and those who have given their lives for it. This is my personal belief on the issue, and is not meant to win any kind of argument with someone who might disagree with me, as I would gladly give my life to protect their right to disagree with my opinions.

^^^

10 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

You need to educate yourself about our American flag. It's not just a "piece of cloth". It symbolizes the men and women who died for the freedom you're interested in. The flag is about us being free..

Thanks to the many heros who DID give their lives for our great country!

I realize it's a symbol. And as I said in a subsequent post, the symbol isn't as important as what it symbolizes. No symbol is. Ever.

Let's say on one side of you a police officer is beating up an innocent person (regardless of his race) and on another side someone is burning a flag. 

You have the power to stop one of the acts. Which do you chose?

Obviously it's an extreme example that would never happen, but it illustrates what, in my opinion, is a clear point: freedom is more important than a symbol of freedom. 

Finally, none of these people were protesting the flag or the anthem. They were making a statement about our country. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

It isn't about whether or not they know, it is about keeping it in the forefront of people's minds, so that they make the decision to act.  

So they protest during a football game I'm trying to watch and I'm supposed to "make a decision to act". How?

How are we supposed to act?

Hey stradling, what are you going to do?

AA's have the same rights as everybody and they don't have a monopoly on growing up with obstacles.

2 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

So they protest during a football game I'm trying to watch and I'm supposed to "make a decision to act". How?

How are we supposed to act?

Hey stradling, what are you going to do?

AA's have the same rights as everybody and they don't have a monopoly on growing up with obstacles.

I'll probably do nothing other than continue to give to the charities I find important.  

Granted im not bothered by this stuff being on tv, I truly couldn't care less.  I am wired in a way to wonder how this bothers other people.  If it affects you so much then you have a choice to make.  You can choose to not support the NFL, you could turn the game on a few minutes later, you could tweet the president and tell him he's the reason this is getting all the pun because he's a petulant little child.  Or you can be a little more understanding that some people are treated worse than others.  

g

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'll probably do nothing other than continue to give to the charities I find important.  

Granted im not bothered by this stuff being on tv, I truly couldn't care less.  I am wired in a way to wonder how this bothers other people.  If it affects you so much then you have a choice to make.  You can choose to not support the NFL, you could turn the game on a few minutes later, you could tweet the president and tell him he's the reason this is getting all the pun because he's a petulant little child.  Or you can be a little more understanding that some people are treated worse than others.  

I am wired in a way that wonders how people are not sick of watching other people kneel during our national anthem.

I am choosing to not support the NFL and the players who ruined my experience.

And I don't get the concept  of people "being treated worse than others". How so?

Trump didn't start this kneeling crap, but hopefully he'll end it. And the standing and linking arms is just stupid.

12 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

g

I am wired in a way that wonders how people are not sick of watching other people kneel during our national anthem.

I am choosing to not support the NFL and the players who ruined my experience.

And I don't get the concept  of people "being treated worse than others". How so?

Trump didn't start this kneeling crap, but hopefully he'll end it. And the standing and linking arms is just stupid.

It isn't nearly as stupid as our president calling NFL players sons of bitches.  What a complete fucking jackass.  Go do something useful instead of trolling twitter with your stupid bullshit.  

If you think each race is treated equal in this country then you are delusional, and this is coming from someone that preaches personal accountability above all else. I believe "Driving while Black" is a real thing. 

54 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'll also say this...

I respect the way the Dallas Cowboys approached this on MNF. 

Well done, Jerry Jones. 

That was actually the most disingenuous display put on by any team. 

https://deadspin.com/this-is-all-bullshit-1818779588

Seriously, just look at Jerry Jones' smug, self-satisfied face. What an ass

44 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I realize it's a symbol. And as I said in a subsequent post, the symbol isn't as important as what it symbolizes. No symbol is. Ever.

Let's say on one side of you a police officer is beating up an innocent person (regardless of his race) and on another side someone is burning a flag. 

You have the power to stop one of the acts. Which do you chose?

Obviously it's an extreme example that would never happen, but it illustrates what, in my opinion, is a clear point: freedom is more important than a symbol of freedom. 

Finally, none of these people were protesting the flag or the anthem. They were making a statement about our country. 

These are football players "making a statement about our country". Like how much they don't like it? Go elsewhere to protest.

I've never in person seen cops beating up an innocent person. If I did I'd make a call. And then I'd try to save our flag that's being burned

by the guy that's being beat up.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It isn't nearly as stupid as our president calling NFL players sons of bitches.  What a complete fucking jackass.  Go do something useful instead of trolling twitter with your stupid bullshit.  

If you think each race is treated equal in this country then you are delusional, and this is coming from someone that preaches personal accountability above all else. I believe "Driving while Black" is a real thing. 

Yeah, I'm sure you're just so offended at the sob term, while using the f..ing jackass term!

"driving while blonde" is also the real thing. And my cop was a woman.

20 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

OK. Please tell me where BLACK PEOPLE as a segment of a society have it better than in the U.S

Don't give up

Well, as a poor 3/4 white kid I was denied my career of choice because the state had been sued and would only hire "minorities". The black girl I grew up with and dated for a while got far more scholarships even though her family made MORE and her grades were worse.  Do we want to talk about the workplace?

How about in relationships?  A white woman dating a black man is more than 10 times (!) more likely to be killed by him than she would a white boyfriend.  FBI stats. Look it up.

As far as racism, the worst I've ever seen by far was when I dated said black friend.  Her friends openly hated me and she had to break  it off.

The only people oppressing black are other blacks, by abandoning their children and worshipping a violent thug culture that values stupid machismo over being a sound reliable husband and father.

31 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

Yeah, I'm sure you're just so offended at the sob term, while using the f..ing jackass term!

"driving while blonde" is also the real thing. And my cop was a woman.

I'm not offended, it has nothing to do with being offended.  It has to do with the dude being a complete jackass.  I have never felt more embarrassed for our country than I do with  him as president.  I have voted Republican in every election since I turned 18.  This past year I did not vote.