• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calolfornia

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Honestly, I have no problem with this as long as every school is allowed to do it.  Let the kids be paid for their talent. 

The NCAA brings in 1 billion a year in revenue. Plenty of people get rich off it.  But the actual talent can't earn some money on the side by promoting stuff?

Schools with more money will win out

18 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Free clothes
Free room & board
Free food (maybe)
Must keep a daily work schedule that will take up most of your day
No rights to your name or likeness
Not allowed to accept compensation
No legal path to avoiding these circumstances

images.jpeg.bd684548fa2bf618f90d0f9fe2577fa3.jpeg

Give me a break with the slave shit.... this is why i dont take some people seriously, this level of exaggeration is just the dumbest damned thing in history. 
They are getting a free education for playing a damned game.  The good ones end up set for live and dont even bother finishing their degrees anyway.   If thats slavery where do i sign up.  

18 minutes ago, floplag said:

Give me a break with the slave shit.... this is why i dont take some people seriously, this level of exaggeration is just the dumbest damned thing in history. 
They are getting a free education for playing a damned game.  The good ones end up set for live and dont even bother finishing their degrees anyway.   If thats slavery where do i sign up.  

"A damned game" that generates a billion dollars in revenue every year. 

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

Should those that receive academic scholarships be allowed to profit from selling their images if the opportunity presents itself?

4 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

"A damned game" that generates a billion dollars in revenue every year. 

Which is why they get those scholarships and then get to go make millions personally.
I agree that the schools make bank, but we all know th player arent starving with the lunch money, that shit is as old as the game itself it would seem. 
Bottom line, free education is payment for services rendered.

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Which is why they get those scholarships and then get to go make millions personally.
I agree that the schools make bank, but we all know th player arent starving with the lunch money, that shit is as old as the game itself it would seem. 
Bottom line, free education is payment for services rendered.

A vast majority of college athletes aren't going on to make millions. 

3 minutes ago, junkorama said:

Should those that receive academic scholarships be allowed to profit from selling their images if the opportunity presents itself?

When you can name even 1 that could actually do that, well discuss hypothetical... but my answer to that questions would still be no.  It should apply evenly in all cases. 

Just now, st1ckboy said:

A vast majority of college athletes aren't going on to make millions. 

Then they got the better of the deal with the education, didnt they?  WE hear all this about loan forgiveness and how its starting life in debt... well they dont have that worry so... isnt that payment?

15 minutes ago, floplag said:

Then they got the better of the deal with the education, didnt they?  WE hear all this about loan forgiveness and how its starting life in debt... well they dont have that worry so... isnt that payment?

Sure, but is it enough? 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

if it isn't, they don't have to sign up for it. they know the deal when they accept the terms. 

To be honest, I really don't give a shit about the whole paying, or not paying student athletes. I wouldn't mind some sort of base pay though. I get annoyed when people downplay what these guys do as just playing a game. Like itjust some pick-up game at the local park before Thanksgiving dinner. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

if it isn't, they don't have to sign up for it. they know the deal when they accept the terms. 

This is true.

It will also be true in 2022 or thereabouts. 

The discussion isn't really about whether or not they know the deal when they sign up. It's pretty obvious that they do and that's why it's being changed. The discussion is whether that should actually be the deal. It won't be soon.

thedeal.jpg

1 minute ago, st1ckboy said:

To be honest, I really don't give a shit about the whole paying, or not paying student athletes. I wouldn't mind some sort of base pay though. I get annoyed when people downplay what these guys do as just playing a game. Like itjust some pick-up game at the local park before Thanksgiving dinner. 

I agree. 

I get annoyed when people make these players out to be poor, starving students that wear rags around campus 

2 minutes ago, junkorama said:

This is true.

It will also be true in 2022 or thereabouts. 

The discussion isn't really about whether or not they know the deal when they sign up. It's pretty obvious that they do and that's why it's being changed. The discussion is whether that should actually be the deal. It won't be soon.

I'll discuss whatever I feel like discussing, pal. 

5 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

I get annoyed when people downplay what these guys do as just playing a game. Like itjust some pick-up game at the local park before Thanksgiving dinner. 

I dunno, man.

I went to some Cal games that would more or less qualify as this in almost all terms.

attendance, time and participant skill ‐> same

venue-> different