• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Huston Street

Traditionally, the best reliever in a team's bullpen gets designated the closer. In recent years, though, there's been an argument that using your best reliever in high-leverage situations is more valuable than saving your closer for a save opportunity that may never materialize. 

Huston Street is not a fan of that thinking according to David Alder of MLB.com.

"I'll retire if that ever happens," Street said. "If they ever tell me, 'Oh, we're gonna start using you in these high-leverage situations.' … All right, good. You now can go find someone else to do that, because I'm going home."

1 minute ago, DropOfAnaheim said:

Traditionally, the best reliever in a team's bullpen gets designated the closer. In recent years, though, there's been an argument that using your best reliever in high-leverage situations is more valuable than saving your closer for a save opportunity that may never materialize. 

Huston Street is not a fan of that thinking according to David Alder of MLB.com.

"I'll retire if that ever happens," Street said. "If they ever tell me, 'Oh, we're gonna start using you in these high-leverage situations.' … All right, good. You now can go find someone else to do that, because I'm going home."

I don't think Street is going to have to worry too much about pitching in high leverage situations.

1 minute ago, DropOfAnaheim said:

I wonder how he will feel being used in low leverage situations, like when trailing 7 runs in the 8th.

42 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I would agree. Don't mess with success.

Street is a high-anxiety closer who has tended recently to blow up in save situations. We don't need that right now. Quiet, efficient saves are best.

throughout the vast majority of his career he's never been a high anxiety closer, as you say. he was never flashy with the eye popping fastball, but he was almost always the quiet efficient closer you wish for. the problem with street, now, is that his career is obviously coming to an end and the angels are bearing the brunt of it, once again.