• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

question re: Pujols' contract

just speaking hypothetically . . . let's say Pujols continues to be ravaged by injuries for the next 2-3 years and basically falls apart. Now let's say he's true to his word and walks away from the game - are the Angels off the hook if he retires before his contract is up?

Yes, it would pretty much be Pujols voiding his contract.  

Here is where it could get interesting though.  The Angels and Pujols could agree that he's going to retire.  The Angels could then say, that since he's retired, his salary doesn't count against the luxury tax.  But then the Angels could then say, well, we have a 10 year Personal Service Contract with you, so whatever you lost by retiring, we will still pay you.  

I have a feeling that's why MLB banned PSC in contracts after the deal Pujols got.  Because it's a way to get around the luxury tax.  

Lol. Pujols isn't leaving money on the table to retire. We're stuck

i know what you're saying, but let's say in 2 years he's just a shell of himself, can't stay healthy, puts up bad numbers when he does play - do you think he's going to want to hang around for 6 more years as a crappy DH/bench guy and tarnish his image?  I actually believe him when he says he'll walk away from the game.  I think he has too much pride.

If the rumor is true that he wouldn't want to jeopordize his legacy. 

How many professional athletes happily quit?  Even the one's that leave because of injury normally do it long after they should have.  Saying he'll walk away is one thing but actually doing so and leaving money on the table is a whole different thing.  Regardless I think it's highly unlikely Pujols won't be in an Angel uniform for the next 5 years.

If the rumor is true that he wouldn't want to jeopordize his legacy. 

If he wanted a legacy, he would have stayed in St. Louis, where he was a hero and won multiple WS.  Instead he threw away his legacy, moved his family (or separated himself from his family) all to chase the few extra sheckels that Arte offered.

Dudes like that do not give up millions on the table.

Or if he is so severely injured that he can't play any more his contract would still be guaranteed but covered by insurance.

I haven't seen anything that that contract is insured.  Not picking an argument, just wondering - do you know that contract is insured?

I haven't seen anything that that contract is insured.  Not picking an argument, just wondering - do you know that contract is insured?

i don't know for sure, but I think generally speaking, most big $$ contracts are.  Don't think we'd get the full amount back, but at least some of it.

i know what you're saying, but let's say in 2 years he's just a shell of himself, can't stay healthy, puts up bad numbers when he does play - do you think he's going to want to hang around for 6 more years as a crappy DH/bench guy and tarnish his image?  I actually believe him when he says he'll walk away from the game.  I think he has too much pride.

He is going to hang around until 600 HRs.  He has a reasonable chance at getting their.

i don't know for sure, but I think generally speaking, most big $$ contracts are.  Don't think we'd get the full amount back, but at least some of it.

That is some serious cash.  Insurance companies don't go into insuring $250 contract in the hopes of losing money.

If that thing is insured, what do you think the cost of insuring was?  $75 mil?

If he wanted a legacy, he would have stayed in St. Louis, where he was a hero and won multiple WS.  Instead he threw away his legacy, moved his family (or separated himself from his family) all to chase the few extra sheckels that Arte offered.

Dudes like that do not give up millions on the table.

I beg to differ. The Cards KNEW this was coming and did little, if anything to offer him what he legitimately deserved. I truly believe he WANTED to stay in STL but when they didn't show up, he listened to other offers and Arte WANTED him. A guy like Pujols DOES have pride in his ability to be one of the best the game has ever seen. I 100% believe that he has way too much pride and integrity to ride the pine or bat .187 into June and collect $20+MM.

I beg to differ. The Cards KNEW this was coming and did little, if anything to offer him what he legitimately deserved. I truly believe he WANTED to stay in STL but when they didn't show up, he listened to other offers and Arte WANTED him. A guy like Pujols DOES have pride in his ability to be one of the best the game has ever seen. I 100% believe that he has way too much pride and integrity to ride the pine or bat .187 into June and collect $20+MM.

They offered him a 5 year deal for more per year than the 10 year deal.

That seems like a fair deal for a 31 year old.

It's not St Louis' fault that Dipoto gave him a ridiculous 10 year contract that Pujols could never live up to.

Looks to me like St. Louis knew exactly what he 'legitimately deserved'.

Looks to me like St. Louis knew exactly what he 'legitimately deserved'.

St Louis is in great place since they have a first place team and the top farm system in the league and arguably the top position player prospect in baseball.

And letting Pujols go allowed them to sign Wainright.

That is some serious cash.  Insurance companies don't go into insuring $250 contract in the hopes of losing money.

If that thing is insured, what do you think the cost of insuring was?  $75 mil?

It might even be more.  Which is why I don't think the Angels have insurance on it.  Because with insurance, they would be paying $325 million for Pujols.  And insurance doesn't cover retirement, usually only career ending injuries, and usually not preexisting conditions.