Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

IGNORED

That Kyle Glaser Tweet


ettin

Recommended Posts

Last night both on Twitter:

and shared here by @totdprods (I'm anti-Craig):

it was reported that Angels scouts were seen in Durham where the Phillies and Rays were playing.

This got me to thinking about why the Angels would be there, particularly looking at the Phillies, and what would be of interest to all three teams.

First of all the Rays would have a clear need for one or more of our relievers. Norris, Hernandez, and even Petit could all be on the table as Tampa is not doing well in that department: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-rays-have-a-road-map-require-urgency/

Basically the Rays have had issues at 2B this season as Brad Miller hasn't performed. Additionally he was rumored to be upset about his position around the diamond late last year:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/rays-miller-upset-at-move-off-shortstop/2287887

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/rays-brad-miller-accepts-move-to-second-as-step-toward-winning-championship/2313706

When you consider that Tampa has a very small team payroll, Miller's unhappiness with management and his poor performance (partly due to injury) in 2017, and the Ray's glut of middle infielders (Longoria, Duffy, Hechevarria, Adames, Beckham) to start 2018 it makes some sense that Brad could be on the move here at the deadline. Money might not be the issue but I imagine the Rays are constantly managing it in-season.

The Phillies are trying to position and build for their immediate future starting in 2018. Clearly they have been shopping Howie Kendrick, a pure rental for the remainder of 2017, which would probably provide the Rays better production the remainder of the season. Also they are shopping Pat Neshek, also a pure rental, which would help the Rays bullpen.

I could see a basic trade of the Angels send Bud Norris and David Hernandez (or Petit)  to the Rays, the Phillies send Howie Kendrick and Pat Neshek to the Rays, and the Rays send back prospects to the Phillies and Brad Miller to the Angels (to play 3B, 2B, or 1B). It gives the Rays a bunch of rental pieces and they probably do not have to give up a terrible amount of prospect currency to the Phillies and the replaceable Miller to the Angels.

It could be expanded further if the Angels are really trying to acquire Cesar Hernandez but why overly complicate it. In that scenario Hernandez would clearly take over 2B with Miller either at 3B or 1B based on where the Angels think he fits. Both would provide better production against RHP which is what the Angels need.

C.J. Cron could also go to Tampa and take over Brad's current position in the DH. A base trade of Cron and Norris for Miller would make sense with perhaps an extra prospect thrown in by the Rays. Again another possibility. The Rays always seemed like a potential destination for C.J. in the last two seasons.

Alternatively the Angels could try an acquire a prospect starter from Tampa but that seems more difficult in my mind. Sending C.J. Cron, Bud Norris, and David Hernandez could result in Brad Miller and a prospect starter (but not one of their best ones like Honeywell for instance) like De Leon, Wu, or maybe Harris.

There are lots of options here though so maybe we'll see something happen soon. Or maybe it was smoke.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Brad Miller is awful though. He's like Espinosa 2.0.

I think he is athletic enough to play anywhere around the diamond (although SS is not so good in my mind) and his power is down but he's been injured too (his hip which is his base of strength). Even though he only has a 86 wRC+ this season he still has a .341 OBP which really points to the injury in my mind sapping his power. Good against RHP which is what this team needs. Athletic enough to play 2B but I actually think the Angels would put him at 3B. Controllable for three years which fits the Mike Trout window and the Rays may not want to keep him due to payroll and possible clubhouse concerns.

Just saying it is another possibility. There is a great track record of high wRC+ in his Minor League career too which points to 2017 being a blip on the radar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ettin said:

I could see a basic trade of the Angels send Bud Norris and David Hernandez (or Petit)  to the Rays, the Phillies send Howie Kendrick and Pat Neshek to the Rays, and the Rays send back prospects to the Phillies and Brad Miller to the Angels (to play 3B, 2B, or 1B). It gives the Rays a bunch of rental pieces and they probably do not have to give up a terrible amount of prospect currency to the Phillies and the replaceable Miller to the Angels.

I like it - I think I'd like one more prospect in there on the return. 

I do think that the Phillies part was more that they just happened to be the opposing team. Just don't see much of a match between where we are at and where the Phillies are at, and it'd be awfully convenient for a three-way trade to build from it simply because they were all there at the same time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

That doesn't really make him look any more attractive tbh. 

I'll point to the above regarding his injury and how it may have sapped his power. He's still showing a good OBP which makes me tend to think it is the injury that is hurting his power output.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ettin said:

I'll point to the above regarding his injury and how it may have sapped his power. He's still showing a good OBP which makes me tend to think it is the injury that is hurting his power output.

Possibly, but that BB% is the highest of his career by a long shot. Is that something that can continue long term or just a fluke? 

Personally, I'd rather take my chances with a guy like Gordon, who at least hits his way on and doesn't strike out a ton. And I don't even want Gordon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I like it - I think I'd like one more prospect in there on the return. 

