• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Worst player in Angels history?

I've got two of them for you!!!!!     John D'Acquisto and Bill Travers.... The 2 .500 pitchers who were supposed to take over for the Express.

California Angels[edit]

In 1981 D'Acquisto tested the free agent market and signed with the California Angels. D'Acquisto did not pitch much with the Angels (6 appearances) during the strike-ridden year and was subsequently sent to the minor leagues in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was brought back to the parent team in spring training and then released.

California Angels[edit]

Travers signed a four-year free agent contract with the California Angels on January 26, 1981.[11] He faced just one batter in his fourth start with his new club, walking Yankees second baseman Willie Randolph on four pitches before he needed to be pulled from the game.[12] Calcium deposits were found in his pitching elbow. He sat out the remainder of the season in an unsuccessful attempted to let the injury heal. He had surgery during the off season to have the calcium deposits removed, causing him to miss the entire 1982 season in which the Angels captured the American League West.[13]

Travers returned to the mound for the Angels on May 10, 1983.[14] He made ten appearances, going 0-3 with a 5.91 ERA before he was released.[15]

B Woods was mentally fucked by Sosh and the org. Even so, such a brief career doesn't even register as worst. 

Mathis might be the winner. A counter argument to Mathis is if he was that bad, why is he still in the league going on 13 years.

Career:.195.252.308.560

After a little thought, I'll give the trophy to Hamilton. $125MM for 1.5 years of pure shit. Plus he made Arte hide in his suite ever since.

I agree that it's Hamilton.  The whole Wood was ruined by Scioscia is just plain garbage.  What ruined Wood was a very long swing, lots of swing and miss, and the major league curve ball. If he was such a mental midget that couldn't handle adversity he would have never had a decent career in a game that fails such a high percentage of time. 

6 hours ago, #CF8 said:

Mathis might be the winner. A counter argument to Mathis is if he was that bad, why is he still in the league going on 13 years.

That's what i've always wondered.  He must not be as bad as we make him out to be if he still has a job.  Being a "good clubhouse guy" can only get you so far

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I agree that it's Hamilton.  The whole Wood was ruined by Scioscia is just plain garbage.  What ruined Wood was a very long swing, lots of swing and miss, and the major league curve ball. If he was such a mental midget that couldn't handle adversity he would have never had a decent career in a game that fails such a high percentage of time. 

Agreed.  Wood sucked from day 1.  I have no idea how Sosh gets the blame for this one.

29 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Didn't we have Steve Ontiveros and he never threw a pitch for us because his arm fell off after we signed him?

Yeah back in like 96..   In the Angels defense it was their turn to sign him and never see him pitch.    Ontiveros and Butch Henry were the poster boys of talented but oft injured pitchers in their day.

17 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Tim Foli was pretty good in 82.....Dick Schofield wasn't terrible...great glove, low BA....

Schoefield was a lot better than Disar...    Bat included.    WAR, OPS+, OBP...    Whatever the measure..  Schoefield was better.    

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schofdi02.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/disarga01.shtml

Disar did however have a huge edge when it came to scowls and looking mad all the time.

Gary Gaetti was a pretty awful Angel..

9 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

This is easy: Brandon Wood. Of all Angels position players with at least 10 PA, he's got the worst fWAR: -3.0 in 174 games, 494 PA. .168 BA, .197 OBP, .259 SLG.

Holy crap. 

.197 obp? .456 ops?

Espinosa has better numbers this year.

and lol @ Scioscia and Arte being at fault 

Mathis did provide clutch hitting in the 2009 post season.

Also, Mathis held down the position for 6 seasons, and in the 5+ seasons since he left, we have had 11 different players start at catcher. 

All that being said, how can anything be worse than Hamilton? I would sign Mathis to a lifetime contract before I would let that POS on my team.