• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia on protesting during the anthem

Chuck

Because Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the national anthem (which he had already been doing for a while before it was pointed out), this is being openly discussed and IMO most people understand what it is about, whether or not they agree with what is being done. This would probably not have happened had Kaepernick not done what he did. 

25 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree, but this protest divides people and politicizes sports, it is not going to help IMO. This only cause further issues. 

Come up with an action plan that will actually help this issue, rather than draw attention to themselves. 

I'm waiting for one person to show me how these NFL players' protesting the anthem is helping their cause. It's bringing negative awareness, not positive. See my idea above and let me know what you think @Mark68

Per what Mark mentioned:

I do see it more as Trump dividing people through his speeches.    That really isn't presidential.    A president is supposed to bring a country together, and not divide it.

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

In a vacuum what you are suggesting is wonderful - but part of the appeal in this statement for an athlete is the visibility of it. If the grassroots approached for everything, everyone would do it. Look at the results they're getting - it's all over the news, social media, it's even garnered a thread on a team's message board in a sport that is barely showing any affects of it. On the 'other side' you have a president literally doing nothing more than stirring up the pot by responding in such an unconventional and unnecessary manner so it just snowballs the whole thing. Couple that with a frustrated populace looking for a reason to complain about anything and media more willing to feed that beast instead of focusing on integrity and the whole thing just goes to shit for no real reason other than sake of making it a debacle no one can turn away from.

re: my idea, I understand the visibility of it, but with social media these days and the media in general, you'd think this type of effort wouldn't go unnoticed. 

One thing is for certain, the NFL who has seen its ratings decline in recent years is due for a serious drop in viewership after this past weekend IMO. 

Hate to say it, but it's middle class to rich white folk who are buying tickets to these football games. You take them out of the equation, plus a good chunk of America turning their TV's off on Sunday and the NFL has a problem. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

One thing is for certain, the NFL who has seen its ratings decline in recent years is due for a serious drop in viewership after this past weekend IMO. 

Hate to say it, but it's rich white folk who are buying tickets to these football games. You take them out of the equation, plus a good chunk of America turning their TV's off on Sunday and the NFL has a problem. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfl-protests-may-be-unpopular-now-but-that-doesnt-mean-theyll-end-that-way/?ex_cid=538twitter

Maybe, but probably not.

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

re: my idea, I understand the visibility of it, but with social media these days and the media in general, you'd think this type of effort wouldn't go unnoticed. 

It's not a bad idea, it's definitely not the wrong idea, but neither is kneeling to raise awareness. It's making people talk about it. They just need to act on it instead of just sitting behind the screens and saying "This is WRONG and DISRESPECTFUL" and also just posting memes supporting about what is right and appropriate about it. 

Until people as a whole actually start trying to do something to resolve these problems, they're going to exist. 

Dismissing their actions on Twitter or posting memes doesn't do a damn thing to fix this. It just furthers the "us vs. them" narrative.

Communication skills and empathy are failing so hard world-wide these days and that's the root of almost all these problems. Humans need to find again their skill at understanding and compromising with each other instead of making everything about themselves.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It's not a bad idea, it's definitely not the wrong idea, but neither is kneeling to raise awareness. It's making people talk about it. They just need to act on it instead of just sitting behind the screens and saying "This is WRONG and DISRESPECTFUL" and also just posting memes supporting about what is right and appropriate about it. 

Until people as a whole actually start trying to do something to resolve these problems, they're going to exist. 

Dismissing their actions on Twitter or posting memes doesn't do a damn thing to fix this. It just furthers the "us vs. them" narrative.

Communication skills and empathy are failing so hard world-wide these days and that's the root of almost all these problems. Humans need to find again their skill at understanding and compromising with each other instead of making everything about themselves.

I appreciate your style of discussing this topic, @totdprods. So many angry people out there that cannot seem to have a real mature discussion on this topic. 

1 minute ago, Mark68 said:

I honestly hope some people do boycott the NFL (as is their right).

It'll make tickets a little easier to come by.

True! But these players protesting end up getting less $$$ in the way of guaranteed contracts too. 

They might want to think twice about what they're doing. ;)

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I will say this, Pres. Trump should have kept his mouth shut on this topic. 

His tweets and words are causing division among the American people and have introduced this politics into sports which I'm against. 

I just ran across this 1984 letter from John Bassett, then the owner of the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League, to Donald Trump, then the owner of the New Jersey Generals in the same league. It's amazing how some things never change.

22007385_10212693917176805_5172261479427202369_n.jpg?oh=4eede6a67938828f068fb396084b65e1&oe=5A478147

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I appreciate your style of discussing this topic, @totdprods. So many angry people out there that cannot seem to have a real mature discussion on this topic. 

Thanks Chuck - I also appreciate the openness and discussion you're reciprocating. That's really the only way it should be.

People default to anger or outrage or tunnel-vision way, way too often in this world. And people think the only way out is if they change someone else's mind. The answer almost always lies somewhere in between, and for some reason we've seemed to forget that's an option.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thanks Chuck - I also appreciate the openness and discussion you're reciprocating. That's really the only way it should be.

People default to anger or outrage or tunnel-vision way, way too often in this world. And people think the only way out is if they change someone else's mind. The answer almost always lies somewhere in between, and for some reason we've seemed to forget that's an option.

sports madden this giferator GIF

28 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

In my opinion, Kaerpernick being blackballed is akin to the blackballing of suspected Communists during the McCarthy era. You can't honestly say that every starting and backup QB in the NFL is better than a guy who took his team to a Super Bowl just a few years ago.

Is it worth having a media circus around just to improve your back up quarterback?

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

True! But these players protesting end up getting less $$$ in the way of guaranteed contracts too. 

They might want to think twice about what they're doing. ;)

Probably not. It'll mean more fans will be able to buy tickets. Maybe a little bit less of an income stream due to (potential) loss of season ticket revenue, but I believe the overall financial impact from this in particular will be minimal.

The NFL has been losing some of its fanbase in general because it became the No Fun League. Goodell's finally reversing some of those changes, but even yesterday, Von Miller got called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for faking an offer to pick Tyrod Taylor off the ground after hitting him. It's that kind of BS that is causing fans to find other forms of entertainment.

1 minute ago, Mark68 said:

Probably not. It'll mean more fans will be able to buy tickets. Maybe a little bit less of an income stream due to (potential) loss of season ticket revenue, but I believe the overall financial impact from this in particular will be minimal.

The NFL has been losing some of its fanbase in general because it became the No Fun League. Goodell's finally reversing some of those changes, but even yesterday, Von Miller got called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for faking an offer to pick Tyrod Taylor off the ground after hitting him. It's that kind of BS that is causing fans to find other forms of entertainment.

Wow, I missed that. What a joke of a penalty.