• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Ryan Bolden Still With the Organization?

Eddie Bane's high risk drafting is one of the many reasons this org is down in 2013.

For every Trout, he drafted 5-10 high risk players in the very early rounds who never really made it up here.

Most of his few successes were later round picks like Trumbo, Bourjos, and if he had lived Nick Adenhart.

Look at Conger, a first round pick in 2006 who now at age 25 is still not truly a MLB caliber player.

Bane never learned that high risk picks were better served in the rounds beyond the first few. 

• 3 months later...

The danger of drafting athletes first, baseball players second with a high pick, particularly with high school players.

Zach told me a few years ago that Bolden is a very athletic guy. Chiseled body without ever having to lift weights. Fast as hell. Looks like he could play football. I think he was offered a bunch of scholarships to play college football. Told Zach he didn't want to get hit.

He's not a baseball player. Gauging guys with metal bats against high school competition can be extremely misleading.

Any juice on Chevy Clarke?

I think Clarke falls into the same mold as Bolden. Athletic kid. He's definitely got tools. But he's just never figured it out. Still a raw baseball player. He would have benefited from some seasoning in college. But then again I'm not convinced he would have even been a good college player.

My source told me he's self-centered and kind of a loner. Used to listen to music and randomly shout obscenities like he had Tourettes or something.

I think Clarke falls into the same mold as Bolden. Athletic kid. He's definitely got tools. But he's just never figured it out. Still a raw baseball player. He would have benefited from some seasoning in college. But then again I'm not convinced he would have even been a good college player.

My source told me he's self-centered and kind of a loner. Used to listen to music and randomly shout obscenities like he had Tourettes or something.

:lol:

This is one of the reasons I still like Dipoto - he appears to use a sabermetric approach to the draft.  I just don't think Dipoto would have allowed Bane to pick those first 5 players in the 2010 draft.  He would have pulled a Billy Beane.  We had 5 picks in the first 40 picks and the only one that looks decent so far is Lindsey.  With that said, besides Walker and Castellanos, I don't see many successful players that were picked after our first pick (Cowart - 18th overall).  So, maybe 2010 was just not a very deep draft.