• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MWAH Top 30 Prospects

Second Base

Tune into monkeywithahalo.com for the list of the Top 30.  We'll be posting the remainder here, beginning with #7 3B Luis Jimenez. 

http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-angels-prospects-7-luis-jimenez.html

Jimenez is an interesting case where, no one can seem to agree about who he is.  Has he produced at every level?  Yes.  Has he the defense ability and offensive upside to be a major league 3B?  Yes.  So what's the holdup?  That plate discipline.  Many scouts believe it'll prevent him from becoming a productive major leaguer.  Others think his contact ability will ultimately lead to enough base hits that he'll play up at the major league level.  

What do you think?

I like Jimenez a lot, but, he is a very streaky hitter, which goes along with lack of plate discipline. He can carry a team for a week or so, then disappear for a while. If he can cut that bit down, he would be a Major Leaguer. I think he can have a future at a bench spot, but will need to expand his defensive skill set. He's a good insurance policy on Callaspo in the event something happens, but I still see Cowart as the future at 3B for the Angels.

I can't speak on Jimenez over the last season or so but in the past he seemed to lack focus at times. This would lead to some games where he would make silly defensive errors. The guy can hit and he plays a solid 3B most of the time. I see him as a likely trade piece unless he comes into his own this season. 

I like Jimenez a lot, but, he is a very streaky hitter, which goes along with lack of plate discipline. He can carry a team for a week or so, then disappear for a while. If he can cut that bit down, he would be a Major Leaguer. I think he can have a future at a bench spot, but will need to expand his defensive skill set. He's a good insurance policy on Callaspo in the event something happens, but I still see Cowart as the future at 3B for the Angels.

I think you hit the nail on the head there Dave.  Regardless, I see Jimenez contributing at the major league level, though I'm not entirely convinced it is as a starter.  And if it is as a starting 3B, I don't think it'll be for the Angels.  The strides Cowart has made, his performance so far this Spring, his defensive ability as well as his upside and all-around game make him (in my mind) the Angels 3B of the future.

Angels Top Prospect #6 - OF Randal Grichuk - http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/21780494/trout-aims-to-improve-near-perfect-rookie-year-by-stealing-more-bases-

I've really enjoyed watching his progress as a prospect.  Easy kid to root for, love the way he plays the game.  Strong wrists and a quick bat.  I still don't envision him hitting a ton of HR in the future, but hard line drives and ground balls aplenty.  Granted, it may be hard for Grichuk to break into the Angels OF no matter what he does (Trout, Bourjos, Hamilton, Trumbo, Calhoun, Witherspoon), I'm still very curious to see how Grichuk responds to the advanced level of pitching he'll face in AA. 

Like I tweeted today, the approach from Jimenez thus far this spring is awesome.  I hear he really worked on plate recognition and having a plan at the plate.

Grichuk is a personal favorite of mine.  Plus D, Plus-plus arm, good wheels.  The bat is the mystery, and the only thing that will keep him from being a productive major leaguer.  The potential is there, but he needs to simplify his approach.

It's definitely easy to root for Grichuk. He's a great kid, has a great attitude, works VERY hard, and has all the tools. I think 2013 is a year where he can really open some eyes, I know that the ballpark in Double-A is not an easy place for hitters, but, the coaches and everyone will notice just how good a kid he is. And, I think he can still post solid numbers even  in that league, especially if fans focus on XBH totals, rather than specific things like dingers. He's making the improvements, and hopefully does have a breakout year.

Long-term, I don't think 15-20 HRs in the Majors is out of the question, along with 12-15 SBs.

Like I tweeted today, the approach from Jimenez thus far this spring is awesome.  I hear he really worked on plate recognition and having a plan at the plate.

Grichuk is a personal favorite of mine.  Plus D, Plus-plus arm, good wheels.  The bat is the mystery, and the only thing that will keep him from being a productive major leaguer.  The potential is there, but he needs to simplify his approach.

It's a bit early for that type of talk, but yes, Cowart has looked solid.  Defensively, he's opened some eyes, clearly the best defender in the system at his position.  Offensively, we've seen quite a bit of him hitting from the left side, which is where he needs the most work.  I've been pleased to see his swing from that side is shorter than I remember, and he's caught up with fastballs.  He's also shown the plate discipline wasn't a fluke.  He's pretty good at working the count.  But if Kaleb puts together a solid 2-3 months in AA then I'd agree that perhaps he'll be ready sooner rather than later.  Being as young as he is though, no one should be disappointed if it took him another 2-3 years to be ready.  23-24 years old is still young to make a major league debut.  

Angels Top Prospect #5 OF Kole Calhoun - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-angels-prospects-5-kole-calhoun.html

There's a ton here to like.  It's clear in my mind (and Garrett's as well) that Calhoun is a better ball player at this stage of his career than Vernon Wells.  Yet it seems that Wells will be designated as the Angels 4th OF.  THat has everything to do with Wells' salary and Calhoun's minor league options.  Still, I'm not alone (thank you Chuck and the Angelswin staff) that Calhoun has more potential than simply a 4th OF.  As stated in the article, I truly believe that he could be a .270 hitter that hits 20 HR's and steals 20 bases a year.  That's not an all-star, but that is a good starter on pretty much any team outside of Southern California and Atlanta. 

However, I don't believe Calhoun will ever get that opportunity with the Angels.  What do you guys think?

