• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sports Hernias

Have any of you guys suffered from a sports hernia or other groin injury?

The last few days I've had mild groin pain whenever I cough, laugh, take a deep breath, or roll over in bed.  The pain (so far) is confined to my waist area and a couple inches below there with no bulging or lumps, which I believe is consistent with a sports hernia.  I do go running from time to time, and recently I've been doing a lot of yard work (sprinkler repair) requiring some awkward stretching and squatting like a catcher at the same time, to avoid kneeling in mud.

The pain is momentary and far from chronic (maybe a 2 or 3 on a pain scale) and limited to the activities listed above. 

Don't worry, I'm not seeking medical advice, I just wonder if this sounds familiar to anyone.  Thanks!

Last track season i suffered from a Hernia in the groin area. The doctors didnt classify it as a "sports hernia" though so i don't know the difference..... I dont even know how i got it just one practice i was warming up and had a sharp shooting pain in my groin and it made me fall to my feet "pain scale of 1-10... 10!!!" 

Next day go to doctors, they said its a hernia so got surgery a week later and was sidelined for about a month or so.

Usually from a hernia you can feel a bulge... I am far from a medical professional though.  Is it something you can stretch at all?

My understanding is that sports hernias don't cause bulging, but the other types do.   I could be wrong...

When I first arrived in Saudi in 1997 I was playing a softball game without cleats and I slipped trying to plant and field a grounder. I thought I had pulled a groin but it turned out to be a hernia. I feel it during certain movements but nothing sharp or terribly painful so I haven't felt the need to let anyone slice open my crotch to fix it.

Usually from a hernia you can feel a bulge... I am far from a medical professional though.  Is it something you can stretch at all?

No. From WebMD: A hernia occurs when an organ or fatty tissue squeezes through a weak spot in a surrounding muscle or connective tissue called fascia. The most common types are inguinal (inner groin), incisional (resulting from an incision), femoral (outer groin), umbilical (belly button), and hiatal (upper stomach).

Stretching does nothing to help, and it may further aggravate the problem.

An explanation I read regarding a sports hernia is that it is actually a muscle tear - meaning that it isn't a hernia at all, in the classical sense. From SportsHernia.com: A sports hernia is probably the least understood of all the injuries that involve professional level and collegiate level athletes. A sports hernia is a tear to the oblique abdominal muscles. Unlike a traditional hernia, the sports hernia does not create a hole in abdominal wall. As a result, there is no visible bulge under the skin. This means making a definitive sports hernia diagnosis is difficult.

Like the others I'm no doctor.

From my experience, a groin hernia can be a process. The bulge may be the full blown hernia, but I think tears happen over time (sometimes) that get you there.

And I wouldn't stretch it; just rest it. Have a doctor check it at your annual. My experience is, they can tell if there is weakness that will soon lead to a hernia.