• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

Went hiking up Secret Pass canyon in Golden Valley, AZ this morning. Around 7+ miles. Have to hike early here because of the heat. 

Some really nice rock formations with lots of colors. 

The wild burro was braying at us. 

The one view is Bullhead City and the Colorado River  

Lake Mohave is the other water. 

20200704_091058.jpg

20200704_073836.jpg

20200704_083819.jpg

20200704_071908.jpg

20200704_065527.jpg

20200704_065153.jpg

20200704_063939.jpg

20200704_054649.jpg

20200704_063752.jpg

20200704_065318.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a solo hike up San Gabriel Peak tonight.  Going up in the daylight, going down in the dark.  Third highlight, going down.  2 douches hiking up.  They literally hiked 10 feet up the slope off the trail to avoid me with masks on.  I asked them going up to the peak, they said yes.  Going to see Neo?  They said don't know who that is.  I said to go see the comet.  They said yes.  I told them it already went down.  

So here are the best pics I took.  And it was hard to see, even at 5500 feet up with minimal lights in front of me.  So good luck if you are trying to see it in the city.

20200716_214708.jpg

Mt. Wilson Observatory below.  Jupiter and Saturn are the bright lights above.

20200716_211031.jpg

Neo just after sunset.

20200716_214339.jpg

Big Dipper with Neo underneath it.  

36 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Do you feel safe hiking at night? 

Not worried about twisting an ankle or going off trail?

Trail is pretty well defined, so no real threat in going off trail.  The big risk is twisting an ankle.  But if you don't hurry, it's usually not a problem.  I'm a clutz so that's why I carry two lights.  The handheld is pretty much to light up my feet area and the headlamp where my head is pointed.  

1 hour ago, Slegnaac said:

Had to use binoculars to even glimpse it from Palos Verdes last night.

Yeah, I could faintly see it with the naked eye.  Binoculars definitely helped.  

Definitely city lights will kill any view of it.  As you can see, where I was, there was only the one light from the communications tower, or else it was pitch dark.  

This is what it looked like 90 degrees to my left.

If the sky's are clear, I'm probably going to head back up there, this time lugging a tripod, on the 22nd.

20200716_220150.jpg

6 hours ago, Redondo said:

@gotbeer

How long was the hike up there?

What's the elevation?

It's not that bad of a hike.   It's about 45 minutes.  But a pretty steep incline most of the way.  Elevation is about 6100 feet, which is higher than Mt. Wilson.  Great thing about this peak is you have a fairly unobstructed 360 view.  So for the Comet, which is to the NW, it was a great peak to view it on.  Only the higher peaks will give you a view in that direction in So Cal. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 12:23 AM, gotbeer said:

So I did a solo hike up San Gabriel Peak tonight.  Going up in the daylight, going down in the dark.  Third highlight, going down.  2 douches hiking up.  They literally hiked 10 feet up the slope off the trail to avoid me with masks on.  I asked them going up to the peak, they said yes.  Going to see Neo?  They said don't know who that is.  I said to go see the comet.  They said yes.  I told them it already went down.  

So here are the best pics I took.  And it was hard to see, even at 5500 feet up with minimal lights in front of me.  So good luck if you are trying to see it in the city.

20200716_214708.jpg

Mt. Wilson Observatory below.  Jupiter and Saturn are the bright lights above.

20200716_211031.jpg

Neo just after sunset.

20200716_214339.jpg

Big Dipper with Neo underneath it.  

Dangit! I tried to get pics of that thing but struck out badly