• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Online Backup

red321

anyone familiar with Carbonite?

I've been using CrashPlan for home, they are getting out of that business. Kind of pisses me off...took forever to get my backup up their in the first place. I can migrate to Crashplan for Small business (and not lose most of my backup) for around the same price...or I can transition to Carbonite (and have to recreate my backup from scratch...aka...it's going to take months).

If CrashPlan is cutting services for home users...a bit concerned about what it means for their long term health. So...that's what has me pondering moving to Carbonite.

Anyone have experience with them?

On 8/28/2017 at 8:49 PM, Thomas said:

That's peachy.
I'll probably go with Backblaze

I'll look into backblaze...though the idea of seeding my initial backup again (months...and months...and months) doesn't sound all that appealing. Also, not sure I like the idea that they only retain a 30 day history.

Might just migrate to crashplan small business and pay the extra $70 a year.

1 minute ago, red321 said:

I'll look into backblaze...though the idea of seeding my initial backup again (months...and months...and months) doesn't sound all that appealing. Also, not sure I like the idea that they only retain a 30 day history.

Might just migrate to crashplan small business and pay the extra $70 a year.

Seeing as you ARE a small business that doesn't seem like the worst plan. You'd certainly use more the $70 of your own time redoing it.

5 minutes ago, red321 said:

The downside being it looks like they can only handle a 5tb transition so I have to remove a tb from my current backup...but that's easier than starting over

I know 5TB isn't exactly a trivial amount of data but that still seems odd.

1 hour ago, red321 said:

That was my thought as well. Their statement was the migration tool couldn't support more than 5tb, but that seems to be an arbitrary limit if you are just moving bytes around.

Especially since they are probably just migrating it from one EC2 instance to another...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 11:29 AM, nate said:

I gave up on cloud backup and just have my Freenas box with 4 4tb drives running raid 1 + 0.

when you write stuff like this, i appreciate that there are some really smart people who've figured out this kind of stuff even though i don't know dick about what you just wrote.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, red321 said:

It's weird to be getting rid of drives because they are ONLY 750gb and too small to be worth the hassle and allocate USB ports to them

My wife saw something in the local newspaper that at the town festival last week they showed kids what the inside of a hard drive is like and allowed them to take one apart.

I went in the closet and pulled out three different drives ranging from 160-500gb and took them apart with my daughter.

You can get a 4tb drive now for $125 and there are actual 10tb drives now.

45 minutes ago, nate said:

My wife saw something in the local newspaper that at the town festival last week they showed kids what the inside of a hard drive is like and allowed them to take one apart.

I went in the closet and pulled out three different drives ranging from 160-500gb and took them apart with my daughter.

You can get a 4tb drive now for $125 and there are actual 10tb drives now.

Yep...bought a 4tb Western Digital external for $94 the other day to replace the 3 drives I retired...and opened back up some usb slots too boot.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Of course SSDs have to come along and make capacity choices more complicated. No one is going to kick a Samsung 1/2TB out of bed. 

Yeah, although NAND prices have gone up a bit recently.  I have been thinking of picking up a second 500gb and doing raid 0 since it seems everything takes up so much more storage now.  Especially VR games that are all 10+ gb.  Run out of space fast.

Just now, nate said:

Yeah, although NAND prices have gone up a bit recently.  I have been thinking of picking up a second 500gb and doing raid 0 since it seems everything takes up so much more storage now.  Especially VR games that are all 10+ gb.  Run out of space fast.

Yeah, Doom of all things is 70GB. I mean really?