• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Clay Buchholz has been cheating (Alleged)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/05/04/baseball-notes-allegations-against-clay-buchholz-don-hold-any-water/9HECkdt5sBtHMSqBfOZ3TM/story.html

some people are claiming the allegations are unfounded but isn't using substances to doctor the ball considered cheating? he's been putting a paste made of rosin and water on his arm. it certainly seems that would fall under the definition of cheating.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with his next start. He has to be caught in the act for any punishment to be applied.

MLB Network did show that his arm was wet, and just his left arm. They also showed him pouring water on it in the dugout and use of the rosin bag (which, in and of itself, is perfectly legal).

They also showed that last year, the same arm was not wet.

Could the combination of water and rosin, when applied to a pitched ball, make it move differently or with a more pronounced motion? That is the question.

Considering Texas won all their games against Boston I didn't see what the big deal was until I checked out this:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

Buchholz has a commanding lead on the ESPN CYA predictor (not that that means much this early) ahead of Darvish in second.

Also, don't look at who is #3 in the NL. Too depressing. 

Since when is rosin a foreign substance? A pitcher can walk to the back of the mound before every pitch and apply it . Mix it with perspiration by wiping your brow, and wallah, you have the same thing Buchholz has.

Its suppose to be used to get a better grip on the ball by drying your hands. Mixing it with water creates a slick substance that doctors the way a ball spins thru the air. So yes, the way he is using it is cheating.

darvish has 25 more ks than buchholz and buccholz isn't going to sustain an ERA of 1.

anyway, if spit can affect the movement of a ball, i'm not sure how rosin paste can't.

Pitchers would prefer spit since it allows the ball to slide off the fingers and create more spin. Rosin doesn't give that sliding motion.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with his next start. He has to be caught in the act for any punishment to be applied.

MLB Network did show that his arm was wet, and just his left arm. They also showed him pouring water on it in the dugout and use of the rosin bag (which, in and of itself, is perfectly legal).

They also showed that last year, the same arm was not wet.

Could the combination of water and rosin, when applied to a pitched ball, make it move differently or with a more pronounced motion? That is the question.

He's making his first start since the little incident. So far, he's pitched 5 innings and he's given up 4 runs (7 hits and 2 walks). He struggled in the first inning, but has settled down since the first inning.

I'm glad he leveled out, like I knew he would. I knew he wouldn't stay this way for much longer now everyone can shut up about the cheating. Not trying to be a homer, but I highly doubt he was cheating. Most of the time, he was throwing balls low and away that would get those K's or at least a ground outs. He's always used the rosin, which is legal and thrown water on himself in the dugout all the time. He'll he still wears the same jersey from years ago. Some people will really find anything they can to discredit a team. Toronto is the last team that should talk about cheating.

Two veteran pitchers and one source close to the Red Sox told Yahoo! Sports that about 90 percent of major league pitchers use some form of spray-on sunscreen – almost always BullFrog brand – that when combined with powdered rosin gives them a far superior grip on the ball.

a70eee45-26b9-436c-a45a-c743ce65cf55_1evBoston pitcher Clay Buchholz's move to his left forearm is sometimes part of his pre-pitch ritual."Sunscreen and rosin could be used as foundation for houses," one American League pitcher said. "Produces a tack, glue-like substance that engineers would be jealous of."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/it-s-always-sunny--sources-say-sunscreen-trick-is-pitchers--latest-way-to-gain-an-edge-173953962.html