• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manoah and Baldoquin get named to the Midwest League All-Stars

6 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

1.5 WHIP, 4.3 BB/9

is he really all that interesting?

Interesting, far from perfect or even good. Walks are obviously way too high, and hits allowed aren't great but aren't terrible, but he gets a good bit of strikeouts, keeps  the ball in the yard, and is still pretty young (only age 21 season, younger than most in the league) and still managed to at least make an All-Star team. 

Not bad for Fernando Salas. If he finds a way to improve his control or can bump an out pitch into something a little more effective, he could land into mid-relief depth. 

11 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I know this isn't what everyone wants to hear, because it's fun to pile on Baldoquin, but the talent has always been there. It was there for Brandon Wood. Baldoquin is a good kid too, much like Wood. Their shared problem has been confidence. Baldoquin just doesn't carry himself like he has any. Lots of work ethic. 

Hopefully this year's performance and his subsequent selection for the all-star team will be the kick he needs to get his career going.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/104599294/sources-angels-sign-cuban-infield-prospect-roberto-baldoquin/

"We're going to let him tell us when it's time to move," Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said during the Winter Meetings, "but he's a pretty advanced player. He's a confident kid who understands what he is, what he can do." 

8 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

We aren't talking superstar level talent, but I don't think scouts were wrong when they compared him to a young Yunel Escobar.

Except scouts didn't say that....    The guy that called him confident did....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-roberto-baldoquin-signing-20150106-story.html

Dipoto said Baldoquin physically “looks like a cross between Yuniel Escobar and Adrian Beltre” and is polished for his age. The GM is confident Baldoquin will develop into an everyday big league shortstop.

Wood gets ripped on and I won't join that crowd.  He was a first class gentleman that worked hard and had some very impressive and entertaining baseball talent.  I used to travel to Utah a lot and I would plan trips to make sure I could go to a Bees games.  I became a fan who rooted for heavily.  His final ceiling should not change how I view him now.  Ultimately (for lots of reasons) he could not bridge the gap between AAA and the majors.  I absolutely respect him and won't use him as a punchline like other people do.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:28 PM, Inside Pitch said:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/104599294/sources-angels-sign-cuban-infield-prospect-roberto-baldoquin/

"We're going to let him tell us when it's time to move," Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said during the Winter Meetings, "but he's a pretty advanced player. He's a confident kid who understands what he is, what he can do." 

Except scouts didn't say that....    The guy that called him confident did....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-roberto-baldoquin-signing-20150106-story.html

Dipoto said Baldoquin physically “looks like a cross between Yuniel Escobar and Adrian Beltre” and is polished for his age. The GM is confident Baldoquin will develop into an everyday big league shortstop.

And I think all that links back to Dipoto's ability to scout.  Sure, Baldoquin was confident when shagging grounders on the back fields and taking some BP.  But everything about his mannerisms since arriving stateside suggest something completely different.  Honestly, I don't think it was the lack of hitting that got to him so much as all the throwing errors.  Those really stuck with him and compounded.