• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Planned Parenthood

Hey so, quick question. I lean pretty far left, and am kinda using this place as a tool to understand those who I clearly don't understand. I love PP. They are the reason my girlfriend is able to afford birth control, which helps regulate her hormones and improves her quality of life every day. I know probably half a dozen people with similar stories about them. Can you like...explain the hate? I know this is off topic and all, it just kinda always throws me for a loop when I hear that.

opening new thread to discuss

Abortion generates strong heated reactions on each side. Those reactions themselves self perpetuate into stronger reactions. Especially in a political environment that encourages hatred of the opposition. Especially interesting when supporting of/opposition to the procedure would seem to be contrary to many ingrained values of each side yet ones belief of the issue seems to fall into rather neat partisan lines.

Okay. This WILL turn into an abortion argument, at which point I WILL make my case that its fine to be anti abortion but its stupid to say the bible is the reason (I say this as a Christian who personally flips on a basically daily basis on the abortion issue), but before then, I wanna have an actual conversation about Planned Parenthood, because I think it gets a horrible rap on the right. So, I am going to make the assumption that abortions are terrible, and move on from there.

The left claims that 3% of PP's services are abortions, and the right claims that 94% are. These are both essentially wrong. So...As I hinted at in the above quoted post, I think that we are throwing out the baby with the bath water (...too real a metaphor here?). For the reason I stated above, along with tons of other services they provide, PP does amazing things for women's health - especially for those who lack the funding. A side effect of this is to lower unintended pregnancies, and thus lower the actual number of abortions. If you are ACTUALLY against abortions, you should embrace most of what PP does. I can source this, but I feel like I don't need to: providing options to avoid unintended pregnancies reduces the number of unintended pregnancies, and thus the number of abortions. That's on TOP of everything they do in general for women's health.

Basically, it seems like the fight should be with the law, not with the provider. Honestly, I have trouble thinking of a policy combination as cruel and stupid as both stopping abortions and cutting funding/access for contraceptives.