• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

This is going to be a rambling expletive tirade of venting, so I apologize in advance.

Mother fucker.  God damn fucking retards.

So I go to the East Fork today for my usual off strenuous hike.  Search and rescue are there looking for someone.  Ok, so I'm familiar with the fork, so I take a flyer in case.  Damn, she looks familiar.  Then I see the name.

Fucking it is the person I hiked with up to Cucamonga Peak in January, and who was supposed to hike with me up Ontario Peak last week, before she had to cancel last minute.  

So apparently, she went up Iron Mountain with a group of 6 douche bags that deserve to get Cancer and die a horrible fucking death.  Iron Mountain is no joke of a climb, and she's not the fastest hiker.  But she went up with 6 other people.   Well, the last time anyone saw her was when these douche bags, who hopefully get cancer and commit suicide, were on their way down passing her.  

She's been up there for 7 days now, so we know how this is going to end.  But fuck.  Who the fuck leaves a groupmember on the fucking mountain.  Fucking entitled people who only think about themselves, and need to hurry up and get to their sorry pathetic fucking lives.

Fuck, these fuckers better not be on the mountain with me.  If I find them, search and rescue will need to look in some holes for these fuckers.  

• 2 weeks later...

Day 2 photos.  This was the brutal day.  Lot's of up and down.  The last steep incline pretty much shredded all our feet.  Straight 1000 foot climb to a straight 1000 foot descent.  The airport was pretty cool.  Just up there in the middle of nowhere, yet a steady inflow of people all the time.  This is pretty much where the hikers, bikers, and tourist all converged.  The first day, you really didn't see much of the ocean.   You get a good dose of it from this point on.  

20210228_080155.jpg

20210228_085718.jpg

20210228_093110.jpg

20210228_111516.jpg

20210228_120323.jpg

20210228_122558.jpg

20210228_125851.jpg

20210228_125858.jpg

20210228_130545.jpg

20210228_140028.jpg

20210228_141247.jpg

20210228_141304.jpg

20210228_141308.jpg

20210228_144249.jpg

20210228_145805.jpg

20210228_151129.jpg

20210228_155443.jpg

20210228_155925.jpg

20210228_161518.jpg

20210228_161524.jpg

20210228_165747.jpg

20210228_170241.jpg

20210228_171553.jpg

37 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Yes, I did have some bison burgers at the airport.  They were delicious.  

Did you take the beast down with a cross bow or did you go mano a mano with nothing but a k-bar?

Edited by True Grich

So I'll have a video up, once I get the courage to walk to my car, and get my backpack out of it.  Yeah, my feet hurt that much.

Just some thoughts on the hike. 

A.  People are nuts if they do it during tourist season, AKA the summer.  It was in the 60's for our hike.  Pretty much did it in short sleeve shirts.  It was pretty hot/warm for in the 60's.  There is little shade, and I was still going through about a liter of water between stops.  

B.  The campgrounds are nice in that they have water and bathrooms.  Some with cold showers.  Last campground was remote and had no running water, but you could buy a bundle of firewood and they supplied you a 2.5 gallons of drinking water.  

C.  Those bison can pick up speed quick.  At first camp, that Bison was in our camp.  Someone got too chicken and ran for the bathroom.  He did not like that at all and charged after him.  My buddy took a partial video of it, so hopefully will be able to get that footage.

D.  If I had to do it again, probably would have made it a weeklong trip.  We really crammed it in, and we still might have suffered.  But it just seemed like we did overdid it.  

E.  All notions of me even attempting the Pacific Coast Trail or the High to Low (Death Valley to Mt. Whitney) are gone.  This hike was tough.  Glad I did it.  But it was tough.

F.  Our beaches are junk.  You know when you go to Huntington or Santa Monica, and you get that sea smell.  You think that's normal sea smell, but it's not.  It's just smelling bacteria and poop and trash and homeless.  On Catalina, their waters are blue.  They don't have foam.  And you don't smell a thing from the ocean.  You go into the waters, and it's pretty refreshing.  You don't feel a need to wash the salt off like at the So Cal beaches.  So that tells you what kind of crap is in our beach water.

Some trivia about Catalina Island.  It's about a 28 year wait to get a permit for a full sized car/suv on the island.  One of the most popular cars are those old Suzuki Samurai 4x4 from back in the 80's.  I asked one of the locals why that was.  They said, if you chop off a foot off the back, it's considered a golf cart.  And those permits are easier to get.  I also asked why there weren't any Teslas or electric cars on the island.  BTW, gas is cheap on the island right now.  It's only $6.50 a gallon, it's usually in the $8 range.  So sounds like electric, and solar would be ideal.  Their answer to that was, Tesla's are so heavy, and it's so hilly on Catalina that their batteries and brakes go down faster than Victors Mom with the Navy in town.  

The furthest I've every hiked on Catalina was from the East side of the Isthmus to the the West side. But I've looped the island several times by sailboat, even dropped anchor in shark's cove to spearfish and harvest abalone. 

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The furthest I've every hiked on Catalina was from the East side of the Isthmus to the the West side. But I've looped the island several times by sailboat, even dropped anchor in shark's cove to spearfish and harvest abalone. 

That water looks so fun to kayak in.  I'm wondering if an inflatable kayak would be safe on those waters?  Regular kayak is so expensive to rent if you want to do it multiple days.  

• 2 weeks later...