• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Hernandez

It's not so bad that he mixed the call in real time. Clearly there was some confusion on the field as it happened. Not even Rosales seemed sure he got it. But hoe do you get three sets of eyes on it to review and still blow it? That's insane.

Does anyone know how the replay process works? What views do they have? Who males the final call? Is it a group decision or does the original, umpire still get to make the call? If it's a group decision does it have to be unanimous or can 2 of the 3 change it?i

The only explanation I can come up with is the umps don't have the same replay that we saw. Maybe they use the Home Team or MLB feed. We saw the A's feed. If they watched the same feed then there is no excuse. This game should be played under protest.

The only explanation I can come up with is the umps don't have the same replay that we saw. Maybe they use the Home Team or MLB feed. We saw the A's feed. If they watched the same feed then there is no excuse. This game should be played under protest.

They apparently have the broadcast feeds just like us.

And even if it was the Cleveland feed, this is a what they had.

clip0573.gif.opt_.gif

And upon seeing that, the Cleveland announcers also thought it was obviously a HR.

And Joe Torre just sent out his statement on the matter:

President for Baseball Operations Joe Torre issued the following statement regarding the instant replay review in the top of the ninth inning of the Oakland Athletics-Cleveland Indians game at Progressive Field:

“By rule, the decision to reverse a call by use of instant replay is at the sole discretion of the crew chief. In the opinion of Angel Hernandez, who was last night’s crew chief, there was not clear and convincing evidence to overturn the decision on the field. It was a judgment call, and as such, it stands as final.

“Home and away broadcast feeds are available for all uses of instant replay, and they were available to the crew last night. Given what we saw, we recognize that an improper call was made. Perfection is an impossible standard in any endeavor, but our goal is always to get the calls right. Earlier this morning, we began the process of speaking with the crew to thoroughly review all the circumstances surrounding last night’s decision.”

Here is what I don't get.  In Hockey, you can hear in a packed house with everyone screaming, when the pick hits the crossbar.  It's a distinct sound.

I would think when a baseball hits a metal railing, it makes a very distinct sound different than if it hit padding.  

As the announcers said, sad.  Very sad that they blew the call that was so obvious.

They apparently have the broadcast feeds just like us.

And even if it was the Cleveland feed, this is a what they had.

clip0573.gif.opt_.gif

And upon seeing that, the Cleveland announcers also thought it was obviously a HR.

The announcers weren't sure until they zoomed in on the replay and looped it a few times.  I'm not sure if umpires have the ability to do that with their replay equipment.

The feed for the umpires is sent to them by a technician in New York. The technician choose which replay angles are the most telling. Hernandez and the crew have to make the determination on what the replay technician gives them as a feed.