• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK guys....

Chuck

Question

I've been getting several complaints from mostly iPhone & iPad users that you've been pop-ups and redirects as a result of ads that I have been running. Ads that I run to make money to pay for this website.

I have taken ALL of the ads down in hopes of implementing one ad code at a time in hopes of finding which one is causing the pop-ups and redirects. 

For those who have paid for an ad-free service, thank you. For those who haven't, I need your input. Tomorrow or Wednesday I will start introducing once ad at a time and I will not introduce another ad until it's clear that the previous one is not the problem.

So... enjoy an entire ad free, pop-up free, redirect free forum, FREE OF CHARGE and please help ME, help you enjoy your AngelsWin.com experience. 

Thank you! 

Chuck, I don't know if it's useful info  or not but it's been an issue for some time but very intermittent.  It would be there for a day or so and then not be a problem.  Usually you could just back out of it or open another window and it wouldn't be an issue.  But it's been persistent for the last 4-5 days and as someone else noted you can only leave the site to escape it.

2 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Thanks Chuck! As an iPhone user this has started being a problem for me in the last month or so. Then I'd delete my browser cache/history and I'd have to login to AW again but couldn't remember my password. Guess that's what happens when one is older.

You're welcome, @Dick B Back

3 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Thanks Chuck! As an iPhone user this has started being a problem for me in the last month or so. Then I'd delete my browser cache/history and I'd have to login to AW again but couldn't remember my password. Guess that's what happens when one is older.

Shit I've had that probably since I started posting on these boards as a teenager. haha

Hey @Chuckster70 I suppose its a valiant effort, but I'm not sure you are going to be able to solve the problem this way. Most ad networks are vulnerable to these hijack attacks, so which ever one is causing the issue today might not tomorrow, and the ones that aren't a problem today might become one in the future. Because of this Apple will soon start blocking third party ads on sites like this one (or at least I know they did have this planned at one time recently) so they might force your hand.

I would consider removing the ad networks all together and selling the ad space on the site yourself. It'd be more work but you might make more money this way, while improving your user experience. 

On 8/8/2017 at 1:51 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Hey @Chuckster70 I suppose its a valiant effort, but I'm not sure you are going to be able to solve the problem this way. Most ad networks are vulnerable to these hijack attacks, so which ever one is causing the issue today might not tomorrow, and the ones that aren't a problem today might become one in the future. Because of this Apple will soon start blocking third party ads on sites like this one (or at least I know they did have this planned at one time recently) so they might force your hand.

I would consider removing the ad networks all together and selling the ad space on the site yourself. It'd be more work but you might make more money this way, while improving your user experience. 

I wouldn't even know where to start as far as selling ad space. Can you or anyone else here point me in the right direction? 

That would be best because we'd just have a static image with a clickable URL redirect. 

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wouldn't even know where to start as far as selling ad space. Can you or anyone else here point me in the right direction? 

That would be best because we'd just have a static image with a clickable URL redirect. 

I have never done it, but I think I would start by contacting some of the Angels sponsors - smaller companies, or big local advertisers like Tustin auto center where it might be easier to get the right person on the phone. Maybe someone like Tim Mead could give you some leads on the right people to reach out to. 

Just be sure you have data on the number of 'impressions' and unique user visits you can offer. If they don't have any artwork tell them you can make it, I used to create ad artwork for a small company so I don't mind taking care of that if it came up.. 

18 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Whatever ad you enabled today completely locks up IE. I don't use IE at home but have no choice at work. (luckily I work part time)

Site worked fine yesterday. Getting certificate warnings and complete freezing..

I don't use IE (nor should anyone). 

What version of IE are you running at work? 

2 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Whatever ad you enabled today completely locks up IE. I don't use IE at home but have no choice at work. (luckily I work part time)

Site worked fine yesterday. Getting certificate warnings and complete freezing..

I feel your pain. My employer insists on foisting IE on us (not even a relatively current version of it) because we use proprietary software that won't work with any remotely modern browser. We aren't even allowed to update IE, because anything beyond IE 8 causes a problem as well.

My employer blocks sports websites, so I don't even attempt to log onto AW at work. I'm on my PC now, but I use a Kindle Fire HD7 to access the board at night. Maybe the problem is peculiar to Apple systems, because my Android tablet has never had an issue with hijacking ads. Neither has my Android phone, on the rare occasions that I have used it for internet browsing.

6 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I feel your pain. My employer insists on foisting IE on us (not even a relatively current version of it) because we use proprietary software that won't work with any remotely modern browser. We aren't even allowed to update IE, because anything beyond IE 8 causes a problem as well.

My employer blocks sports websites, so I don't even attempt to log onto AW at work. I'm on my PC now, but I use a Kindle Fire HD7 to access the board at night. Maybe the problem is peculiar to Apple systems, because my Android tablet has never had an issue with hijacking ads. Neither has my Android phone, on the rare occasions that I have used it for internet browsing.

Yeah, I've never had an issue on mobile (Android) or Desktop. 

98% of the complaints have come from Apple users on mobile devices.

14 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

hmm, if only we knew someone who worked for a big awesome company like INO . . . 

16 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't use IE (nor should anyone). 

What version of IE are you running at work? 

11.03.. I think...It's a system that runs through Fresno and goes to over 100 locations with multiple stations at each one. That's why they prefer to keep everyone on one browser. I wouldn't go anywhere near IE (or Windows for that matter) if I didn't need to, a few hours a week.

We're running either IE 8 or IE 9, I forget which. We have been warned against updating it because then our inmate data system would collapse in on itself.

This shouldn't be a shock. Nevada DOC was running an MS-DOS based system when I started (2001) that was an absolute nightmare. If anyone left a record open, no one else could even view the record until whoever had it open (or someone from IT) closed it. Needless to say, on night shift there aren't a whole lot of IT people hanging around waiting to close open records. We were just screwed if we couldn't get into an individual record.

16 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

We're running either IE 8 or IE 9, I forget which. We have been warned against updating it because then our inmate data system would collapse in on itself.

This shouldn't be a shock. Nevada DOC was running an MS-DOS based system when I started (2001) that was an absolute nightmare. If anyone left a record open, no one else could even view the record until whoever had it open (or someone from IT) closed it. Needless to say, on night shift there aren't a whole lot of IT people hanging around waiting to close open records. We were just screwed if we couldn't get into an individual record.

Wow!