• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels' Mike Scioscia not the problem, but he might pay the price

It would fantastic if the Dodgers bailed us out of the terrible Scioscia contract.

Simers is spot-on calling out Moreno.

While he is correct to assert Dipoto is partially responsible for the bullpen, a lot of the blame should be directed at Reagins for leaving behind an atrocious farm system without nearly any high velo impact arms.

Moreno also should be criticized by not spending $$$ at the Rule 4 draft under the previous CBA and for failing to be aggressive in the Latin prospect market.

Dipoto inherited a mess.

It would fantastic if the Dodgers bailed us out of the terrible Scioscia contract.

Simers is spot-on calling out Moreno.

While he is correct to assert Dipoto is partially responsible for the bullpen, a lot of the blame should be directed at Reagins for leaving behind an atrocious farm system without nearly any high velo impact arms.

Moreno also should be criticized by not spending $$$ at the Rule 4 draft under the previous CBA and for failing to be aggressive in the Latin prospect market.

Dipoto inherited a mess.

and I will laugh my ass off if he wins a WS with the Dogs.......

This isn't Scioscia's fault.  He is likely to take the blame, but this is a bad team.  Bad pitching, bad bull pen and the big contract players are playing like AA bush leaguers!

IMO, MS lost the teams respect last year when he yanked Zack Greinke late in a key game. He went to the mound and decided himself to pull him. He instead should've consulted with ZG and allowed the ace to make the decision. After all MS caught 15 complete games of Oreo Herschisers 35 starts in 88, so he has looked confidence in the eyes many of times. I am sure the Angels organization and players wondered what MS was trying to prove, especially considering ZG was a rental. MS might not be the sole reason the Angels are under performing, but I certainly know he is reason #1 why they don't appear a confident bunch. Perhaps that explains also why players are excelling once they depart.

He got too cute with it IMO. The Blanton signing was probably made because of his good career K/BB ratio and his FIP, etc. Can't think of any other reason why he would be signed after he put up a near 5 ERA in the NL last season

I could understand taking a flyer on Blanton for cheap, not for $15M. If he's putting up lots of games like he did last night, we should be winning those. Problem was going into the winter meetings with three holes in starting rotation. He should have picked up at least one of Santana or Haren, even if he intended to ultimately sell. Also, at the end of the day a surplus of starters is not the worst problem to have considering we lost Weaver to injury so early.

Dipoto was arguing from a position of weakness and got taken advantage of by Blanton's agent and Seattle's GM a bit. Basing 100% of the rotation on exterme flyball pitchers that are only expected to do well in AL West parks also sounds like a sure fire recipe to get into the playoffs and lose the first round even if everything goes right.

What could Dipoto have done that differently that would have resulted in a successful pitching staff?  Greinke was overpaid by the Dogs.  Free agency pitching options were terrible last offseason.  We have a barren farm with zero trade pieces.  Santana was atrocious last year and paying him nearly $15M was a no-go, and Haren looked (and still does look) done.   Of course the Blanton deal was terrible, and nobody really understood it when it happened and it looks even worse now if that was even possible.  But getting Vargas was a good swap, and Hanson was a gamble but we needed something to fill the back of the rotation.

I mean, I'm not absolving the guy of all blame by any means.  He's made some questionable decisions here and there.  But expecting him to create a great bullpen and starting rotation in a year or two with what our pitching situation looked like is fairly ridiculous to be honest.  All I hear from a lot of people here are the usual cliches: "obviously pitching wins games!  Dipoto didn't do enough!  He knew the bullpen was a problem and didn't fix it!" It's one thing to be aware of a problem but another thing entirely to be able to do everything you want to fix it when all you have are mediocre free agents and a terrible farm system.  The only thing that can fix this team is time and solid drafting/coaching.

In the future, can you please include the author's name in the linked article?  I do not read TJ Simers, nor do I want to support him by clicking on links to his articles.

He gets paid whether you click on the link or not, and a sit down with Mike Scioscia right now is a get.   And he got Mike to respond to very blunt questioning (which is no surprise.)   Mike gave great answers.   This isn't a Simers ragging on everyone type of article.   This is Simers asking Mike if he's the right man for the job, and is it fair that people are calling for his head.