• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Equifax

red321

They are going to face so many lawsuits, they will be under bankruptcy protection pretty quick.  This one seems to have really touched a nerve by almost everyone.  By one article I read, it sounds like there was a slight uptick in fraudulent charges after the breach.  By how the article was saying, it was a testing phase to verify the information that was stolen was legit.  Kind of a test drive before the data gets sold.  Once it goes full bore it's going to get a lot worse for the company.  And their handling so far of it has been Unitedesque. 

On a side note, I was part of the Tmobile-Experian hack almost 2 years ago.  How do I know it's 2 years?  I just got a your subscription to the fraud monitoring is about to expire from Experian.  And that was 15 million people. 

there's an attorney (i know, "only one") who's putting together a class action suit against equifax over this. said he finds it unconscionable that this happened in july but we're only finding out about it now. 

for an attorney to find anything unconscionable is, well, surprising.

*apologies to phil and sort of to cals

Equifax is offering free membership in "TrustedID Premier" identity theft protection and credit monitoring service.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/enroll/

When I started the enrollment process I found out that I was indeed probably affected by their screw-up, but I was too depressed to continue the process. And how can I even trust them at this point to protect me?

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Equifax is offering free membership in "TrustedID Premier" identity theft protection and credit monitoring service.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/enroll/

When I started the enrollment process I found out that I was indeed probably affected by their screw-up, but I was too depressed to continue the process. And how can I even trust them at this point to protect me?

Don't worry.  In a year when this will really start to affect people, you will get to pay for the priviledge of them screwing you over.

11 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

There was an 'expert' on the radio who said we all need to be "hypervigilant" with our credit reports, accounts, etc.

Like, checking our balances almost every day, that kind of hypervigilant. Who has time for that?!

You have almost 20,000 posts on this board. I think you have time to check your accounts and protect yourself. Just a hunch.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-real-problem-with-equifax

A take on equifax with some interesting points.

1) Equifax profits off a collective us...we are their product...in essence they've profitized us by selling data about us to others

2) Their customers are really other corporations, except in cases where they've come up with products to help us pay for the ability to manage/maintain protections against mistakes they and their customers make. Kind of ingenious when you think about it. I'm going to offer you the privilege to pay me to make sure the data I'm collecting and selling about you (without your express written consent) to others is correct

3) When a fuckup like this happens...the cost to them is a pittance when compared to the collective cost to the individuals impacted. What are we going to do...stop buying from them? We don't. And really, do their customers, the consumers of these credit reports give a shit...not really. Are you going to stop shopping for a car because they pull an equifax credit report...well, I guess you might if you find out you've had your identity hacked and your credit is shot and now have to pay an outrageous interest percentage to get loan

Really, about the only recourse the impacted (us) have is to sue them...and even that they try and minimize via congress

Shady business...I should have thought of it

On 9/15/2017 at 5:22 PM, fan_since79 said:

There was an 'expert' on the radio who said we all need to be "hypervigilant" with our credit reports, accounts, etc.

Like, checking our balances almost every day, that kind of hypervigilant. Who has time for that?!

The credit reporting agencies.  That's why they can't be bothered with things like security patches, they are busy man. 

On 9/17/2017 at 10:04 AM, gotbeer said:

The credit reporting agencies.  That's why they can't be bothered with things like security patches, they are busy man. 

On 9/16/2017 at 1:59 PM, red321 said:

3) When a fuckup like this happens...the cost to them is a pittance when compared to the collective cost to the individuals impacted. What are we going to do...stop buying from them?

As long as the financial punishment is less than the perceived cost of securing the data on their network this will continue to be the case.