• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia on protesting during the anthem

Chuck

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Wow, I missed that. What a joke of a penalty. 

I was watching the game and I missed it. I only saw it when they showed the replay and the announcers were all amazed at how bad a call it was. It was a third down play on the Bills' last touchdown drive, and they would have had to punt if not for the auto first down.

Look for the video, I'm sure it won't be hard to find. Both Miller and Taylor were laughing at the time.

5 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I was watching the game and I missed it. I only saw it when they showed the replay and the announcers were all amazed at how bad a call it was. It was a third down play on the Bills' last touchdown drive, and they would have had to punt if not for the auto first down.

Look for the video, I'm sure it won't be hard to find. Both Miller and Taylor were laughing at the time.

This deserves the "Woah, Keanu Reeves" emoticon. 

What needs to happen is that these athletes need to combine with the cops/community and work hard to educate people.  Athletes and cops have got to come together for things to change.  Kneeling during the anthem only incites anger and is a distasteful way to make their objective known. 

We don't have to agree with the what, why or how a person chooses to protest something.  We just have to recognize that we live in a country that allows that person to do so.

Would I choose to protest the way they are doing?  No.  Do I support their right to do it?  Yes.

2 hours ago, Mark68 said:

In my opinion, Kaerpernick being blackballed is akin to the blackballing of suspected Communists during the McCarthy era. You can't honestly say that every starting and backup QB in the NFL is better than a guy who took his team to a Super Bowl just a few years ago.

Owners have the right to sign whoever they want

If you don't want the negative publicity and baggage a player comes with, you do not have to sign him, and you are not a racist because of that.

Kaepernick should have known this is a business and consequences like his money are at stake.

He has the right to protest but the owners have the right to not give him a job. 

The only players that can protest without having to worry about losing their jobs are the true superstars in the league, which Kaepernick is not. Kaepernick is a mediocre player who every team can survive without. Put that on top of the baggage he comes with and I don't really blame teams for not wanting him

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Broken link. Edit: worked the second time.

No, I have no problem with it. Rick Monday is not a government official.

2 hours ago, Mark68 said:

In my opinion, Kaerpernick being blackballed is akin to the blackballing of suspected Communists during the McCarthy era. You can't honestly say that every starting and backup QB in the NFL is better than a guy who took his team to a Super Bowl just a few years ago.

That was before opposing teams figured him out and he failed to adjust. Now he's just a lousy quarterback with a political ax to grind. Teams (rightly) don't want all the baggage he brings. They're in the business of winning football games, not putting on a political demonstration every Sunday.

Edited by fan_since79

49 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

What needs to happen is that these athletes need to combine with the cops/community and work hard to educate people.  Athletes and cops have got to come together for things to change.  Kneeling during the anthem only incites anger and is a distasteful way to make their objective known. 

No, it doesn't. 

It incites anger in some people, and it brings hope to others. Others still have zero feeling whatsoever. All reactions are appropriate and entitled to that opinion. 

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

No, it doesn't. 

It incites anger in some people, and it brings hope to others. Others still have zero feeling whatsoever. All reactions are appropriate and entitled to that opinion. 

Yes, but my main point is that people have to come together in order for change to happen.  Kneeling tends to be more divisive than healing, and we need healing. 

10 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

That was before opposing teams figured him out and he failed to adjust. Now he's just a lousy quarterback with a political ax to grind. Teams (rightly) don't want all the baggage he brings. They're in the business of winning football games, not putting on a political demonstration every Sunday.

This comment says more about you than it does about Kaepernick.

5 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

Yes, but my main point is that people have to come together in order for change to happen.  Kneeling tends to be more divisive than healing, and we need healing. 

Calling players SOBs for kneeling during the anthem tends to be more divisive than healing. Guaranteed it was more divisive than Kaepernick's kneeling.

8 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

Not kneeling hasn't done anything at this point either. 

It's divisive, yes. A little dramatic? Perhaps. Disrespectful to some? Absolutely. It's intended to draw a reaction, positive or negative, but that's as far as it's intended to go. 

It's supposed to bring attention and cause others to think about what that action is bringing awareness to and how to solve it. It's not meant to be a resolution. It's not meant to be the end of the conversation. It's meant to be the beginning of one. It's an icebreaker. It's up to those witnessing to decide if they want to continue that conversation and be a part of a resolution, or if they want to dismiss it and tap out being a part of the process that works to find an answer. And that goes both ways - dismissing it as disrespect or blindly supporting it without furthering the conversation are both responses that do nothing to find a solution.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not kneeling hasn't done anything at this point either. 

It's divisive, yes. A little dramatic? Perhaps. Disrespectful to some? Absolutely. It's intended to draw a reaction, positive or negative, but that's as far as it's intended to go. 

It's supposed to bring attention and cause others to think about what that action is bringing awareness to and how to solve it. It's not meant to be a resolution. It's not meant to be the end of the conversation. It's meant to be the beginning of one. It's an icebreaker. It's up to those witnessing to decide if they want to continue that conversation and be a part of a resolution, or if they want to dismiss it and tap out of finding an answer. And that goes both ways - dismissing it as disrespect or blindly supporting it without furthering the conversation are both responses that do nothing to find a solution.

Totally agree.  It's gone on over a year now, and it's time to figure out step 2, which in my opinion goes to what I originally said...athletes and cops and let's include politicians (gulp), into the mix of coming together to educate people on different cultures, the struggles people face, etc.  There has to be a peaceful step 2, and the angrier people get on both sides, that won't happen. 

5 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

Totally agree.  It's gone on over a year now, and it's time to figure out step 2, which in my opinion goes to what I originally said...athletes and cops and let's include politicians (gulp), into the mix of coming together to educate people on different cultures, the struggles people face, etc.  There has to be a peaceful step 2, and the angrier people get on both sides, that won't happen. 

The next step is for the thin blue line to become a stigma instead of a badge of honor. Acknowledgment and accountability.