• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calolfornia

7 hours ago, floplag said:

Actually no, thats not the argument, the argument is if the states can override the NCAA.  
The NCAA sets the rules for all members institutions, not the CA assembly.   CA ha a lot more to worry about than what the point guard at UCLA is getting paid while getting free education. 
I personally am against athletes being paid while in school, if thats the case then they should forfeit the scholarships and allow them to be given to those who actually need or will use them.  The free education IS the pay in the age of student debt.   Cant have it both ways.  

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

See, that's the thing.  Say you pay the basketball and football players.  Eventually, the womens basketball team will demand equal payment.  Even though nobody watches them or will pay to go see them.  Then you have the golf, baseball, rowing and all the other sports that also receive scholarships.  What happens then?  Do you shut down all sports, except those that make enough money to sustain themselves?  Which is also fine.  As long as that is the rule, and not some special treatment of only some sports.  

Then you will have the million dollar question.  Say you pay college athletes.  Can you not say then that the colleges own their rights for the 4 years that they sign to go to the school?  No more 1 year, then go pro like football and basketball want you to do.  You want to leave, you have to pay a severance to get out of your contract.  That only seems fair, and what would happen in the real world.

Guys, the south lost, Lincoln is dead, you can lay down your muskets and go home, the war is over.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

Nobody is talking about paying the college athletes. They're talking about letting them make their own money through endorsement or sale of their image

That's not payment? 

What's to stop Oregon from promising a recruit a Phil Knight- induced Nike endorsement deal for signing with the Ducks? 

9 hours ago, floplag said:

I personally am against athletes being paid while in school, if thats the case then they should forfeit the scholarships and allow them to be given to those who actually need or will use them.  The free education IS the pay in the age of student debt.   Cant have it both ways.  

They can also pay for their housing, books, food, shoes, medical coverage, etc 

8 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I don't need to google Phil Knight. Are you a college coach trying to protect your endorsement deal? Do you hate the idea of a college kid making money outside of school?

Then why did you ask?

It's directly linked to school, rather, to playing a sport for that school. That makes him a professional. Again, if they want to incur ALL of the associated expenses of attending college, then fine. That includes paying for their medical care when they tear an ACL or suffer several concussions, lodging, books, food, clothing, etc. 

For the record, I think any athlete should be able to sign a professional contract without going to college or reaching a certain age. 

11 hours ago, Lou said:

Pretty sure thats being taken care of already... i mean im sorry its not the Ritz but hey if the dorms are good enough for everyone else. 
Heaven forbid they might have to... gulp ...  work a little?   Like everyone else?   OMG the horrors!  

11 hours ago, Lou said:

34 minutes ago, floplag said:

Pretty sure thats being taken care of already... i mean im sorry its not the Ritz but hey if the dorms are good enough for everyone else. 
Heaven forbid they might have to... gulp ...  work a little?   Like everyone else?   OMG the horrors!  

Flop: that's what he's saying.

39 minutes ago, floplag said:

Ummmm...

23 hours ago, gotbeer said:

California Lawmakers Advance Bill To Redefine And Protect Gig Economy Workers

Not sure I like this one.  Looks like another overreach to put regulations as the mob sees fit.  

As an employee, rather than an independent contractor, a worker is entitled to unemployment benefits and is expected to deposit money into the statewide fund.

So here is the taxation. Prop up this government program by insuring there are more participants paying into a pool. 

18 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Guys, the south lost, Lincoln is dead, you can lay down your muskets and go home, the war is over.

6 hours ago, floplag said:

No clue what that even means but that you for playing i guess. 

At least take the time to re-read your post before clicking submit.

I'm just saying, watching SEC football made me realize I hadn't seen that many black dudes sweating on a field for no wages since the emancipation proclamation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10

The NCAA is an 8 billion a year business.  In 2016 there were 24 schools whose athletics department takes in over 100 million a year.  

All kinds of people are getting rich off college athletics, but the athletes themselves can't make a dime from their own likeness?  It's not even a suggestion of schools paying them directly.  It's just allowing the athletes the freedom to seek out their own money, you know how a free market is supposed to work.