• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels will draft....

I just wrote up my longest post of the year and just as I was putting the finishing touches on it, the computer I was using crashed and I lost all my work. Rather than suffering through writing it  again, I decided to give you guys the gist of it right here.

The Angels won't pick Jeren Kendall, Alex Faedo, or Pavin Smith. 

They might pick Jo Adell, Keston Hiura or Trevor Rogers.

The Angels will pick OF Austin Beck because Jo Adell will go either 5th, 8th, or 9th and the Angels pick 10th. Hiura's impending TJ surgery will scare them off, and Rogers upside can't outweigh the position players. Beck is the third best prep player in the country behind So Cal products Hunter Green and Royce Lewis. He has drawn comparisons to Mike Trout, which is hard to live up to.

10 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I just wrote up my longest post of the year and just as I was putting the finishing touches on it, the computer I was using crashed and I lost all my work. Rather than suffering through writing it  again, I decided to give you guys the gist of it right here.

The Angels won't pick Jeren Kendall, Alex Faedo, or Pavin Smith. 

They might pick Jo Adell, Keston Hiura or Trevor Rogers.

The Angels will pick OF Austin Beck because Jo Adell will go either 5th, 8th, or 9th and the Angels pick 10th. Hiura's impending TJ surgery will scare them off, and Rogers upside can't outweigh the position players. Beck is the third best prep player in the country behind So Cal products Hunter Green and Royce Lewis. He has drawn comparisons to Mike Trout, which is hard to live up to.

He has a commitment to the University of North Carolina, automatically leading to a signability concern.

Should we take a chance on him signing or going to college.

I'm not a fan of Beck, personally. His track record is worse than Adell, whom I'm a big time fan of. I'm starting to lean towards Keston Hiura, who might just be the best hitter in this whole class. I get the worries about his arm and the potential surgery but if the Angels pick him, it shows me they're looking towards the long term, which is vital for this organization. Plus, Hiura is very advanced and will still move through the system quick once he's back and healthy. I've read and seen enough to think he can stick at 2B or potentially left field, where his bat can still play. 

My personal top 4 right now, in order, would be: Hiura, Adell, Baz, Bukauskas. I put Bukauskas last because I believe he doesn't make it to #10 but if the recent bad stretch scares teams off enough, he's incredible value at 10. While there's reliever risk based on his size and mechanics, he owns a 93-97 mph fastball with a plus slider and many think he has the arm action and pitchability to eventually have an average change up. 

Players I'd shy away from are Jeren Kendall(swing and miss issues), Pavin Smith(Thaiss pt. 2) and Alex Faedo(surgeries done on both knees, velocity drop, reliever risk). 

Haseley seems like a pretty realistic pick and a decent compromise of both ceiling and ability to impact the MLB team quickly. Even with the #10 pick, I still think signabilty and the potential to save money for later picks will be a factor. Someone like Beck may require over-slot money and they may want to save that for the remainder of the draft.

4 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He has a commitment to the University of North Carolina, automatically leading to a signability concern.

Should we take a chance on him signing or going to college.

How does a top 10 pick not sign and go to college 

will his stock rise that much higher ?

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

It might have been John Sickels that said Haseley isn't good enough defensively for CF but also not good enough offensively for LF/RF.

My wish list would be 1. Adell 2. Beck 3. Hiura.

I'm torn on Haseley. A potential outcome for him is an above average defensive center fielder who can post a .280+ batting average, which gives you a 3+ win player. However, some scouts think he doesn't have the defensive chops for center fielder and doesn't have the profile for a corner outfield spot, which means you're looking at a potential 4th outfielder. If you believe he's the first player, which many teams believe he is, he makes plenty of sense in the top 10.