Angels Top Prospect #5 OF Kole Calhoun - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-angels-prospects-5-kole-calhoun.html

There's a ton here to like.  It's clear in my mind (and Garrett's as well) that Calhoun is a better ball player at this stage of his career than Vernon Wells.  Yet it seems that Wells will be designated as the Angels 4th OF.  THat has everything to do with Wells' salary and Calhoun's minor league options.  Still, I'm not alone (thank you Chuck and the Angelswin staff) that Calhoun has more potential than simply a 4th OF.  As stated in the article, I truly believe that he could be a .270 hitter that hits 20 HR's and steals 20 bases a year.  That's not an all-star, but that is a good starter on pretty much any team outside of Southern California and Atlanta. 

However, I don't believe Calhoun will ever get that opportunity with the Angels.  What do you guys think?

i like calhoun a lot. he has a "grit" factor plus he is a ginger and that should count for something.

You dont think he will hang around with the team until vernon's contract is up? i'd love tokeep him as a 4th outfielder

Long term 4th OF, I'm just not sure to be honest.  It can go so many different directions.  Calhoun profiles as the most "complete" option as a 4th OF.  He's provides a lefty bat off the bench, can pinch run, can play all three outfield spots and can even be somewhat of a power bat as well.  

However, Travis Witherspoon is even better defensively than Calhoun is, he's younger and would be a considerably better pinch running option.  Those are important when calculating the value of a 4th OF that likely won't play in a lot of full games.  Witherspoon could effectively become what Peter Bourjos was last season.

And then there's Grichuk, who is the youngest of them all.  He's not a "Dipoto" player, but he has the most potential.  He can play all three outfield spots, though profiles best in the corner outfield.  He's fast enough to pinch run, and would definitely profile as a power bat off the bench.  

Either one of those three would make a better 4th OF than Vernon Wells (in a year or two).  I think the fact that Calhoun is left handed and can play first base gives him the inherent advantage.  But all a 4th OF really does on a regular basis is pinch run once a game and play an inning or two in the outfield and in that scenario it's clear Witherspoon is the best option.  

So I really don't know.   

Long term 4th OF I'd have to learn towards Calhoun for the simple fact that Grichuk looks like an all or nothing guy to me.  They both have the + defense, they both have + arms.  Grichuk is edged by Calhoun in the speed category but not by much.  It all comes down to the bat.

If nothing else (and I think we all agree there will be something else) Calhoun has the 70 plate discipline.  Grichuk has not shown anything in this category which leaves him dependent on his bat becoming excellent which is entirely possible.  Also a factor is Calhoun being a LH hitter.  This sets him up have the potential to be a platoon guy if all else fails.

So basically, Grichuk looks to me at least to be a starter or a "bust" - not much in between.  He is 21 and I think there's still a great chance that he can be an everyday player but as far as a 4th OF, Calhoun seems to fit that role better.

Scott/Scotty,

Interesting factors to take into consideration.

Scotty,

why did you mention Calhoun wouldnt get the oppertunity to be a 4th outfielder for the Halos?

You speak highly of him so I'm guessing you dont think he will fizzle out...I'm thinking you believe he might be traded?

I believe I may have misspoke or was misunderstood.  I don't believe Calhoun will get a shot at being a starting OF with the Angels.  I think Calhoun could legitimately be a starting OF that collects 20 HR and 20 SB.  But I do not think he'll get that opportunity with the Angels, I think he'll be relegated to 4th OF duty.

But it also seems to line up well for Witherspoon.  Wells is going to be here for the next 2 years, and there's no denying that Scioscia for whatever reason prefers Wells over the youngsters (a fatal flaw if you ask me).  Calhoun spending another 2 years in AAA is pretty useless.  I can understand spending a few more months for the sake of depth, but really, he doesn't have anything to prove in the minor leagues and would gain nothing from it.  Yet still, that's what appears will happen.  Witherspoon on the other hand will need these next two seasons in the minors to develop and adjust.  

By the time Wells is gone, Calhoun will be out of options, Witherspoon would fit the role of pinch running and defensive substitute the best and will be ready and Grichuk, as Scott alluded to, may in fact be too good for the 4th OF spot or not good enough.  

I really like Calhoun a lot. He brings so much to the table. He doesn't have any one skill that dominates, but is so good at all aspects of the game. I agree with Scott that as a starter he could post a 270 avg with 15-20 HRs and SBs. As a left-handed bat off the bench he would be good, but I think that he can be much more. Sadly, I could see him traded because of that. Another team in need might value the overall consistency that he brings to the game.

As for Grichuk, I think he will still develop. He is young, but made big strides in his first full and healthy season. He is a very hard worker, and has a good head on his shoulders. He has the skills to be a Major Leaguer. The power will still develop, and if the plate discipline continues to develop, he will.

Top Prospect #4 2B Taylor Lindsey - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-angels-prospects-4-taylor-lindsey.html

I'm not as high on Lindsey as some others, but I do recognize that the talent is there.  Personally, I like Alex Yarbrough much more, but Lindsey is younger and to me, has the look of a future major leaguer.  He has the upside to be among the better second basemen in baseball, but in the end I believe Lindsey will shape up to be a replacement level player at the major leagues.  Which when you have a payroll like the Angels do, is actually really useful because it he can offset the cost of others. 

What do you guys see Lindsey being?