• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calolfornia

7 hours ago, Adam said:

3.) It isn't a right/left issue. It's a freedom issue. Individuals should be allowed to work as ICs if they want to.

I wouldn't exactly say it's a freedom issue. The issue is people need to be playing by the same rules. The problem we have in this state, and the country, is that "employee" and "independent contractor" are two separate sets of rules. The solution is to create a single classification that works more effectively for everyone. Of course that will never happen.

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I wouldn't exactly say it's a freedom issue. The issue is people need to be playing by the same rules. The problem we have in this state, and the country, is that "employee" and "independent contractor" are two separate sets of rules. The solution is to create a single classification that works more effectively for everyone. Of course that will never happen.

I agree. we should all be independent contractors

35 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Just wait to see what happens if Prop 15 passes.  

I always wonder how people support this crap then I come across comments from people who already voted in favor of it because "it funds schools" and they don't believe it will financially impact them.  Some people actually think businesses will just swallow tax hikes and not pass them on to consumers.  This state is screwed financially long term but passing this will only speed that up. 

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I always wonder how people support this crap then I come across comments from people who already voted in favor of it because "it funds schools" and they don't believe it will financially impact them.  Some people actually think businesses will just swallow tax hikes and not pass them on to consumers.  This state is screwed financially long term but passing this will only speed that up. 

There was an article in the LAT last week that basically derided anyone who was against P15 because "large corporations need to pay their share!"  What was not brought up was that most businesses lease their space from a large corporation and the structure of their lease is triple net (NNN) which basically means the lessee is responsible for base rent plus their share of Common Area Maintenance, Insurance and....Property Taxes.  So all of the small businesses that have been kicked in the nuts by the lockdown are going to see massive spikes in their lease payments if they lease their space. 

So the small business costs will increase, which will increase prices, and everyone will look around asking WUT HAPPENED while we just funded the teachers union pensions.

I don't know why I waste my money on the LAT, it's literally only good for lighting charcoal and maybe the crossword.  

8 minutes ago, AngelsLongBall said:

There was an article in the LAT last week that basically derided anyone who was against P15 because "large corporations need to pay their share!"  What was not brought up was that most businesses lease their space from a large corporation and the structure of their lease is triple net (NNN) which basically means the lessee is responsible for base rent plus their share of Common Area Maintenance, Insurance and....Property Taxes.  So all of the small businesses that have been kicked in the nuts by the lockdown are going to see massive spikes in their lease payments if they lease their space.

The Company I work for fell into this category along with every other tenant in our previous business complex.  The prior owner sold and with the new tax basis and property tax increase the total amount attributed to us was over half a million dollars.  The lease was written such that in the case of a sale the prior landlord would be on the hook for some of it but it still ended up costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.  We had a good chunk of square footage but passing prop 15 even if it has limits on the annual increase would put lessee's in the same situation we were in when our building was sold.  Every year we got our CAM analysis and there's a cap per square foot on what the landlord pays while anything beyond that falls to the tenants. 

Passing prop 15 at a time when companies are already seeing how much they can have people work from home would hurt office rental space even more.  Our lease was up this year and the intent was to get a space of a certain size.  Because of the impacts of COVID our new space is much cheaper on a per square foot basis and is a third of the size of what they originally intended as everyone voted to split working from home and the office going forward.  Pinterest paid 90M to terminate a lease in San Fran that would have cost them 440M in minimum lease payments while they "analyze how our workplace will change post COVID."  A survey found that if tech companies in Nor Cal allowed workers to work from home permanently two thirds would leave the area.  Passing prop 15 is terribly short sighted even in normal times. 

2 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

If see a proposition that makes this kind of statement then I automatically vote no

6 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I've voted no for years on anything that is paid for by issuing bonds.  I may not be opposed to what the funds would be used for but until we can get our financial house in order I'm not going to support burdening future taxpayers with more debt. 

yeah, I did exactly what you said in regards to Prop 14.  It's not that I don't agree with what it's used for.  Just against, $5.5 billion in bonds at around $260 million for 30 years.  That money has to come from somewhere.  it's Calolfornia so it's not coming from the homeless funds or teachers funds or firefighter funds or police funds.  And considering we are what $48 billion in the red, every dime is even going to be more important.

11 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I've voted no for years on anything that is paid for by issuing bonds.  I may not be opposed to what the funds would be used for but until we can get our financial house in order I'm not going to support burdening future taxpayers with more debt. 

I just don't believe our elected officials when they say what it's for