I do think that the Phillies part was more that they just happened to be the opposing team. Just don't see much of a match between where we are at and where the Phillies are at, and it'd be awfully convenient for a three-way trade to build from it simply because they were all there at the same time. 

Agreed.

I just think it would help the Angels kill two birds here if they could squeeze Miller out of Tampa Bay by sending Cron and Norris, thereby filling 3B, and then also acquire Cesar Hernandez (because the Rays don't need a long-term piece because of Adames and Duffy taking up 2B and SS next year so Kendrick makes more sense) from the Phillies to play 2B.

Would give us greatly improved defense and production, specifically against RHP (since Miller is left-handed and Cesar is a switch-hitter). We could then focus any other trades such as David Hernandez and/or Yusmeiro Petit to teams like the Twins or Cubs for outfield prospects like Zack Granite or Mark Zagunis to play LF for us next year. Then the off-season budget could go directly to the rotation (Darvish for instance), bullpen (someone like Reed), and catcher.

It makes sense to me but that could be far, far away from reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Possibly, but that BB% is the highest of his career by a long shot. Is that something that can continue long term or just a fluke? 

Personally, I'd rather take my chances with a guy like Gordon, who at least hits his way on and doesn't strike out a ton. And I don't even want Gordon. 

Understood and agree the walk rate is really high. Just a possibility. Personally I'd rather grab Miller than Gordon but I think the Angels would put Miller at 3B potentially as well making Gordon a possibility at 2B too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I'm sick of guys who "are athletic enough to play anywhere on the diamond."

How about guys who can hit a damn baseball? That would be my top priority.

Agreed. We can get similar offensive production from CJ Cron in a full season if we just put him in the lineup everyday. I'd rather go after dee Gordon to be honest.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stanick88 said:

Agreed. We can get similar offensive production from CJ Cron in a full season if we just put him in the lineup everyday. I'd rather go after dee Gordon to be honest.  

I read another article or chat the other day that speculated Miami really would be fine dealing him just to be rid of the contract. He may come at almost no cost besides the money and a fringe prospect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I like it - I think I'd like one more prospect in there on the return

I do think that the Phillies part was more that they just happened to be the opposing team. Just don't see much of a match between where we are at and where the Phillies are at, and it'd be awfully convenient for a three-way trade to build from it simply because they were all there at the same time. 

If the Angels could somehow add Yonny Chirinos in as that extra prospect it would be a great deal I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Believe it or not, Brad Miller isn't a terrible target for the Angels to have.  He has power, makes more contract than Espinosa did, is just entering his prime, and he wouldn't hurt you at 2B, SS or 3B.  Miller would give the Angels some flexibility as far as who they can add and where. 

I'm not saying we should trade for Brad Miller, I'm just saying he's a better target than he's being given credit for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Believe it or not, Brad Miller isn't a terrible target for the Angels to have.  He has power, makes more contract than Espinosa did, is just entering his prime, and he wouldn't hurt you at 2B, SS or 3B.  Miller would give the Angels some flexibility as far as who they can add and where. 

I'm not saying we should trade for Brad Miller, I'm just saying he's a better target than he's being given credit for. 

We're so thin at the MIF/UT IF in the upper levels I am all for any improvement here. We have Simmons, Fletcher, and barely Cowart and that's it all the way through MLB, AAA, and AA. Maybe Fontana since he can at least take a walk and man those two positions.

You could even argue it's thin through the entire system save Zimmerman, Lenonardo Rivas, and Nonie Williams, and none of them are even remotely close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I read another article or chat the other day that speculated Miami really would be fine dealing him just to be rid of the contract. He may come at almost no cost besides the money and a fringe prospect.

if i could acquire dee gordon for no prospect of importance, simply by taking on his salary, then i would do so. he's likely to earn the vast majority of it's value and it's not an albatross length or dollar amount anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ukyah said:

if i could acquire dee gordon for no prospect of importance, simply by taking on his salary, then i would do so. he's likely to earn the vast majority of it's value and it's not an albatross length or dollar amount anyway.

I think that's about the level of favorability most of us here are seeing a Gordon trade  being. It seems like it's got a shot at happening too. I think it'd be a great deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I think that's about the level of favorability most of us here are seeing a Gordon trade  being. It seems like it's got a shot at happening too. I think it'd be a great deal.

like i said in another thread, a top three of gordon, maybin, trout would be interesting. i'm not as down on maybin as many here. he has his issues and health is among them, but he's still a pretty nice player, imo. 

shoot, if you added gordon and moustakas to the angels lineup and moved der fuhrer down to the six spot, then you'd have a stew goin'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

I read another article or chat the other day that speculated Miami really would be fine dealing him just to be rid of the contract. He may come at almost no cost besides the money and a fringe prospect.

Which is why he makes some sense, even if he's not perfect....but I'd try and unload Valbuena in the deal, if I'm going to take on all or most of Gordon's money...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...