• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chuck's Pho Recipe

I've been making this for quite some time and is usually requested by family and friends when having them over for dinner. 

For those who do don't know what Pho is (pronounced F-uh), it's beef Vietnamese soup. 

Anyhow, here's our recipe that I posted on Facebook earlier today if you're interested. I know I promised my seafood chowder recipe next, but I'll wait a week or so to post that. 

Here you go....

Start with some frozen Prime Rib. Or if you're strapped for $$$, another cut from the beef. But make sure it's frozen.

Image may contain: food

The reason you want your choice of beef frozen is so that you can cut it razor thin. Season the beef with pepper & salt.

Image may contain: food and indoor

Head to your local Asian market and pick up these flavor packets. They're like tea bags and some powder that you add to water in a large pot. Note: Not pictured is a large yellow onion that you pop in the oven and broil for 1 hour on low. This onion will go into your broth with the flavor packets and seasoning provided.

Make sure to get some high quality rice noodles from the Asian market. Bring to a boil, rinse with cold water and keep the noodles in a separate pot for serving.

In addition to the added flavor and broiled onion, make sure you include the prime rib bone and fat from the meat into the broth. Cook this on medium-high for 4-5 hours, or longer. Cooking with the bone is mandatory as there is so much flavor that derrives from the bone and fat.

Wash, clean and trim: fresh basil, green onions, cilantro and bean sprouts. This will go into your broth on top of the noodles and sliced meat.

After your broth has been cooked long enough, put just the amount of beef per bowl that you want. Make sure the broth is at a bowl at this point. Do not keep the meat in the hot broth more than 10-15 seconds. You don't want to overcook the thinly sliced meat.

You're all set. After it's all ready to go, add Hoisin Sauce & Srirachia. A cut up lime optional.

Om Nom Nom. I had seconds it was so good.

Image may contain: drink, candles and indoor

One tip: Place the amount of raw sliced meat into a large soup ladle and lower it into the hot broth for 10-15 seconds max (it will also cook in the bowl so don't over cook it). If you want it extra raw, only dip it in for 5 seconds. The reason using the ladle is best is because you don't have to search for all the meat that you dropped into the pot of boiling Pho broth and thus have any missing pieces overcooked. 

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Wow, you guys were right about Chuck's cultural appropriation....

Looks like a solid recipe though! 

When you travel the world and try all kinds of dishes around the globe and find something you really like, why not try to master the dish yourself? 

That's one of my favorite things to do.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

I like this soup but we're more of a seafood family these days so it's usually tom yum or gumbo. I will say I agree that boiling the bones makes a huge difference when you make beef soups 

I gotta a couple of really good seafood recipes that I will be posted soon..

One a chowder and the other an Italian seafood pasta dish. @Adam has had this before at my house.

21 hours ago, red321 said:

For $6 you can go to any strip mall in Orange County and get this...and the best part is, there's usually a taco shop next door and you can go eat there instead!

must say, Vietnamese is probably my least favorite food, something about the spices used just does not work for me.

Weird. You're literally the first person I've talked to about Pho that doesn't like it. 

F'n Communist Libs.

laugh...my wife absolutely loves it, so sometimes it makes it tough to decide where to go to dinner. I don't like Vietnamese food in general though, as I mentioned, the spice palette just doesn't work for me for some reason.

Here's the other challenge...you cannot eat soup when it's over 80 degrees. That's like saying...hey...let's have snow cones when it's below freezing.

48 minutes ago, red321 said:

laugh...my wife absolutely loves it, so sometimes it makes it tough to decide where to go to dinner. I don't like Vietnamese food in general though, as I mentioned, the spice palette just doesn't work for me for some reason.

Here's the other challenge...you cannot eat soup when it's over 80 degrees. That's like saying...hey...let's have snow cones when it's below freezing.

This is true. No wonder it's a big hit up here. 

There's literally a Pho place on every corner in Seattle. 

Pho isnt my forst choice, but every now and then i go out of my way to get it. Its a good hangover food. 

I didnt really dig on it until i went to vietnam and had it there. Then i "got it" more. (Never understood the hype).

Agree with red, if its too hot (temp wise) it kills it for me. Theres a good chinese place i hit often. Im a huge fan of wonton soup, but they always serve it scalding. After waiting for it to cool down enough, the wontons are always soggy (ruined)

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Pho isnt my forst choice, but every now and then i go out of my way to get it. Its a good hangover food. 

I didnt really dig on it until i went to vietnam and had it there. Then i "got it" more. (Never understood the hype).

Agree with red, if its too hot (temp wise) it kills it for me. Theres a good chinese place i hit often. Im a huge fan of wonton soup, but they always serve it scalding. After waiting for it to cool down enough, the wontons are always soggy (ruined)

If you are ever in the Buena Park area try the Panda Inn. I used to eat there at least once a month and their food was great. It's owned by the Panda Express company. They have the best Kung pao chicken plus other great entrees.

20 hours ago, JAHV76 said:

If you are ever in the Buena Park area try the Panda Inn. I used to eat there at least once a month and their food was great. It's owned by the Panda Express company. They have the best Kung pao chicken plus other great entrees.

Where in BP? I assume Beach north of Stage, but thats probably racist.