• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why did we trade Ervin?

Are you a new fan or something? He was one of the worst pitchers in baseball last season and was due to make 14 million dollars.

uh no I'm just trying to figure out our motive of trading him just because he was bad doesn't mean we needed to trade him. I it was $ then ok but if it was because he was bad then we're stupid.

uh no I'm just trying to figure out our motive of trading him just because he was bad doesn't mean we needed to trade him. I it was $ then ok but if it was because he was bad then we're stupid.

If someone doesn't perform you don't keep them around whether it's baseball, a fortune 500 company or McD's.  Saying "if it was because he was bad then we're stupid" is actually stupid. 

As to Ervin he's having an awesome year so far while he's playing in what I imagine is a lower stress environment.  For a guy who mentally didn't seem to be the strongest and you could almost count on him falling apart playing in somewhere like KC I think he's more likely to thrive.       

If someone doesn't perform you don't keep them around whether it's baseball, a fortune 500 company or McD's.  Saying "if it was because he was bad then we're stupid" is actually stupid. 

As to Ervin he's having an awesome year so far while he's playing in what I imagine is a lower stress environment.  For a guy who mentally didn't seem to be the strongest and you could almost count on him falling apart playing in somewhere like KC I think he's more likely to thrive.       

As long as your point is we should fire Butcher, I agree completely  B)

Nearly every player that comes here declines. Nearly every healthy player that leaves the Angels organization improves. That's on the coaching staff.

He was the most frustrating Angels regular I can remember. I'm absolutely glad he is gone. I don't care if he wins the Cy Young this year. He sure as hell wouldn't have done it in an Angels uniform.

this, this, and only this.  Good riddance, Ervina.

As long as your point is we should fire Butcher, I agree completely  B)

Nearly every player that comes here declines. Nearly every healthy player that leaves the Angels organization improves. That's on the coaching staff.

I need to get Dipoto on the horn and inform him of this.

Joe Blanton is owed 6.5mil this year then 7.5mil the following year with a 1 million dollar buy out after that to get rid of him. I don't see the reasoning behind trading Ervin Santana just to replace him for the same money basically with a piece of garbage like Joe Blanton. It's not like Joe Blanton is doing bad, he's pitching exactly like you would expect him to. He has had a 5era and 1.5ish WHIP in the national league for the past 2 years which equates to a 6era in the AL which is where he is at now. Ervin was never ever ever as bad as Joe Blanton. I guess the reason they traded Ervin was to save the money in 2013 so they could pay Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols? THANKS DIPOTO. This is EXACTLY why this season is dead, because Joe Blanton pitches every 5 days.

Joe Blanton is owed 6.5mil this year then 7.5mil the following year with a 1 million dollar buy out after that to get rid of him. I don't see the reasoning behind trading Ervin Santana just to replace him for the same money basically with a piece of garbage like Joe Blanton. It's not like Joe Blanton is doing bad, he's pitching exactly like you would expect him to. He has had a 5era and 1.5ish WHIP in the national league for the past 2 years which equates to a 6era in the AL which is where he is at now. Ervin was never ever ever as bad as Joe Blanton. I guess the reason they traded Ervin was to save the money in 2013 so they could pay Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols? THANKS DIPOTO. This is EXACTLY why this season is dead, because Joe Blanton pitches every 5 days.

Blanton was a bad signing, but lets not muddy up facts here. Blanton has never had a full season as bad as Santana did last year. Or 2007. And arguably 2009. Santana is an inconsistent headcase who would go from having a good year (2006, 2008, and 2011) to an awful one (2007, 2009, and 2012).

I'm not saying Blanton is any better, but he's cheaper than Santana and while it's extremely unlikely he will pitch as well as Ervin in his best years, it's also unlikely he will pitch like Ervin in his worst.

Blanton was a bad signing, but lets not muddy up facts here. Blanton has never had a full season as bad as Santana did last year. Or 2007. And arguably 2009. Santana is an inconsistent headcase who would go from having a good year (2006, 2008, and 2011) to an awful one (2007, 2009, and 2012).

I'm not saying Blanton is any better, but he's cheaper than Santana and while it's extremely unlikely he will pitch as well as Ervin in his best years, it's also unlikely he will pitch like Ervin in his worst.

Actually, Joe Blanton and Ervin Santan both gave up about 100 earned runs last year. Blanton pitched a couple more innings and had a 5ish ERA, in the national league. Ervin Santana also had a 5.16 era. Also, Blanton also gave up a shit ton more hits than Ervin Santana last year, like 40 more hits! Take into account that Blanton had the luxury of pitching around the 8th hitter in the lineup for the free out pitcher in the 9 hole and I would say Blanton had a far far worse year than Ervin Santana did. Yet, our boy Dipoto thought it would be smart to cut ties with Ervin who obviously has way more upside and bring in a scrap like Blanton who has virtually 0 upside. Listen, i'd be all on board with the Ervin trade if it meant we replaced him with something better, but we didn't. We replaced him with a 0 upside loser and now all have to suffer because of it.

Actually, Joe Blanton and Ervin Santan both gave up about 100 earned runs last year. Blanton pitched a couple more innings and had a 5ish ERA, in the national league. Ervin Santana also had a 5.16 era. Also, Blanton also gave up a shit ton more hits than Ervin Santana last year, like 40 more hits! Take into account that Blanton had the luxury of pitching around the 8th hitter in the lineup for the free out pitcher in the 9 hole and I would say Blanton had a far far worse year than Ervin Santana did. Yet, our boy Dipoto thought it would be smart to cut ties with Ervin who obviously has way more upside and bring in a scrap like Blanton who has virtually 0 upside. Listen, i'd be all on board with the Ervin trade if it meant we replaced him with something better, but we didn't. We replaced him with a 0 upside loser and now all have to suffer because of it.

Ya except Ervin pitched in one the friendliest pitch parks in baseball, and Blanton pitched in a complete bandbox.

Santana was easily one of the worst pitchers in the game last year, and while Blanton wasn't great either he wasn't making 13 million.

Other little known reason to trade Santana: he has been pitching with a torn UCL for a number of years. He has used a number of methods to avoid TJ surgery. A reason he's been a HeadCase and a reason to dump him. Heard DiPoto wanted to trade him before 2012 but Arte didn't let it happen. Not sure if story is true but it makes ya think.