• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MWAH Top 30 Prospects

Second Base

Not so much.  Calhoun's pretty short, compact, stocky.  Murph's more lanky than anything.  Calhoun has more opposite field power than Murphy, and Murphy's a bit faster going first to third.  Calhoun's got a bit stronger of an arm too.  I know someone mentioned Brian Giles before, and that's pretty good.  They're built the same and have the same skill set, but Giles hit more HR, but that was just the time.  I mena it was the steroid era and ball parks were built for that sort of thing.  

Angels #3 prospect 1B C.J. Cron - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-angels-prospects-3-cj-cron.html

Garrett and I have some differences of opinion on Cron, but then again, so does everyone.  I think he's a legit middle of the order hitter a la Mark Trumbo.  Others may view him as more of a Russell Branyon type. Curious to see what you guys think on this one. 

Russell Branyan was Brandon Wood before Wood was Wood (what?)

Cron's walk rate is scary bad, but his contact rate for a legit power hitter is scary good.  AA will tell us a lot.  I feel a lot better about him than I do most guys who have such dreadful walk rates. 

I remember a thread on the old board about how Kotchman would be better if he struck out more.  It's not to that level, but it's clear that CJ doesn't have a hard time putting bat to ball but he clearly needs to learn the difference between putting the ball in play, and putting it in play with authority.  The good news is that, at least for now, he's a run producer so even if his free pass rate doesn't improve, he could be very valuable as a guy hitting 5th or 6th with 30hrs and a .275avg. who only strikes out 80 times. 

The real kicker will be at AA and beyond where he will see major league caliber off speed stuff.  Will he still swing?  Will he still make contact?  Will it be put in play with authority?  Or will his propensity to swing more often than not lead to him expanding his zone a ton and performing poorly.  This is the year that tells us if he's for real.  I predict that he starts very slow and finishes gang busters.  Tears up AAA next year for half a season and gets the call mid way thru the year and has a nice career. 

I think the biggest thing I'll look for from Cron in AA this season would be his ability to play up to his competition.  I think the Angels have been rather conservative with him, given his talent, upside and collegiate success.  They coddled him through Rookie Ball and Advanced A Ball even though I believe he could've handled AA.  By comparison, other college talent like Yarbrough and Stamets were moved to A Ball immediately upon signing and rumors persist that both may jump to AA this year. 

I can envision Cron showing improved plate discipline in AA depite facing more difficult competition.  I'm hoping the free-swinging nature is more of a repsonse to environment rather than degradation of discipline or patience.  If anything, you'd think this skill would improve over time.

Top Prospect #2 LHP Nick Maronde - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-angels-prospects-2-nick-maronde.html

The reason I liked the Sean Burnett signing so much is that it gave the Angels and Nick Maronde the chance to allow him to develop.  If his changeup develops, he could be a very good mid-rotation starter.  Even if it never becomes a passable pitch, I still think he can get by as a 4th or 5th starter on two pitches, a la Ervin Santana.  I like that right now, the pessimist says he's a good reliever.  Meaning at worst, we're looking at a good, young controllable lefty reliever to solidify the back end of the bullpen.  At best, we're looking at the type of starter that can help offset some of the rising costs of some of the superstar players and make the Angels rotation more steady, more dependable.  

I think both Maronde and Garrett Richards will be useful starers for the Angels in the coming years and will help bring the cost and expectations of the rotation under control. 

Our top prospect list concludes with top ranked prospect 3B Kaleb Cowart

www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-angels-prospects-1-kaleb-cowart.html

I really liked what I saw from Coart this Spring.  The arm is as real as it ever was, but he seemed even faster, more explosive with his first step.  He's already a "plus" defensive 3B and that alone will earn him a spot in the major leagues eventually.  Something else that I really liked this Spring was his left handed swing, he showed increased ability to make contact, made quick adjustments and shortened the swing.  When I wrote that I thought he'd take some time to develop and put his ETA at mid 2015, I wrote it on the premise that he's a switch hitter and would have to figure out how to hit from both sides of the plate. 

But if he keeps on developing the way he did last season and this offseason and shows more of what I saw this Spring, his ETA couuld be considerably sooner, perhaps to start 2014.  Ultimately, I think it comes down to what Mike Scioscia is comfortable with, and Sosh likes his vets.  Inevitably, even if Cowart did prove ready for next season, I get the feeling Scioscia would still play Callaspo over him.

But I like a future where Cowart is the everyday starting 3B and Luis Jimenez is backing him up and serving as a utility infielder at 1B or even possibly 2B.  Cowart could become a switch-hitting middle of the order compliment to Trout, Hamilton and Pujols.

Thanks for tuning into these everybody.  Garrett and I did our best and love discussing them with fans.  You can read all of the prospect profiles over at monkeywithahalo.com or even follow either of us on twitter @ScottyA_LAAI or @GarrettMWAH